Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen handles... please help me!

(23 Posts)
martymcfry Wed 03-Dec-14 20:58:32

I'm hoping the mumsnet wise can help me please, as I'm driving myself crazy on this simple thing and unable to make a decision.

We have a brand new painted shaker style kitchen going in.... I'm really struggling on handles for doors, drawers and cupboards.

I don't want more than 2 styles so it doesn't seem messy e.g. Knob + Cup, or Pull handle (bar) and Knob

We have a built in larder fridge and larder freezer. Now I believe these warrant a pull handle (bar), but I can't find any I like - anyone know of any great websites that are not the same run of the mill that everything appears to be?

Or does anyone have a larder fridge etc which opens with a knob handle - is it a PITA and difficult to open?

I want something simple in stainless steel or brushed chrome, but all the pull/bar handles are too modern, and then the traditional ones are too traditional.....

Thank you smile

preggersbycheggers Wed 03-Dec-14 21:54:11

We bought ours here. They are the pewter effect cup handles.

www.relicsofwitney.co.uk/search/results/Cup%20handles

We have a knob handle on the fridge and freezer and its fine. Cup handles on drawers and dishwasher.

Marmitelover55 Wed 03-Dec-14 22:00:38

We too have a painted shaker style kitchen and I liked these - which are from B&Q!!i have them on drawers, cupboards and the larder. They are very similar in style/shape to my wine fridge handle and American fridge handles.

preggersbycheggers Wed 03-Dec-14 22:01:44

Here we go. Photo.

martymcfry Wed 03-Dec-14 22:03:00

Thank you preggars!

That site looks great - will nosy.

Is your fridge full larder height? i.e. with 1 door about 1.7m? I'm imagining spraining my weak wrists opening it with a knob 20 times a day ;)

martymcfry Wed 03-Dec-14 22:08:38

Sorry I was typing as you two were replying. Thank you for the pictures - beautiful kitchens. Marmite - will check out B&Q - I hadn't even thought about looking there.

Preggars - looks like you have a half and half F/F - I reckon that's why they work with knobs... I can't find a picture of a larder F integrated that has a knob - only larders (that have no suction IYSWIM)

I have weak wrists too sad

atticusclaw Wed 03-Dec-14 22:13:39

I have a mixture of stainless steel cup handles and glass knobs but would agree that a larder fridge with a strong closing mechanism might warrant a bar handle and the placement would also be important.

If you spend some time on Houzz (the US site not the UK site) then there are lots of pictures of kitchens with more than one type of handle and it really can look great.

preggersbycheggers Wed 03-Dec-14 22:18:29

Ahhhh yes. I agree larder fridge would be tricksy with a knob perhaps. For some reason I couldn't place what a larder fridge was. Have now googled.

Pinterest also good for ideas.

martymcfry Wed 03-Dec-14 22:23:03

Thanks atticus - I'm a regular on Houzz, but I've been trawling the UK site, so will look at the US one.

I've found nice pull handles on your link Preggars... they just dont come in the right finish - arrrggg www.relicsofwitney.co.uk/sites/www.relicsofwitney.co.uk/files/BC116A_0.jpg

relics Thu 04-Dec-14 08:40:54

Thank you for the recommendation 'preggersbycheggers'. Much appreciated!

atticusclaw Thu 04-Dec-14 08:48:23

Definitely go onto the US site. What is in style there gradually seems to make its way over to us in the UK. The UK site has so few users at the moment that it's a bit of a waste of time. There is a hardcore group of UK users on the US website who have lived on the US site for years and we refuse to move over until they get the UK site sorted. Pop onto the UK thread (on the US site) to say hello if you're there. If you speak to Oneplan she will have lots of suggestions.

How about a cup handle turned sideways, might give you the leverage you need?

atticusclaw Thu 04-Dec-14 08:50:15

www.larkandlarks.co.uk/kitchens/kitchen-handles/rod-bar-handles/stainless-steel-bar-handle-grab-rail

too chunky?

atticusclaw Thu 04-Dec-14 08:51:34

www.hardware-online-stores.com/new-free-shipping-furniture-cabinet-stainless-steel-door-pull-handle-drawer-knob-kitchen-bar-p-6644.html

relics Thu 04-Dec-14 09:27:09

It's a shame you don't live nearby martymcfry. We also have these available as examples in the shop (they are not stock items).
www.relicsofwitney.co.uk

martymcfry Thu 04-Dec-14 09:54:53

Oh wow - you lot are awesome

Atticus - I hadn't even thought about a cup handle turned sideways! That is genuis. I'm going to get a couple and see how it looks. I also like the ones you've linked to.

Relics - Thank you! I really like the pull handles in your pic. Can you PM me details on sizes and prices? If they are available to order, I may order a sample.

preggersbycheggers Thu 04-Dec-14 21:17:33

Love it in Relics. So lucky to have such an amazing shop in my town.

PinkOboe Thu 04-Dec-14 23:20:16

Ooo I also have a knobs thread on the go...and am quite near witney

Those in the first picture, I love the finish. Is it sort of dull, rather than shiny? What's that called? And you say they're not stock items, does that mean you order them in?

RaisingSteam Fri 05-Dec-14 14:55:27

Cup handles are meant for drawers IMO- it irritates me to see them on cupboards.

Could you go for a combination in a matching finish - as here (John Lewis of Hungerford). I know what you mean about mixing too many things, but knobs/handles that don't do the job are even worse.

relics Mon 08-Dec-14 10:09:35

Hello PinkOboe. I think the finish you mean is the 'Britannium', which is a duller finish. Not all items are available in all finishes (Britannium, White Bronze, Bronze, Antique Bronze). Most of the items on this particular board we order in. Do let us know if we can help with anything else.

PinkOboe Mon 08-Dec-14 18:17:40

Ahhh yes. Handcrafted from semi-precious metal and £18 each. Of coooouuurse they're nice. Why doesnt the much sought after, finally found, perfectly shaped thing ever turn out to be the cheap one sad

Now nothing will compare and I'll forever lust after the beautiful lovely, expensive handles

PinkOboe Mon 08-Dec-14 18:18:52

Sorry, forgot to thank you for your response relics smile

Mrsladybirdface Mon 08-Dec-14 21:21:49

Mine are very similar too preggers but a quarter of the price...They are really fab quality

www.catchesandlatches.co.uk/cup-handles/

RoganJosh Mon 08-Dec-14 21:33:38

We had a tall larder on our last kitchen. It looked like two doors, but was only one. It had two knobs, one on each 'door'. It was fine to open.

There's a pic of similar (may be a larder, may be two actual cupboards, but this is what it looked like).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now