Talk

Advanced search

Help - how to work this Dimplex wall heater?

(21 Posts)
stargirl04 Wed 05-Nov-14 16:23:13

Hi, I was under the impression I had a storage heater but really have no idea, and I'm definitely on an Economy 7 tariff.

Would anyone with knowledge of such things be kind enough to explain to me how I operate this heater?

Am I supposed to time it to charge overnight, on the assumption it releases heat during the day, or is it a panel heater, giving immediate heat whenever it is switched on, and not, in fact, a storage heater?

I moved into this flat a few months ago and haven't needed the heating on till now. All I know is that it's a Dimplex heater but can't find the make and model details. (And the previous owners now ignore any questions I ask them about how to operate appliances etc!)

Here are some pics - if anyone could help I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks!

specialsubject Wed 05-Nov-14 16:40:19

you appear to have heat control and a timer. First thing is to try to switch it on outside the economy 7 times - you can get those from your supplier but if you are there now at around 5pm it is unlikely to be economy time.

if it comes on, then it either isn't a storage heater or is incorrectly wired.

make and model probably on the back or underneath - got a mirror or a thin camera?

stargirl04 Wed 05-Nov-14 16:44:42

Hi Special, the heater is attached to a wall and I tried to put my compact mirror up there to see, to no avail. And I don't have a thin camera either.

I did have the heater on last night as it was freezing - after midnight - and it was emitting heat straight away. My economy 7 hours are from midnight till 7am for the cheaper rate.

specialsubject Wed 05-Nov-14 16:48:27

way ahead of me...

so does it heat up now outside economy 7 hours?

if this fails I can't think of anything beyond taking it off the wall. Hopefully it isn't your only heater!

stargirl04 Wed 05-Nov-14 16:55:09

No, not my only heater, Special. I will switch it on now to see if it heats up.

stargirl04 Wed 05-Nov-14 16:58:47

The switch to the right of the timer gives me a manual option, so that's the one I've pressed and it's emitting heat!

specialsubject Wed 05-Nov-14 17:32:38

I will plump for 'not a storage heater'.

you've got the left hand dial for heat levels, plus the one in the middle for low or high. The right hand dial is for setting the times. Put the right hand switch to timed to make it come on and off at those times, and to manual as you have just done to keep it on. The middle is off.

Pipbin Wed 05-Nov-14 17:38:38

I had that exact one in my house with storage heaters.

It isn't a storage heater. Set the time you want it to come on one the clock.

The slider switch on the side is clock = timer, circle = off and hand = on.

You need to switch it on at the wall too.

Pipbin Wed 05-Nov-14 17:40:18

Oh yes, the left hand dial is a thermostat.

I fucking hate fucking useless storage heaters.
I had one of the heaters you are asking about in my kitchen. It was the only warm room in the house because it was the only heater that I could actually turn on when I was cold!

Pipbin Wed 05-Nov-14 17:42:40

And the dot on the right of the thermostat dial is a red light that will come on when the heater is on.

My advice is to buy an oil filled radiator for your main living area now, before they sell out when it gets cold. Storage heaters are bollocks and you will need back up heat.

specialsubject Wed 05-Nov-14 19:08:36

storage heaters do work well on the right tariff and if correctly used. But the OP doesn't have one here.

Pipbin Thu 06-Nov-14 00:21:31

You can't get the tariff where they 'top up' in the middle of the day anymore. Only if you are already on it I think.

PigletJohn Thu 06-Nov-14 08:47:13

You say you are on an "economy 7" tariff. It would be unusual to have that if there are no night storage or UFH heaters.

Go to your electricity supplier's website (or any other) and look for the "how to read my meter" page. Take some readings over several days. See if it is using much off-peak power.

Post some pics of your consumer units, your meter(s) and timer, if any, and the various wires around and between them.

You may also have a hot water cylinder or thermal store. What colour and shape please? Photos again.

If there are any other wall thermostats or timers, photos please.

Presumably there is no gas boiler.

Pipbin Thu 06-Nov-14 10:24:59

As I said though, I had storage heaters in the rest of my house, but exactly this heater in one room.

redstrawberrypie Thu 06-Nov-14 10:42:35

It looks like model number PLX125NTI. It is not a storage heater

PigletJohn Thu 06-Nov-14 11:06:21

OK, it sounds like it is intended to be a top-up heater for when the storage has run down or the room is not warm enough. The peak-rate electricity will be more expensive. Depending on your timer and meter, all your sockets might get off-peak during the timed period.

If you are in a modern flat, and not on the ground floor, you will get the benefit of heat from the people downstairs once they have their heating running.

stargirl04 Thu 06-Nov-14 20:45:32

Thanks for these answers folks - it's really helpful. I don't think this particular heater is a storage heater actually.

Piglet John - thanks, I will get these pics posted on here hopefully tomorrow as I'm at work tonight. You are correct - I don't have a gas boiler but a water heater. But I am definitely on economy 7 as I checked with British Gas. I operate washing machine and dryer in the off-peak hours overnight.

Pipbin, is an oil filled radiator cheaper?

Thanks!

Pipbin Thu 06-Nov-14 21:06:36

I found that I needed an oil filled radiator to top up the storage heaters when they ran out of heat at about 8pm.
It wasn't a case of cheaper, it was a case of actually producing heat when I wanted it to.

seb1 Sat 08-Nov-14 17:34:36

Tariff times

Pipbin Sat 08-Nov-14 18:23:05

I had no idea the times were different in different areas.
I used to know when our economy 7 came on because it would click.

PigletJohn Sat 08-Nov-14 18:44:46

the times vary even down the same street. This is so they don't all switch on at the same time and cause a huge power surge which overwhelms the grid.

The precise time of yours may be switched by a wireless signal from the electricity co. If radio reception is poor it ticks along on a timer inside or next to the meter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now