Talk

Advanced search

Norman Court near Salisbury - any good?

(9 Posts)
tiredhousewife Sun 22-May-16 12:27:13

Hi
We are currently looking at private prep schools in the Hampshire/ Dorset area for DD. We have already looked at a few Stroud, Hampshire Collegiate, Godolphin and Farleigh.
Although these schools were very impressive I just didn't get that feeling I want when I know the school seems right for DD.
We have heard that Norman Court near Salisbury recently reopened but, being such a new school, have heard nothing about what it is like now. I know it had a good reputation as a nurturing but achieving school before it shut a few years back but I wonder if anyone has any insight into the new school?

Dancingqueen17 Sun 22-May-16 17:44:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

masteravocado Fri 10-Mar-17 13:43:02

Run don't walk in the other direction.
This school is beset with problems, not least the Head of Trustees who insists on "overseeing" the school with NO experience and little time for opinions other than her own and who is oftten described as deceitful.
The teachers are great but they don't tend to stick around for long.
High pupil turnover.
You don't have to look far into any of the surrounding independent schools to finds clutches of children who have left.
Deny, deny, deny - is how problems are dealt with.
Parents are "lured" to the school with promises that never materialise.
I fear that as long as the Head of Trustees insists on sticking around the school will not succeed and pupils and teachers will continue to jump from a sinking ship.
If you are seriously considering sending your child there ask to speak to some of the old parents (a few still remain) who are NOT friends of the Head Trustee, ask for honest feedback and then decide.

actiongirl1978 Fri 10-Mar-17 13:47:34

Stroud is fabulous. Quite laid back, academic but huge pastoral focus. Warmth for each child from every member of staff. I haven come across a single unhappy parent there. I haven't heard anything positive about Norman court.

Ericaequites Sun 12-Mar-17 02:21:35

Have you considered Salisbuty Cathedral School?

tiredhousewife Wed 15-Mar-17 04:53:54

We eventually settled on Godolphin. We had looked at all the schools and DD seems very happy there.
We looked at Cathedral and Stroud, both are lovely, nurturing schools with good reputations but decided on a single-sex education for DD.
I have since met a few parents who have come over from Norman Court who echo MasterAvocado's experience. I think we dodged a bullet there as it was a strong contender. Things are obviously not as they seem on the surface.

Hantspants79 Thu 16-Mar-17 18:48:11

I take it master avocado is an ex parent! I've got a child joined norman court and it seems thereare quite a few other new kids. There's a new headmaster coming to the school after easter, which was a huge encouragement for us.
I wasn't aware of any big staff turnover, all the teachers seem the same so far!
I know it closed a while ago which is why there are lots of old pupils at other schools.
But we like the atmosphere and they seem to do plenty of interesting and fun things, our child is certainly very happy there!

masteravocado Tue 28-Mar-17 07:01:06

Yes HantsPants79, I am an ex parent. We were at the new Norman Court that reopened a few years ago, we left relatively recently.
I hope it has/ does change. It does have great potential.
The high teacher turnover was as a result of the Head Trustee who is a cowardly bully, she has her office minions do her dirty work.
If she goes all will be solved! I hope the new head has the balls to kick her out or deal with her, the previous head let her do and treat people as she wished.
There was an extremely high teacher turnover until we left and, I believe (I still speak to some of the old parents who remain), the high pupil turnover has continued.
Your experience may be different and I hope it is but for us and the many others who have left the word "nightmare" is not an overstatement.

Ojoj1974 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:30:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now