Talk

Advanced search

chicken pox contact in late pregnancy

(20 Posts)
GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 15-Oct-08 11:27:53

my SIL gets married this weekend and I was all set to go (baby dependant), but her daughter has come down with chicken pox and the pharmacist reckons it's dangerous for me to go in case I contract the virus and then baby is born imminently (I'm 39 weeks), trying to find out more info - any ideas? I had chicken pox when I was 7 so assumed I was immune - and if I can't go due to this, does that mean hubby won't be able to go either (he also had it as a child)??

HairyToedHobbit Wed 15-Oct-08 11:35:27

I would phone your GP and ask if they can check your immunity. I was 7 months pregnant when DH got chickenpox (despite MIL insisting he had it as a child). I've never had it as the blood test confirmed. They weren't as worried about me because I was at the safest time if I did get it but I was still given the jab to boost my immunity.

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 15-Oct-08 11:35:31

If you've had cp yourself then you'll almost certainly be immune, so unless you actually have the baby at the wedding then there shouldn't be a problem.

She shouldn't take her daughter if she is infectious though, however hard that may be for her.

gagarin Wed 15-Oct-08 11:52:24

your SIL's dd will not be infectious once the all the spots have a scab on them - about 5 days after the first spot comes out.

Have a read of this from the Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists....it might answer some of your questions.

www.rcog.org.uk/resources/public/pdf/PI_Chickenpox_in_Pregnancy.pdf

nuclear Wed 15-Oct-08 12:14:19

From what I can remember my MW told me that as long as you have immunity you should be ok (I wouldn't sit her on your knee though just to be safe)... as while bubs is still comfy inside you your antibodies will be passed over.

However if you are unsure about your immunity then I wouldn't risk it as it can cause complciaions at delivery if you have the virus whilst you are giving birth.

Ps ..very brave going to a wedding at 39 weeks I am 39 weeks tomorrow and feel like a beached whale ... I have limited public outings to a minimum in case I scare small children grin

Aitch Wed 15-Oct-08 12:15:58

i wouldn't risk it myself, i know someone who got cp late on, baby was born with it, heaps of separation and complications, it was awful...

lizziemun Wed 15-Oct-08 12:33:14

I am only 19wks pg but dd1 has just had CP (she at the scabby stage) and was told as i had had it the i should be ok. Also once the spots are out and no longer wet then the child is no contagious.

Aitch Wed 15-Oct-08 12:35:07

it's the lateness that's the problem. cp virus can live on clothes etc... it's a much misunderstood thing.

ohdearwhatamess Wed 15-Oct-08 12:52:09

I wouldn't risk it unless the child is definitely at the 'past being infectious' stage.

Ds1 was born with cp (I must have been in contact with someone with it without knowing) and was very, very ill when born (5 days in scbu isolation, resuscitated twice). Wouldn't want anyone to go through that. I'd had it as a child too, so would have assumed I was immune.

Although would make more sense for the daughter to stay away, imo.

MadameCastafiore Wed 15-Oct-08 12:55:03

You need to stay away - one of my best friends friends has a little girl who has all kinds of problems due to contracting chicken pox inutero - her mother had had it and showed no symptoms when she came into contact with a child with the pox but her daughter was somehow effected.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 15-Oct-08 13:29:07

Thanks everyone, I'd decided if there was the slightest risk I wouldn't go and from what you're all saying it sounds like there would be - unless she definately isn't contagious by the weekend. I wouldn't give her any cuddles or go near her but then other people will do and if it can live in clothes that means I would have to not touch anyone else there either...

but doesn't this also mean my husband shouldn't go in case he catches it? would be horrible for him not to, he's so close to his sister but then if it means him not holding his baby for the first few days of its life

I don't think there would be an option for SIL's dd not to be at the wedding, I certainly woulnd't want her not to go just so I could...ugh gutted though

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 15-Oct-08 13:55:09

It's not just for your benefit that her dd shouldn't go though - it's for everyone's, unless she knows for sure that everyone, including staff, has immunity. CP can be quite serious in older men. Dh had it in January, but was lucky to escape without hospitalisation or complications by all accounts.

gagarin Wed 15-Oct-08 17:16:05

You could be standing next to someone in a shop or the library or in the playground who is in the infectious stage of chicken pox RIGHT NOW ie just BEFORE the spots appear or when there are only one or two. You can't avoid it as you can't see it. You may not go to the wedding but decide to go shopping or for a meal out instead and pick it up there.

Children should be off school (and therefore also away from most/all other people) for 5 days.

If the wedding is within these five days then consider not going. To stop your husband going would (IMO) be a little over the top - UNLESS he has not had chicken pox.

Aitch Wed 15-Oct-08 17:20:47

i wondered about the dd too, csws. it can be very serious for people on chemo etc.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 15-Oct-08 17:27:10

I don't want to stress her out anymore - in fact I'm pretty sure that her dd will no longer be classed as contagious by Saturday (think spost first appeared this weekend).

I think I'll stay away just to be safe, really don't want to prevent DH from going but also want to make extra sure that there won't be a chance of him passing on the virus to me. It seems that just because you've had it as a child, doesn't mean you can't catch it or shingles as an adult....

thanks so much for all your advice

ajm200 Wed 15-Oct-08 18:31:47

DS had chicken pox almost two weeks ago and I was 37 weeks pregnant. Our Dr wasn't worried as long had definately had it before as I would provide immunity to the baby. The concern was more that baby would arrive while he was still contagious.

I was still very worried though and would rather not have been in that situation so if I could have avoided it completely I would have.

DraculaNeedsArteries Wed 15-Oct-08 18:44:42

The current guidline is that quarantine is only recommended for the first 5 days from appearance of first spot.

So assuming wedding is Saturday and her first spot appeared Monday or earlier you should be fine.

If not - as you have had chicken pox you should be fine as you will be immune.

Agree with others though if she is still in the first 5 days she should not be at the wedding she should be in quarantine. There are many groups of people that should avoid contact with chicken pox.

Aitch Wed 15-Oct-08 20:02:24

but you can't know if someone else in the family will be incubating it by then.

DraculaNeedsArteries Wed 15-Oct-08 20:22:07

true.

But then you don't know if random stranger in Tesco's incubating it either

<but then I do agree that a child in the family that is known to have had chicken pox makes it marginally more likely that there is incubating it that a random person in Tesco's>

Aitch Wed 15-Oct-08 20:25:23

not a chance i'd take tbh. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now