Talk

Advanced search

Polished concrete kitchen worktops

(10 Posts)
CarlaBrooni Thu 24-Oct-13 10:49:21

Does anyone have these? I like the look of them but don't know how robust they are or what the downsides are.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 24-Oct-13 20:34:38

The cabinets underneath need to be sturdy and the worksurface will also benefit from resting on a batten securely fixed into the wall too - concrete is very versatile and can be dyed various ways to get colour and pattern interest too - it will need to be sealed properly afterwards, small pieces could be DIY with care - but better get the pro's in for larger projects !

MrsFlorrick Sat 26-Oct-13 09:17:19

Very robust. You need a serious sealant or it can stain.

It will develop a patina over time which is part of the charm and the rough luxe look.

If not made by a very experienced professional, it can crack.

Don't skimp on price because you do need an experienced manufacturer who is fully insured to make it. If you just got a general builder to make it, you will end up with something which can crack and crumble.

Major downside is actually manufacturing cost. It's more expensive than pretty much all other types of work top. You could get bespoke marble imported and at a 40mm or even 50mm thickness (standard is 20 or 30 "off the shelf") and it would still be cheaper than concrete.

CarlaBrooni Sat 26-Oct-13 15:17:07

I didn't realise it would be that expensive MrsFlorrick. That's it ruled out then.

Brugmansia Sat 26-Oct-13 15:28:44

We're thinking of doing it and dp is trying to persuade me he can make it himself. He's very good at stuff like that and (weirdly) is a bit obsessed with concrete. He's been researching how to on the internet and there are quite a few tutorials.

If he did make one it should be pretty cheap because the materials shouldn't cost much. Getting it right will probably be time consuming though, which is why I believe it costs a lot to get one made. At the moment I'm thinking of letting him have a go and if it looks rubbish we'll replace it with a different type of worktop.

MrsFlorrick Sun 27-Oct-13 12:17:36

Carla. If concrete is too expensive, there are other ways to achieve the rough luxe look if that is what you are going for?

If it is then have a look at sites like Houzz.com for stainless steel worktops. If done it the right way and paired with the right sort of kitchen units and elements of wood, you can get the look that way. And stainless steel worktops even the bespoke made, are quite inexpensive compared to other types.

Another option is slate. But and it's a big but slate will develop a patina. You cannot really seal slate and its softer so it will end up with marks from knives and other implements and scratches.

Again could work well with rough luxe look though as long as you are comfortable with a worktop with a distinct patina.

If not then look at granite again but not polished. Look at getting honed granite. It could work too. If you go to a proper stone mason rather than all those basic kitchen worktop people who have a limited choice of granites. A proper stone mason can get you any stone you like and you can even chose the actual slab before you buy. And they can have it finished it which ever way you like (ie honed or satino)

Have a look at Pisani. They are one of the UKs biggest importers of stone. My 40mm marble worktop came via them and I had it honed (most stone arrives polished in the UK so you will have to ask to have it honed etc). You can visit Pisanis yard out at Heathrow to see their stock. It's amazing.

Bruges. It needs to be cast in situ. If it goes wrong you will probably ruin your kitchen units completely.

Is your DH a trade who works with concrete? If not and he is an obsessive DIYer, it wouldn't do given the damage you'll end up with if it goes wrong.

CarlaBrooni Sun 27-Oct-13 12:58:26

Mrs Florrick - thanks for all the tips. My initial thoughts involving the polished concrete was to have some of the kitchen polished concrete and some stainless steel as I quite fancy mixing worktops.

I was asking DH today if he'd feel confident enough to try to DIY but he pointed out about the mess and upheaval of removal if it went wrong
I've never considered slate - so I'll look at that.

I believe granite stains quite easily so probably not for me: I don't mind a patina.

Off to check out slate.

MrsFlorrick Tue 29-Oct-13 08:21:38

Carla. Granite doesn't stain easily. Concrete would stain much more easily than granite.

If you don't like stains. Steel is for you.

MrsFlorrick Tue 29-Oct-13 09:11:48

Carla. Kitchen in my old house was stainless steel worktops on both wall and island units. Door fronts were flat wood painted (similar to Harvey Jones Linear). It was really fab. Sink was cast in one piece as part of the worktop.

It looked great and I didn't need to take care of it. It's extremely robust. I did everything they tell you not to do. I put hot pans on it (daily), I sat on it and so did DH and I cleaned it with bleach (Milton). And it looked amazing even the day we moved out. The new owners thought the kitchen was new. It was 10 years old. All I had done was repaint the wood doors in a nice F&B shade.

We put new kitchen in our current house last year. It's a solid painted wood modern shaker style kitchen and worktops are honed bianco Carrara marble. It looks amazing. Marble can't be battered the way SS can but it has proved surprisingly robust so far. Having it honed helps as I don't have to worry if I spill something acidic on it. If your worktop is polished, acidic things will take the polish off and leave a matt mark.

Have a look at these:

www.stainlesssteelworktopsuk.co.uk/Made+To+Measure+Stainless+Steel+Worktops/0_CAAA026.htm

www.cavendishequipment.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Kitchens/Stainless-Steel-Worktops

www.saddlebackslate.com/

Slate will mark a lot but it does have an amazing look and quality to it. Get a sample and batter it a bit and pour different stuff onto it and see whether you like how it reacts.

It also comes a 40mm as standard so its nice and chunky.

MrsFlorrick Tue 29-Oct-13 09:14:59

Sorry this slate one is better

www.slateworktops.co.uk/gallery/gallery/pk.html

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »