Talk

Advanced search

Norman Court near Salisbury - any good?

(22 Posts)
tiredhousewife Sun 22-May-16 12:27:13

Hi
We are currently looking at private prep schools in the Hampshire/ Dorset area for DD. We have already looked at a few Stroud, Hampshire Collegiate, Godolphin and Farleigh.
Although these schools were very impressive I just didn't get that feeling I want when I know the school seems right for DD.
We have heard that Norman Court near Salisbury recently reopened but, being such a new school, have heard nothing about what it is like now. I know it had a good reputation as a nurturing but achieving school before it shut a few years back but I wonder if anyone has any insight into the new school?

Dancingqueen17 Sun 22-May-16 17:44:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

masteravocado Fri 10-Mar-17 13:43:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

actiongirl1978 Fri 10-Mar-17 13:47:34

Stroud is fabulous. Quite laid back, academic but huge pastoral focus. Warmth for each child from every member of staff. I haven come across a single unhappy parent there. I haven't heard anything positive about Norman court.

Ericaequites Sun 12-Mar-17 02:21:35

Have you considered Salisbuty Cathedral School?

tiredhousewife Wed 15-Mar-17 04:53:54

We eventually settled on Godolphin. We had looked at all the schools and DD seems very happy there.
We looked at Cathedral and Stroud, both are lovely, nurturing schools with good reputations but decided on a single-sex education for DD.
I have since met a few parents who have come over from Norman Court who echo MasterAvocado's experience. I think we dodged a bullet there as it was a strong contender. Things are obviously not as they seem on the surface.

Hantspants79 Thu 16-Mar-17 18:48:11

I take it master avocado is an ex parent! I've got a child joined norman court and it seems thereare quite a few other new kids. There's a new headmaster coming to the school after easter, which was a huge encouragement for us.
I wasn't aware of any big staff turnover, all the teachers seem the same so far!
I know it closed a while ago which is why there are lots of old pupils at other schools.
But we like the atmosphere and they seem to do plenty of interesting and fun things, our child is certainly very happy there!

masteravocado Tue 28-Mar-17 07:01:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ojoj1974 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:30:59

mumtoboyssalisbury Tue 27-Jun-17 07:41:30

Chafyn Grove is near by and has a new Headmaster who has made a lot of positive changes. Definitely worth a visit!

beboo Fri 30-Jun-17 07:31:22

I've not heard much about Norman Court since it shut a few years ago... I have heard a rumour that the current head may be on the way out already after only a couple of terms?? My three all went to Forres Sandle Manor-youngest still there, DD1 now scholar at Sherborne Girls and DS1 just started Sherborne. Youngest Sherborne bound as well. Fabulous school that keeps getting better -we've been there for several years now. Just had an email home with their inspection report-excellent everywhere!

mumtoboyssalisbury Fri 30-Jun-17 07:53:49

Yes, bebo, the Head at Norman Court is leaving after one term...

aardvark5 Tue 11-Jul-17 08:54:27

aardvark5 Tue 18-Jul-17 21:53:47

Update: sadly, there wasn't enough time to get everything sorted out and the Head has left. So have a lot of parents (including us). I hope it can sort itself out, it has huge potential.

justamum24 Sun 27-Aug-17 15:10:00

Aardvark5 any news on a replacement head teacher? Info obviously lacking from school website and FB pages, we were considering the school in the future but no so sure now . . . Where have children moved on to?

mumtoboyssalisbury Sun 27-Aug-17 16:19:19

I know of children moving onto Chafyn Grove, Stroud and local state schools.

veryveryhappymummy Tue 19-Sep-17 11:49:40

Anyone even remotely considering this "school" need to read the ISI report first.
www.isi.net/school/norman-court-school-and-montessori-day-nursery-9225
You will be told it's under new management. The previous heads will be blamed. The previous teachers will be blamed. As the report points out it's the PROPRIETOR(s). Each and every time!!!!!
You'll be assured that everything has changed.
Of course it has!!!!! We've heard it all before!
This report is disgraceful!

veryveryhappymummy Tue 19-Sep-17 11:57:40

Oh yes, word is Norman Court is set to "reopen" September 2018 as a semi private school (what the hell is that anyway?).
Clearly "the proprietors" have no shame and are carrying on regardless. Nothing will change (despite promises that it has), it didn't in the time we were there and we were made MANY reassurances that it would. The name might change but it'll all be the same.
We were never aware of the DIRE H&S shortcomings though.
Who the hell allows adults to work in a school without the proper checks?
Norman Court School!
SHAMEFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MuddyMum1404 Fri 06-Oct-17 16:23:56

My little one is at the nursery at Norman Court and in my opinion the venue, staff, facilities, activities they take part in and over all experience is amazing. She has developed so much in such a short space of time since attending, she is challenged and her individual needs met. I have put the link to their recent OFSTED report below which in my opinion trumps any other reports at the nursery itself was observed for a longer period of time and inspected in greater depth.
The site has amazing potential and all the staff are really positive and want to make things work.
Before people listen to here say if they are serious about where they send their child they should view the venue, speak to the staff and see for themselves smile

reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/ELS/141249

MuddyMum1404 Fri 06-Oct-17 16:39:43

sorry copied the wrong link, here is the OFSTED link

reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/CARE/EY465377

Pleaseyourself Tue 10-Oct-17 21:05:43

Personally, after reading the ISI report I wouldn’t send my worst enemy to this place. The people in charge should be ashamed of themselves, how on earth can people have been allowed to work there without proper CRB checks ? That is not hear say, it is a fact. The health and safety failings are again not hear say but facts. No amount of nice grounds can make up for those failings.

pesa Fri 26-Jan-18 22:16:21

New headmasters wife by any chance? Lots of posts about how wonderful he is. 😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: