Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for personal experiences or dilemmas; to debate the ethics of termination, please go here or here.

Same day medical abortion questions

(14 Posts)
L1021 Sun 05-Feb-17 22:30:26

Hello I'm booked in for same day treatment at a bpas clinic this Thursday. I have already spoken to a lovely lady on the telephone who asked me a few questions about height/weight/date of last period etc.. I was wondering if anyone could please tell me how long I would be at the clinic. My appointment is at 9.45, I asked the lady on the phone and she advised me she couldn't give me a time scale. I have searched the Internet but I can't seem to find anyone that's had a same day treatment, all I have read is people have to go back for a second appointment which was explained to me that I wouldn't, it would all be done on the day. If anyone has had a medial abortion as a same day treatment please could you advise me of the process? I am getting anxious about how long I will be there as I have two children that need collecting from school and i haven't told anyone abouy the pregnancy. Thank you

user1484539497 Sun 05-Feb-17 22:32:15

You will be at the clinic a few hours but there is no way you'll be able to collect your children while the pill takes effect. Is there anyone IRL you can confide in?

L1021 Sun 05-Feb-17 22:36:06

Thank you for replying so quickly! There isn't, I have no choice, I will collect them, just a quick walk up to the school gates from the car.
I'm dreading being there hours on end

Lilly948204 Sun 05-Feb-17 22:39:07

Hiya, I haven't had a medical abortion but I have had medical management for a missed miscarriage and I imagine it's a similar process. For me the pills results in incredibly painful contractions for around 45 minutes but these didn't start until a few hours after I took them. The whole process was exhausting. I would arrange alternative care for your children xx

user1484539497 Sun 05-Feb-17 22:40:35

When I had a medical abortion I had to tell my friend as you weren't allowed to leave alone once you'd taken the pills. Not sure about driving either. Have you considered the surgical as I think that's more likely to be done during school hours.

I wasn't waiting hours but it probably depends on area. If it's BPAS you are seen by 3 different people so it can take a while x

L1021 Sun 05-Feb-17 22:43:15

Ahh well I had explained to the lady o the phone I would be going along and driving and she said that wouldn't be a problem if it was necessary...I just want to go, get it over with and get home.. which I know sounds harsh but unfortunately it's the way feel.

Only1scoop Sun 05-Feb-17 22:47:29

Went with friend really early morning and she was there all day. I had to drive her home. I stayed with her overnight.
If at all possible I would get some childcare sorted.

Lilly948204 Sun 05-Feb-17 22:49:33

I hope it goes okay for you and I'm sorry you're going through this alone. The pills didn't start working for a few hours for me, they sent me home to miscarry the baby but I know in some places you have to stay at the hospital/clinic. It's probably better to stay in if you can as they can probably give you stronger painkillers.

If you're given the pills straight away the procedure may be 'finished' by 3pm but I had to take two lots of pills and I know it took a couple of hours for them to work each time.

Xx

namechanger184 Sun 05-Feb-17 23:06:43

I had this done about six years ago so things might have changed. I was there for 8am & didn't leave until about 4pm. I seem to recall there had to be a six hour gap between the two stages so I had expected to be out by 2pm but hadn't appreciated how long the processing would take place before they could give me the first pill.
The clinic I went to was about 2hrs from where I live & it was sleeting whilst I was there so I spent the time between just sat in the waiting room. I think I could access tea & coffee and had taken snacks with me as well as my Kindle, music etc. I just sat in the corner & kept myself to myself as I didn't want to get into conversation with anyone. Everyone else did have someone with them & many were in tears or otherwise upset.
After the second pill, I think I had to stay there again for a while & was then allowed to leave. I left by myself as the snow was now so bad DH was unable to come & collect me. At about 9pm, I began to feel very uncomfortable (felt like avcombination of bad PMT and early stages of labour) & that lasted a couple of hours but then I was fine although bled for a couple of weeks.

ImNotReallyReal Sun 05-Feb-17 23:13:59

I don't want to be a doom monger but I had a medical abortion with BPAS. I went one day for and stayed for about six hours. They were great and assured me I'd be fine to go about my normal routine the after 48 hours. They advised that I should stay at home with someone else after I left the clinic for the following 24 hours. DH was with me.

I was ok for about two hours at home, then it really kicked off. I was only 7+2 but I bled so badly I had to go to hospital for a blood transfusion and a D&C.

You need to make sure you have arrangements in place for your children just in case. Please make sure you have back up. I've had friends who have had medical abortions without compilations and there is no way they'd have been doing the nursery/school run the same day.

When I went for my check afterwards they were pretty blasé about what had happened to me. I was in hospital for four days and off work for two weeks. If I had to do it again I'd go for a surgical.

I'm sorry you are going through this, please plan for the worst and hope for the best flowers

user1484539497 Sun 05-Feb-17 23:27:07

Yes there's no way of knowing when the pills will take effect. For me nothing happened for a week and when it did it was awful. I do wish I'd opted for the surgical.flowers

Matilda1981 Mon 06-Feb-17 18:48:06

Hi, I'm booked in for this in a week and the lady on the phone (bpas) told me I'd be on for about 5 hours but I don't know if that's average or for everyone!
Might be worth giving the actual clinic a call? Hope it goes well, let me know how it goes.

L1021 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:45:32

Thank you for letting me know matilda, I did try again this morning and the man on the phone was pretty useless shock
Thank you for letting me know what they said to you zx

Mssmfox Fri 14-Jul-17 21:42:04

I had a medical abortion last Friday through BPAS and thought the whole thing was handled very professionally and sensitivity.
I took both pills (orally and vaginally) at the same time and was home from the clinic within the hour with specific instructions and directions about how it was going to play out. About four hours after the pills the cramps started. The whole process was over within the day and was definitely not as bad as anticipated. I hope this post helps people as I found little to reassure me when I was searching for answers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now