Talk

Advanced search

Chelsea & Westminster Hospital Maternity Experience

(13 Posts)
Roxyoc Tue 26-May-20 14:02:02

Hello - Does anyone have recent experience of using Chelsea and Westminster hospital for having their baby? I could not find any recent threads on the topics . I’m currently 16 weeks pregnant and considering changing from Kingston hospital after a very negative experience at their A&E department. I live in Kew so both hospitals are a about 15 mins drive so not much in it distance wish. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

OP’s posts: |
Hollielouise Tue 26-May-20 14:35:17

I'm 31 weeks and have been at C&W since the start. They've been good so far, though obviously can't comment on the birth yet! I haven't ever seen the same midwife with every appointment though - it's always someone different so if that means a lot to you that may be something to consider. Access to consultants, extra scans and referrals have been good as and when needed - I've had a hip replacement so needed to chat about birth options with a consultant and that's all been arranged over the phone without any issue. Quite easy to get hold of the midwives on the phone, or the appointment line to change dates and times if you need to.
They do live weekly Facebook q&a with the consultant midwife, which has been really helpful and update on covid restrictions frequently.
Have heard mixed reviews of the postnatal wars but there is always the private option of the Kensington wing which you can pay (£1250) for for your own room after birth if available! Not sure NHS private rooms will be on offer due to covid - they aren't at the moment but may change for your due date. Hope that helps! 😊

Hollielouise Tue 26-May-20 14:36:19

*ward. Not wars. Obviously! 😅

Roxyoc Tue 26-May-20 16:18:24

Thank you very much HollieLouise and best of luck with the birth.

60sPony Tue 26-May-20 19:45:21

I had my first at C&W at the end of 2017 and had an excellent experience. Now 17 weeks pregnant I’m back there again and despite not having met my midwife yet (booking and 16wk appointments are by phone atm) it’s been a positive experience so far and am always in contact with the same midwife.

C&W have a wonderful, pretty new, birth centre with private (but not paid for) rooms with birthing pools Etc and if you are low risk you have all your appointments there too. The ‘hospital side’ of the maternity unit is more wards based with fewer private (non paid for rooms). I think this is different to Kingston where it’s all private rooms?

I’ve attached the C&W schedule of appointments in case of interest.

And something basic but perhaps worth considering in the current climate parking at Kingston is so much easier... there is a car park at C&W but It’s always full so totally useless. Partners aren’t allowed to join appointments at the moment so my husband has been driving me to the hospital and then driving around whilst I’m in before picking me up.

I’m obviously no expert but any questions let me know!

GrendelsCat Tue 26-May-20 20:21:22

I'm at Chelsea and a Westminster this time after a traumatic first birth at a different hospital. So far they've been brilliant - professional and very organised, and they've been really accommodating and understanding of my worries etc after my previous experience. Haven't had the baby yet, but so far I couldn't recommend them enough.

mobear Tue 26-May-20 20:45:18

I’m nearly 20 weeks and have been with C&W from the start. I can’t comment on the birth obviously but everything else has been good. I have a residents’ parking permit though so I haven’t had problems with parking.

Worriedmum97 Tue 26-May-20 20:55:44

I found Kingston maternity pretty good. Postnatal ward less so, they were quite slow to discharge me when pandemic was in full swing, had to wait till 6pm to be allowed to go home next day after birth but it was probably for them to make sure me and baby are ok. But I had a straightforward pregnancy/birth.

Roxyoc Wed 27-May-20 15:12:05

Thank you all very much for sharing your experience of C&W which all seem very positive.

I had not thought about parking which could prove an issue for me or the single post natal rooms. Saw my midwife today who said Kingston will do 3 home visits once baby is born but C&W will not as I am outside the catchment area.

Are all of the antenatal And postnatal appointments at C&W hospital?

Hollielouise Fri 29-May-20 13:00:44

@Roxyoc I've had the 20 week scan in Victoria but everything else was at C&W, though appointment schedule has changed and some of the standard midwife appointments are over the phone at the moment.

Roxyoc Sun 31-May-20 12:46:02

Thank you Hollielouise.

Rachelclaire85 Sun 31-May-20 12:51:24

I can't give first hand experience but my mum is a midwife and has experience working in most hospitals in south London. Both herself and her colleagues all say C&W is the best place especially if you are interested in trying to achieve a more natural birth. Their birth centres are great and they are the only hospital carrying on their home birth scheme during this time and keeping birth centres open. I'm too far away otherwise I would definitely be going there!

Roxyoc Tue 07-Jul-20 19:20:46

@Rachelclaire85 thank you so much for your input and taking the time to share your moms views. Much appreciated.

Ps apologies for the late reply. I’ve been very ill with covid and only just recovering

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in