Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

post-natal knickers

(14 Posts)
atalantis Thu 26-Jul-07 15:40:07

This might be a really silly question, but is there any reason why you can't just carry on wearing the knickers that you'd been wearing right through your pregnancy in the days after delivery? Mine are just normal bikini ones which sit under the bump. Everyone seems to advise buying new knickers especially for after giving birth, but I'd rather get my old ones covered in blood and then throw them out and buy lovely new nice ones than buy granny pants especially for the post-natal period. I suppose that if you have a c-section bikini style knickers wouldn't work, but if you have a normal vaginal delivery, is it really necessary to spend money on such dismal pants?

Washersaurus Thu 26-Jul-07 16:19:46

I bought cheap bikini pants in a size bigger to ensure lots of room for those gorgeous maternity pads . I wouldn't normally wear these kind of knickers (am more of a thong or 'boy pant' type of girl - sorry if tmi) hence the special purchase!

Tutter Thu 26-Jul-07 16:21:07

the maternity sanitary pads are quite chunky - i find that the only knicks that really cut the mustard are the boy-short type ones

(which am currently sporting, complete with attrrractive materity pad) <twirls>

Quootiepie Thu 26-Jul-07 16:25:14

You just want the biggest, fattest knickers money can buy after birth IMO. When they are big they hold the pads better, no chance of being slightly tight on stitches etc. and just generally soooo comfy . I just bought some a few sizes too big from Tesco for a few quid, definatly worth it.

Washersaurus Thu 26-Jul-07 16:30:11

Quootiepie; mine were tesco cheapies too

Tutter; I would not risk ruining my lovely comfy boy-pants (they are my faves)

Gemy Thu 26-Jul-07 20:42:04

Also, having just having the baby your belly will be all floppy and squashy. Rather than letting it all hang, some people prefer almost to 'tuck it in' and have more 'support' and the bigger the pants the better for this.

I am a definate thong girl or low shorts and was overjoyed when I could start wearing my normal underwear.

Also, I think having more support around that area, and wearing my maternity clothes after the birth (with what was my bump area being held in) helped my shape return quicker

sazzybee Thu 26-Jul-07 20:48:11

If you're happy to throw the knickers away then no I guess not. Except that there is something comforting about big pants. I still wear some of mine a few months later. I am convinced they make me look thinner

Rainbowdays Thu 26-Jul-07 20:50:56

After giving birth with dc2 I used the disposable knickers - cheap and as they say disposable, so less to think about. They were surprisingly comfortable, supportive yet lightweight around the tummy. Just thought I would suggest them rather than buying big knickers instead?!?!?!? I found normal cotton knickers too hot and heavy compared to the disposables.

Washersaurus Thu 26-Jul-07 21:13:44

Paper pants.......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

maveta Thu 26-Jul-07 21:18:20

Well it´s hardly a lot of money.. I had a 6 pack from - oh that really really cheap shop, can´t bloomin´ remember the name now - wherever - for 2 quid! They were size 12/14 but seemed blimmin´ enormous and yes, they were dead comfy after the birth when I didn´t really want to be picking knickers out of my bum crack.

maveta Thu 26-Jul-07 21:18:37

Matalan..

naturelover Fri 27-Jul-07 10:23:32

Ha ha! Usually I wear size 12 G string, but yesterday I bought size 16 granny knickers from BhS (cheap in sale). My DH and I had a good laugh at them. They DO look comfortable however and will presumably be big enough to accommodate those lovely pads I also bought. And they come right up to the belly button so in case of emergency c-section at least I know they won't sit on the sore bit.

DH joked that afterwards we can sew the legs up and make pillowcases.

The glamour of it all...

maveta Fri 27-Jul-07 16:50:36

lol naturelover.. oh he may laugh but if he sees you in them...my dh was appalled and ordered me to take them off. Think it gave him a glimpse of middle age...

maveta Fri 27-Jul-07 16:51:24

* I should add this was when I modelled them when I still barely had a bump.. (they were a dubious christmas pressie from a friend so I had them months in advance)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now