Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Halifax West Yorkshire - Nice areas and schools please! (Calderdale)

(18 Posts)
notsurewheretolive Sat 20-Jun-15 08:23:13

Hi

I've got a new job in Halifax in West Yorkshire smile I want to move our family to the area before the year runs out. My DD is 2 years and will be going to school before I know it. Has anyone got any idea about the schools in the local area? I am aware there are some surrounding villages but would like to keep it to Halifax. I have checked the performance tables too. Does anyone have any local knowledge of the schools in the area?

Thanks in advance smile

notsurewheretolive Mon 22-Jun-15 06:54:12

Anyone? ��

ShootTheMoon Mon 22-Jun-15 07:15:20

Lightcliffe? A bit leafy with some nice houses and what used to be a good primary (I'm not current). Anyone I knew who lived in a nice area was out toward Hebden Bridge or Ripponden.

Hoppinggreen Mon 22-Jun-15 10:13:48

Saville park is nice but be careful as it joins onto Kings Cross, which isn't so nice. Ripponden is nice but very middle class, white and a bit keeping up with the Joneses.
Sowerby bridge isn't bad, used to be a bit rough but it's got posher in the last few years and houses still cheap - nice restaurants.
Hebden Bridge is lovely but a bit out of Halifax. Elland and Greetland are ok too.
I lived there for 30 years and now live not too far away, can't comment so much on schools but I know most areas pretty well so feel free to ask any questions.

notsurewheretolive Mon 22-Jun-15 19:19:41

Thanks so much for your responses.
I'm on rightmove most days and looking into local schools. Really excited ...we haven't a massive budget Copley seems like a nice area but I would like to live somewhere diverse as we're a multi racial family and don't want to be anywhere we wouldn't be accepted. smile

BikeRunSki Mon 22-Jun-15 19:24:28

Be careful of flood zones around Todmorden, Hebden Bridge and Sowerby Bridge. Flooding is very quick in the Upper Calder Valley.

ShootTheMoon Mon 22-Jun-15 19:26:23

It's always exciting isn't it smile.

I may be massively naive but I'd be surprised if there were issues with being multi-racial, as it's definitely a mix (mostly of white British or Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani origin from memory). But I might be wrong, there's still a lot of poverty which sometimes leads to tensions. Anyway I very much hope you don't encounter any nastiness smile.

Good luck!

Hoppinggreen Tue 23-Jun-15 09:41:04

I don't much like Copley to be honest, although the upper part of it joins on to Manor Heath which is lovely. The main road through Copley can be a bit of a nightmare too.
Most areas of Halifax are pretty diverse really except for the more rural villages so I very much doubt a multi racial family wouldn't be accepted.
Where will you be working? If it's the Town Centre Elland is pretty handy and house prices low. You could also consider the Birchencliffe/Ainley top are of Huddersfield (10 mins from Halifax Town Centre) or even Brighouse, which is a small town nearby and again pretty close.

lupus0 Wed 24-Jun-15 12:34:57

Welcome to Calderdale! You'll love it here (I do). The outlying villages surrounding Halifax are beautiful. Midgley or Luddenden for instance - very easy to get to Halifax, and both have really good schools. Granted the villages aren't massively mixed racially compared with Halifax itself, but there are mixed race families - at Midgley school for example there are a few mixed race children in a small primary (they call them 'hill schools' round here) who don't seem to have any problems - maybe not as multicultural as you'd like but worth a look maybe? A bit early for you, but be aware if you're not already that this is a non-catchment grammar area (2 grammar schools in Halifax) which some love the existence of, and others detest, for obvious reasons!

notsurewheretolive Sun 28-Jun-15 16:53:19

Thanks all for the replies. I'll be working in the Holmfield area. Had a look round the town last week and loved it. Very different to what I'm used to ...will look up those schools you mentioned lupus. Cheers x

BikeRunSki Sun 28-Jun-15 17:08:32

I'm in rural Kirklees (Huddersfield and surroundings) with a child at First School. Some of our local primary and first schools are at capacity for the first time in years, it may be worth checking out where school spaces are before falling in love with an area.

BikeRunSki Sun 28-Jun-15 17:10:20

Ignore me, I've just realised that your dd is only 2.

notsurewheretolive Sun 28-Jun-15 20:03:57

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'll be working in Holmfield area and will look out for the schools mentioned in your responses xxgrin

Hoppinggreen Mon 29-Jun-15 10:34:44

Hello Bike fellow Kirkleesian ( just made up that word)
Where are you moving from OP?

Hoppinggreen Mon 29-Jun-15 10:38:21

Also, you say you will be working in Holmefield, this is pretty near Illingworth and Mixenden which are not very nice areas so I wouldn't go for them to live in.

BikeRunSki Mon 29-Jun-15 11:00:17

Hello Hopping <waves across M62>

Eternalsunshines Sun 02-Aug-15 08:41:40

Copley is a bit smelly blush
We recently moved near Luddenden & love it, and the two local schools are ace.

aliciagardner Sun 02-Aug-15 08:46:54

Have a shufty on rightmove for Warley, Sowerby Bridge, Luddenden Foot, Greetland.

What are you looking for? Close to town centre/ villagey feel/ v rural? What sort of house - new build/ Victorian/ something in the middle?

Copley okay but wouldnt be my first choice. Ripponden nice but can be expensive as good commute to m62.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now