Talk

Advanced search

Mrs Wordsmith

(33 Posts)
ToohotforaSeptday Tue 07-Feb-17 14:05:07

Have you used it and what do you think? Am considering a subscription for Y2 DS, but wondering if the program is interesting and effective enough to warrant the cost.

skal Tue 07-Feb-17 16:00:01

Samples look nice but certainly very pricey. I would be interested to see what responses you get here as I haven't used it either.

BreadAndChipsPlease Tue 07-Feb-17 19:53:47

Just seen this on Facebook- looks good but very pricey for a set of word sheets? Also interested to hear if anyone has used it?

Usernamealreadyexists Tue 07-Feb-17 20:03:30

Ridiculously expensive but lovey product.

njshore Tue 07-Feb-17 20:42:37

Looks very professional, but very disingenuous, packaging.

They try to package the word boxes using famous school brands like "Westminster Under School Vocabulary", which is deceiving because it is suggesting that if your child studies this list, he/she would know what level this school requires. Trying to use hype to sell a product when there is not an actual school endorsement. What makes a word box "Westminster Under"?

njshore Tue 07-Feb-17 20:43:44

There are word lists for free on the internet sush that you shouldn't have to pay to learn new vocabulary.

ToohotforaSeptday Tue 07-Feb-17 21:16:00

To be honest I think it is very likely to be overpriced. njshore I didn't notice they packaged the material as WUS vocabulary, maybe they are collaborating in some way. Can't imagine they market their product without some sort of endorsement from the school.

Would love to hear from someone who have used it, does the material actually makes learning those words easier and more enjoyable?

Thethingswedoforlove Tue 07-Feb-17 21:22:27

We are using it. It has the flexibility to stop it after any month's use so we felt we would go for it. We are finding it is successful so far (just started month 2). We tried just dry vocab lists but dd wouldn't engage with it. She is 9. (Nearly 10). We do the mats each day and she has had 2 loo rolls which are brilliant and the cards- we pick 10 and go through them in the am and pm for a few days until she knows them and then move on. The pictures are engaging her and she is happy to do her words each day. The paper donut currency notes are a reward she enjoys getting. V pricey. But fixed at 6 months if it increases her vocab ahead of 11+ for us it is well worth it. We are sticking with it for as long as she is engaged with it....

Bitlost Tue 07-Feb-17 22:23:05

My 7-year-old DD loves her Mrs Wordsmith set. We only started last week. I really hesitated as it is very expensive but I don't regret it. She's already using some of the words in her writing and speech. And it's a pleasure to see her so motivated. She's the one who goes and gets the material every evening and asks to use it.

Ashers40 Tue 07-Feb-17 22:37:28

What is the monthly cost? I've been looking at it with interest as my DDs (9) vocab definitely needs improving ahead of the 11 plus, but am a bit loathe to shell out on top of tutor costs

Usernamealreadyexists Tue 07-Feb-17 23:03:29

35 quid a month - they will tell you that you can't photocopy it for cheaper as they have tried.

Ashers40 Tue 07-Feb-17 23:10:21

Hmm, so they are meant to learn 300 new words, that's 70p a word for a 6 month subscription. I can't decide if that's good value or not smile

HumphryCushion Wed 08-Feb-17 08:09:40

I think it is expensive, but have got it because my son is not motivated by just ordinary words on a page. Something funny like this grabs his interest.

irvineoneohone Wed 08-Feb-17 09:57:04

Shocked at the price for just learning words! (It lookes nice though.)
Tantalised, captivated, engrossed, enchanted, enthralled, entranced, mesmerised, enticed, charmed, intrigued, fascinated...

Those are the words my ds learned from playing video games!

FJMi Wed 15-Feb-17 16:29:58

irvineoneohone computer games or ipad games? If its an ipad game would you please share which one/s?

sanam2010 Thu 16-Feb-17 23:16:17

my first thought when reading about it was "these poor London prep school children, are parents ever going to let them alone?". Now they even have to play vocabulary "games" over dinner, are they never allowed to relax?

in addition, it seems my Facebook is just blasted with their advertisements constantly, which definitely makes me sceptical! The best way to boost vocabulary is by reading good quality books and discussing them.

irvineoneohone Fri 17-Feb-17 06:27:51

FJMi, sorry, it's not an educational games, it's rpg games on ps! grin

mumteacher Sat 18-Feb-17 22:53:09

Sanam2010 didn't you ask me how to best prepare your daughter for 4+? Please saddle down from your grand height!! Parents are just doing the best they can, like you did when you reached out for help.

Mrs wordsmith seems to be a great program if used correctly and not in isolation. I've seen it and used it and is great for visual learners.

72percentcocoa Wed 22-Feb-17 07:21:06

Have bought it for my year 2 son and reception daughter to use. Yes it's very expensive but we're all enjoying it. The pictures are engaging and kids are already using some of the words in their everyday vocabulary.
Only have had it for a week so far but I would recommend it.

sirfredfredgeorge Wed 22-Feb-17 08:01:23

The pictures are engaging and kids are already using some of the words in their everyday vocabulary.

I thought the whole point was these were words that would not likely to ever be used in every day vocabulary - that's why they need to be "learnt", rather than picked up from the people they're talking to?

irvineoneohone Wed 22-Feb-17 08:39:23

Once they learned the new exciting words, it's only natural for them to want to use it, imo, sir.

multivac Wed 22-Feb-17 09:21:51

Good grief. Just read more books; that's how to build a brilliant vocabulary. And this will knock Mrs Wordsmith for six, for under three quid.

mrz Wed 22-Feb-17 09:46:19

300 new words in 6 months is poor from age 6-8 children's vocabulary will be growing by 6 or 7 words per day without any intervention and from age 8 by around 12 words per day ...Sharing books and talking about new words would increase this considerably

irvineoneohone Wed 22-Feb-17 11:02:05

This site is great for learning new vocabulary. It's free, and also can save people from starvation just by playing! (Site by UN World Food Programme)

freerice.com/#/english-vocabulary/1422

ToohotforaSeptday Wed 22-Feb-17 11:13:04

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions! My DS much prefers to read silently on his own without me and I think he enjoys reading more in that way. I am happy about that but I have fewer chances to check on his comprehension and vocabulary. I suppose in time he will learn the words organically anyway when he encounters them again and again. We don't have any time pressure for entrance tests etc so I think I won't subscribe to Mrs Wordsmith for now and will try the book multivac suggested first. May save me a fair bit of money!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now