Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I or can I not eat smoked salmon???

(10 Posts)
BarbieLovesKen Mon 24-Aug-09 16:59:48

have heard so much conflicting advice....

Wonderstuff Mon 24-Aug-09 17:04:20

This was on Food Standards Agency site

Can I eat cold meats and smoked salmon when I'm pregnant?

Some countries advise pregnant women not to eat cold meats or smoked fish because of the risk of listeria. In the UK, we don't advise women to avoid these products because the risk is very low. The risk of listeria is much higher with cheeses such as Camembert, Brie or chevre (a type of goats' cheese), and others that have a similar rind, or pâté, which you shouldn't eat during pregnancy. However, if you are concerned, you might also choose to avoid cold meats and smoked fish while you are pregnant.

Lastyearsmodel Mon 24-Aug-09 17:05:53

I was confused when pg too but really craved it. In the end, if I was confident about its safety (ie it was in my fridge and within its use-by date) I went ahead, but I didn't eat it in cafes or restaurants. I would have it in dishes like scrambled eggs or with pasta where it would be cooked through too. Applied same rules to prawns.

BarbieLovesKen Mon 24-Aug-09 17:13:17

Thanks a million for the replies!. Really helped.

Going by food standards agency now feel abit better. Lastyearsmodel - I too am craving it like crazy... think ill go ahead for my tea tonight smile

Thanks again.

Wonderstuff Mon 24-Aug-09 17:16:20

Enjoy smile

Kyte Mon 24-Aug-09 17:51:28

I ate it all through my first pg and am eating it though my 2nd pg. I found prawns most likely to cause problems, not salmon.

bubblesincambridge Tue 25-Aug-09 13:55:11

Not according to Pret's website (which I only saw after eating the sandwich)!

midnightsun Wed 26-Aug-09 11:15:56

smoked or other kinds of raw-treated meats and fish including sushi for example are totally okay if the meat has been frozen. You'd be surprised at how many of these products have. Deep freezing kills listeria and other yucky bacteria that would normally be elimated by heat cooking. I live in Scandinavia and that is the advice over here.

midnightsun Wed 26-Aug-09 11:18:03

Avoid eating too much tuna though, that's because of the mercury content, not bacteria. The bigger the fish, the older it is and the longer period it has been exposed to consuming toxins. We're not supposed to eat more than one or two fresh tuna steaks a week or 4 cans of tuna.

BarbieLovesKen Wed 26-Aug-09 13:28:13

oh thanks midnightsun - didnt know that about freezing - particulary with sushi - thought that was definate no no and I absolutely adore the stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now