Talk

Advanced search

ASL Wait pool, SB Intl Full, other Central London options?

(22 Posts)
desimomo Thu 23-Jul-15 18:40:59

Hi everyone.. we are moving to London in a couple of weeks from the US. We were quite hopeful about ASL, but just found out being on the waitlist. A few questions.. how hopeful should we be about making it to ASL eventually? Any experiences? SouthBank Intl is full, ICS is a no. we'd like to stay in Central London for work. Can you please recommend other international or reputable private school options? At wits end....

BuildYourOwnSnowman Sun 26-Jul-15 21:56:56

How old are your kids?

desimomo Mon 27-Jul-15 00:27:06

They are 6 & 7 years old - a boy and girl!

BuildYourOwnSnowman Mon 27-Jul-15 09:23:22

If you are planning to live near asl I oboe Abercorn is often used as the 'waiting' school

Otherwise there are the co-ed Devonshire house and northbridge house

I have no idea how long a wait can be for asl and I guess it also depends how long you think you will be here

Michaelahpurple Wed 29-Jul-15 09:12:24

Hill house is a common choice for coming internationals. Years2 and 3 are at least not as bad to find places as reception and year 7, say. Could you commute from esher or thereabouts for a while and so use the U.S. School at cobham until a place comes up ?

sanam2010 Fri 31-Jul-15 16:50:12

try Eaton Square School in Belgravia as well, it's a nice school

desimomo Sun 02-Aug-15 20:40:43

Thank you all. Abercorn and Eaton Square are coming up as second choices. About the american school in Cobham, is there is an area midway, where we could still live in Central London, and bus the kids to school? Upto a 20min ride for the kids should be ok for us.

desimomo Sun 02-Aug-15 21:01:45

Will we need a car if we live in Esher? Another consideration..

BYOSnowman Sun 02-Aug-15 22:00:08

i wouldn't consider esher/asl cobham if you want the central london experience

how long do you expect to be here?

CruCru Sun 02-Aug-15 22:20:23

Where in central London do you plan on living? Dallington / The Lyceum are both near Liverpool Street Station (the City) and are well thought of.

CruCru Sun 02-Aug-15 22:20:52

However it is a long way from ASL.

desimomo Mon 03-Aug-15 15:15:52

We will be there for 2-3 years

Earlybird Mon 03-Aug-15 15:18:03

Look at Eaton Square School in Belgravia, as another poster suggested. It is a decent school, and in the past, has not been too difficult to get into. They usually have spaces available. it will give you the central London experience you want.

CruCru Mon 03-Aug-15 15:32:55

A website that you may find helpful is the London Preprep one. Seems to concentrate more on west London (which isn't all that useful for me).

AnotherNewt Mon 03-Aug-15 15:36:13

Which bits of central London are you considering living in?

It's not much use suggesting schools in SW postcodes if you're set on being in a N one.

desimomo Mon 03-Aug-15 19:01:15

Thank you for all the great input. First...kids education and activities trump all. That said, we would love to be in Central London, where the tube runs, so getting to work/anywhere is faster. We'd like to avoid having a car if possible. My worries about Abercorn, Eaton Square etc are all related to - will they be adjust back to US curriculum later, the schools seem too small, do they have enough art/sports activities etc. ACS Cobham has spots, so that is something we are considering (don't like the prospect of being so far away though)

Earlybird Mon 03-Aug-15 19:08:14

Quite frankly, your American schooled dc will probably be behind their same-age British peers academically.

There is less emphasis on sport in central London, but the children are active. Many Belgravia / Chelsea schools don't have huge sports facilities due to lack of physical space, but will move children by coach (bus) to Battersea Park or other playing fields in the area. The children will also probably be taken swimming at local pools.

Art classes will easily be the equal of what you'll have in America.

BYOSnowman Mon 03-Aug-15 19:09:49

all the people i have known with primary age kids who have stayed 2-4 years have really appreciated exposing their kids to a different educational experience and a wider circle than american expats. Once back they have found the kids a little ahead in maths etc.

At primary I would be more concerned about giving them a great expat experience and exposing them to things you will find harder to do once you move home.

Once they get into the exam cycle it is a different matter.

BYOSnowman Mon 03-Aug-15 19:12:00

sports wise - if you are near regents park you will have plenty of clubs they can join

ds is at a small prep and spends 2.5 afternoons a week doing sport which i think is more than enough on top of his weekend activities

CruCru Mon 03-Aug-15 20:10:47

OP, I wonder whether it is worth getting a copy of the Good Schools Guide North London. It's £18 but probably worth it. It divides up the areas into regions of North London which may be helpful.

mummytime Mon 03-Aug-15 20:52:12

ACS - if you lived somewhere like Woking or Surburton you might find getting into London faster, than some central areas (but it depends where you need to get to).
Do you come from New York? Where do you live at home?

But then again at those ages I'd probably just make do with a local state school to give them a real cultural experience (and at that age they are far less scary in my experience than when older).

CruCru Thu 06-Aug-15 17:26:24

It's in North London but you might like the Dwight School London - international school with branches in London, New York, Vancouver, Shanghai and Seoul.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now