Advanced search

School governor complaint

(16 Posts)
1namechange9 Fri 05-Feb-16 17:23:45

I've name changed. I have googled and can't find an answer. Had a falling out with with the school govenours friend, since this he has blanked me and ignored me constantly. I needed advice on something so I approached him and he tutted and walked away!

How do I complain about him?

ArkATerre Fri 05-Feb-16 17:27:22

Write to the Chair Of Governors but tbh you can only really address the issue you were inquiring about. It could be it wasn't in his remit to answer your enquiry. He should have been polite, but not a lot you could do if he wasn't.
You will look a bit silly accusing someone of ignoring you because you have fallen out with their friend.

Clobbered Fri 05-Feb-16 17:27:30

You could spell to the Clerk to the Governors (every school has one - details should be on the school website).

So it was this governor's friend that you fell out with? Why did you choose to approach him? Why not ask a different governor? Sounds a bit goady to me.

wonderpants Fri 05-Feb-16 17:27:49

I think you would put any issue about the school in writing to the board of governors when you have come to the end of the complaints procedure in school.

Governors are not there to provide advice on an individual basis! So you might be unreasonable in your expectation of the role!

Clobbered Fri 05-Feb-16 17:27:55

Speak not spell

Sparkletastic Fri 05-Feb-16 17:28:55

There's more than one governor. Talk to one of the others. Complaining sounds OTT.

Jesabel Fri 05-Feb-16 18:28:54

I'm struggling to think of why you would need advice on something from an individual governor - advising parents isn't really their role.

Pooka Fri 05-Feb-16 18:31:56

When I was a governor I would not have discussed issues with individual parents in the playground. Would have referred them to the chair, or if the chair was a parent, to the clerk for the attention of the governing body as a whole.

lougle Fri 05-Feb-16 18:37:52

I think we need more information. Governors strategically manage the school. They shouldn't be involved in the operation (day to day running) of the school. Whether they get involved in a matter regarding a specific cold would depend on whether the issue raises matters that need attention on an organisational level. The complaints policy will detail the procedure for complaining, but would normally be teacher--> head teacher--> governors.

Governors shouldn't advise individual parents about school matters. They should politely direct the parent to follow the complaints procedure and, if necessary, locate that policy for them or direct them to the admin team.

Clutterbugsmum Fri 05-Feb-16 19:50:28

You can not speak to a school governor about issues you have to follow the correct procedures.

First teacher, then head teacher and then the chair of governor in writing.

admission Fri 05-Feb-16 20:50:59

There is a very clear structure for anything to do with complaints or concerns, for which there is a written policy.
The usual structure is referral to the teacher, then head teacher and then and only then if the head teacher has failed to address the issue would be appropriate to go to the chair of governors. The one exception to this would be if it was something specific about the head teacher at which point you should go direct to the chair of governors.
When it comes to an issue with a governor as in this case, then you ought to put the complaint in writing to the Chair of Governors. The governor is probably correct in their action in not getting involved with you but on the other hand has been remarkably silly in not telling you the correct process. He has just caused more unnecessary upset and annoyance

ChopOrNot Fri 05-Feb-16 21:05:11

I am a school governor. I would happily talk to any parent about the procedures if they have a complaint. I would happily help a parent access information about the school if it was stuff generally in the public domain (eg if something was available on the website). I may expand a bit more on info on the areas I cover (English and SEN Link Governor). I could not discuss anything I new in confidence about the running of the school. I would not discuss a specific situation or child.

I would never walk away from a parent though. unless you had been bugging me about the same issue for weeks and repeatedly ignore the information I had given too you Odd behaviour.

ChopOrNot Fri 05-Feb-16 21:22:06


PatriciaHolm Fri 05-Feb-16 21:46:30

Complain about what, exactly?

A personal falling out is irrelevant to the work of a governor. If you wish to raise an issue with governors, do it through the proper channels (headteacher first). Governors have no role in giving parents advice.

Penfold007 Fri 05-Feb-16 21:47:39

I'm confused, what do you actually want to complain about. You fell out with a friend who happens to be a school governor and now he is giving you a wide berth. Seems sensible to me.

TwoLeftSocks Fri 05-Feb-16 22:17:38

I'm curious too, and about the advice you were hoping for.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: