Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whats the maximum size in weight to give birth normally????

(10 Posts)
Tiaxx31 Sat 12-Sep-09 17:55:10

Does anyone know what the maximum size in weight that you will be allowed to give birth naturally and what is the best pain relief to have, remembering i am petrafied of needles and don't fancy a epidural as been told it really really hurts having that put into your spine

notevenamousie Sat 12-Sep-09 17:56:48

Depends on the size of your pelvis - there is no maximum size. As for pain relief, you don't need to decide now, be as informed as you can then you can make the best choice you can at the time.

bluemondays Sat 12-Sep-09 17:57:30

Well my babies were 8 and 9 lbs respectively and the 9lber was a way easier birth. Only pain relief I ever had was gas and air.
I know someone who had two 12lb babies naturally. (On seperate occasions, I hasten to add.)
How pregnant are you now?

TeamEdward Sat 12-Sep-09 17:59:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tiaxx31 Sat 12-Sep-09 18:00:39

I'm only 28 weeks so got a several weeks yet, just got lots of things rolling round in my head and need to ask questions to get it to satisfy other wise this is silly things i keep worrying about, i am absolutly crapping giving birth as the last time was 14 years ago so everything is like starting all over again from scratch, so scared of all that pain again x

purepurple Sat 12-Sep-09 18:04:14

The size of the baby is relative to your size.

Tiaxx31 Sat 12-Sep-09 18:08:38

My first son was 7lb 14oz as he was 1 week & 1 day early to the expected due date given, i am quite a big boned/framed person, i had lost alot of weight but got pg this time and look like a hippo, look like im ready to drop now, As ppl say oh i bet you are due any day, yeah1 i say no i still have 3 months yet and they mouth hits the floor, i was massive for my son 14 yr ago too thats why i had it in my head it was another boy as for carrying the large weight again like the 1st child. I was right tho another boy on the way, can't wait but can deffo wait for the birth time, not looking forward to that painful bit, so worried

ShowOfHands Sat 12-Sep-09 18:08:52

You have no idea what your baby will weigh though so even if there was a maximum cut off, you couldn't implement it.

I don't think weight is necessarily the problem, it's head circumference.

I had a spinal block for an em cs and didn't feel the needle at all fwiw. And at that point I wouldn't have cared if they'd hit me on the head with a cartoon hammer.

And the alternative to a natural birth is an instrumental or cs which usually involve needles.

Have you tried any hypnobirthing?

Tiaxx31 Sat 12-Sep-09 18:12:38

no not tried any of that, yeah i had foreseps and had to have stirtches after for my 1st child 14 yr ago. Don
t want to tear again as it is so painful trying to sit after and feed baby and going for a wee stinging like crazy
i know, i konw i sound like a baby but all i can think about is that pain of giving birth, can't get it out of my head. DFon't know why i am feeling so bad about all this. Need to stop thinking about it but i can't and its driving me crazy worrying about it

ShowOfHands Sat 12-Sep-09 18:38:48

No you don't need to stop thinking about it, you need to accept how you feel and try to tackle it. Do you have a sympathetic midwife? Have you looked at the notes from your last birth and dealt with it? It's birth trauma and it's normal.

I had an episiotomy, cut from front to back, lots of stitches, so they could try a ventouse and manual rotation. It didn't work. I had an em cs anyway. I remember the pain vividly and everybody who says you forget is a damn liar. It has stopped me having any mroe children as I can't face the fear of childbirth.

You have done a big thing in overcoming this in getting pregnant and it's important that you get help with this. Please don't feel guilty for being honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now