Talk

Advanced search

Integrated dishwashers - pros & cons?

(8 Posts)
Ponks Mon 09-May-11 21:24:32

Kitchen planning in our new extension is getting to a critical stage & I have to decide whether to use our existing dishwasher (freestanding, very quiet, but about 5+ years old) or go for a new integrated d/w.
The new kitchen will be part of a large living / dining / kitchen space so integrated would probably look better (though d/w will be part hidden behind a peninsula section, and the units will be gloss white so freestanding one wouldn't really stick out like sore thumb). However have always been bit wary in case something goes wrong with them - is it more difficult to get to the plumbing etc? What would you do?

lalalonglegs Mon 09-May-11 21:44:42

Mine slides out like a normal dishwasher, the panel that matches the rest of the unit is held on with maybe half a dozen screws so it comes off and you can get to the wiring, if you need to, with no massive fuss. I think they look miles nicer, can't really think of any cons except they are more expensive. If you're happy with your dw, you could always keep it and get an integrated when it packs in, the space should be identical.

diggingintheribs Mon 09-May-11 21:47:46

one con is that they beep a lot to tell you they have finished. i find that v annoying

compromise is an integral with the control panel on the outside. get better functionality on those too

Ponks Mon 09-May-11 22:20:35

LOL, our current dishwasher has such a piercing beep that it can wake me up at night if we forget to close the kitchen door!
Didn't realise it would be identical space as would be left for a freestanding, I'll check with the kitchen guy but sounds like a great idea to get a door & handle now and just replace it later on.

Decorhate Mon 09-May-11 22:28:24

You know you need to get a special door, right? I replaced mine with an integrated one when we had our kitchen done as I figured that with my luck the old one would break down as soon as the builders left!

Ponks Mon 09-May-11 22:39:54

That's what I;m worried about Decorhate - would be typical. Are they smaller inside than regular dishwashers? <know that sounds stupid>
The cost is something I could do without but we are trying to do things properly and I don't want to regret not changing.

diggingintheribs Mon 09-May-11 22:46:40

same size - my best dishwasher was an integrated miele, still miss it!

and they slide out very easily

trumpton Mon 09-May-11 23:05:44

I would second the idea of keeping your dishwasher but buying the front panel for an integrated one and only use it if you need to replace the dishwasher

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »