Talk

Advanced search

Residential trips for Primary school children

(17 Posts)
user1494411054 Fri 12-May-17 16:07:13

I've just found out that my yr3 was put in a dorm with a child with behavioural problem and under a Child Protection Policy.
An incident has happened. Should three vulnerable children at that age be allowed to be share a dorm together.

Astro55 Fri 12-May-17 16:10:41

What happened?

What time did it happen and who was responsible for their welfare?

Did the child have 1:1 support on the trip?

user1494411054 Fri 12-May-17 17:13:03

The children were left alone to go sleep. No 1.1 support.
I just feel my child was put in danger. It happened to another child.

Should children with behavioural and learning difficulties be left alone at all? Its happening at school at playtime. .

soapboxqueen Fri 12-May-17 17:20:12

A child having special needs does not preclude them from sharing spaces with other children. The better question is, should knowledge of the child's previous behaviour mean the school should have risk assessed the child separately? Was the incident easily predicted? Was it even feasible to have adult supervision during the night?

CaulkheadNorth Fri 12-May-17 17:22:16

should three vulnerable children be allowed to share a dorm together

Are the other children vulnerable due to their age or do they have additional needs?

Would you rather they had had an adult sleep in the dorm too?

whoisA Fri 12-May-17 17:23:56

They will have done a risk assessment surely?

wowbutter Fri 12-May-17 17:24:19

As the school were aware of the issues they should have risk assessed this properly.

If the risk was low, they have done nothing wrong.

What was the incident?

whoisA Fri 12-May-17 17:24:53

And what do you mean behaviour problem?
My dd has behaviour problems and has previously been under social care but she can share a room with no problem

user1494411054 Fri 12-May-17 17:30:20

All different needs and the event should have been predicted. I've just found out a serious incident happened before the trip. The child was allowed to go and placed with kids with learning difficulties.
When I say vulnerable I mean learning difficulties. It just feels like non of the children are protected.

CaulkheadNorth Fri 12-May-17 17:37:03

the event should have been predicted

How?

Anasnake Fri 12-May-17 17:41:30

So nothing actually happened on the trip itself ??

Astro55 Fri 12-May-17 17:44:33

In this instance you should write a formal complaint

This will do 2 things

One give your child support - and it will go in the other child's file for referral/help

The other child's parents should be asking questions about 'known' risk and strategies that were implemented -

If he was a danger to others then he should've had alternative arrangements to safeguard the ALL the children

gatorgolf Fri 12-May-17 17:48:33

My primary school child with asd has just come back from one night residential. He shared with two others but they put he with two quite sensible children who are also his friends

user1494411054 Fri 12-May-17 17:51:40

Many thanks. I won't mention the incident as its very serious.
Its clear they got it wrong. I just want to make sure this never happens again and that all the children are safe.

FrancisCrawford Fri 12-May-17 17:51:59

How should the event have been predicted?

user1494411054 Fri 12-May-17 17:58:29

Repeat pattern of behaviour

Astro55 Fri 12-May-17 20:10:46

So you email the school with this information

They will not discuss the other child - and probably won't give you any answers - but having it reported in writing - both to the head and governors will have to answer the questions to someone

Also - are they over 10 years? Could you contact the police or social services?

If it's assult anyway - ring the police and get the boys mother to report it as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now