Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bounty packs - are they worth getting?

(26 Posts)
iamreginaphalange Tue 18-Apr-17 10:43:19

Just that really.
Are they any good? Or is it just a load of samples and flyers?

In a word, no.
They're exactly what you've said. A load of marketing rubbish and paper for the recycling.
And a sample of spaghetti bolognese seasoning, weirdly. Not sure if I'm expected to rub it on the baby confused

FanaticalFox Tue 18-Apr-17 10:46:42

They're free! And you get nappies, stretch mark cream, bepanthan, sudocrem etc etc etc. They're fab just get them! Who says no to freebies?!

BigBlockofCheese Tue 18-Apr-17 10:49:40

The little pot of sudocrem is good for the change bag. And that's it. I was just given it by my midwife so didn't have to give away my details to get it so in that respect - free pot of cream - yeah great.

I binned everything else and when they walked into the delivery room after birth of dc2 I told them to bugger off so no idea if they give you anything better in hospital.

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness Tue 18-Apr-17 10:51:00

I got a nice herbal tea in one of mine once.......

HeyCat Tue 18-Apr-17 10:53:44

You get a tiny pot of Sudocrem which is useful for the change bag, but if you contact Sudocrem on their website they'll send you one free as a sample.

Everything else was just flyers - the packs are nowhere near as good as they used to be. Ignore anyone who got one years ago and got loads of good stuff, there's nothing in themnow.

And they will sell your details to a thousand mailing lists so you'll be getting junk mail for years, it's not worth it.

Instasista Tue 18-Apr-17 10:54:33

No they're rubbish and it's all marketing. The boots packs are worth it though

SquedgieBeckenheim Tue 18-Apr-17 10:56:00

3 years ago I got loads of goodies including a towel.
This year was just flyers, tens pads and a tiny sudocrem. But they are free... Midwife gave me mine so at no point did I give out any personal info.

Crunchyside Tue 18-Apr-17 10:56:57

I wouldn't bother this time round as I have become more minimalist as I've got older and I don't believe in bringing additional clutter and waste into the house. It's just full of bits of paper and flyers advertising everything from life insurance to graze boxes and clothing companies.

Even if you are lucky enough to get some nappies and wipes it's literally not even going to be one day's supply! Totally pointless.

BigBlockofCheese Tue 18-Apr-17 11:06:16

If you live near a John Lewis they were my favourite baby sign up. Coffee and cake for 2 on sign up and again when the baby was born and a very nice teddy. I'm not actually that in to stuffed toys but it was good quality and not some naff branded marketing toy.

iamreginaphalange Tue 18-Apr-17 11:15:42

Thanks all for you replies.

@BigBlockofCheese thanks for the tip 👍🏻

GinnyBaker Tue 18-Apr-17 11:23:04

Bounty bags give me the rage.....How is this still alllowed?

I literally had to have an argument at St Thomas's in the post natal ward when woken up by the bounty idiot to get her to leave without me taking a pack or giving my details.... classic phrases included :

"But everyone loves bounty. We are their favourite visitor! There must be something very wrong with you if you don't love bounty!"

I guess there must be something very wrong with me then!

iamreginaphalange Tue 18-Apr-17 11:43:55

@GinnyBaker what? Sorry? They let them in the hospital to try and flog you one? Seriously?
Sorry I didn't know this as this is my first baby.

annlee3817 Tue 18-Apr-17 11:53:28

They come into the hospital and try and sell you a photo package, they bleat on about capturing those first precious moments with professional pictures. No commitment etc, I politely decline and told them that my Dad does photography and wanted him to take the first pics, she left me with the bounty pack and I gave an old email address. Refused to give my actual postal address. It had a persil towel in it, the sudocrem and that was it plus loads of leaflets. It also had the form to claim family tax credits I think, but you can get them online. They appear within hours of you giving birth, found it intrusive.

kathrynelizabeth3005 Tue 18-Apr-17 12:18:12

I'm days away from giving birth and hearing that someone might come in and try and flog me absolute marketing rubbish straight away is making my already hormonal blood boil!

I feel sorry for whoever has that task because I imagine I'll tell them very rudely to get the hell out.

The only useful thing in the bounty packs is the tiny 10g pot of sudocrem! Everything else is a load of old tosh!

GinnyBaker Tue 18-Apr-17 12:22:26

I don't know if things have changed, but in 2014 when i had ds, there was a pack full of crap leaflets you got during an antenatal appointment and a second pack on the postnatal ward which you had to give your contact details to get...bounty rep was allowed to swan in an out to the ward, even when visitors weren't allowed in.

Bounty is a company who make money selling your name and address on lists of new parents to other companies....that's what they do....the pack is just the devise they use to get it. Its not some group of people who are so happy you've just had a baby they are volunteering to come to hospital to give you free stuff...their job is to get info about you they can sell.

My SIL baby was in special care and she was in private ward after a crash section (with a general anaesthetic) when bounty woman came into the private room and asked where the baby was cause she wanted to photograph them...hence my refusal to have anything to do with them when I had DS and was told there must be something very wrong with me.

Northgate Tue 18-Apr-17 12:25:24

The Bounty people were on the postnatal ward every time I had a baby.

But they seem to have toned it down since DC1 - I don't even remember seeing them with DC3 but the pack appeared by my bed. In terms of useful stuff - the postnatal pack included 2 nappies, a pack of 12 wipes, a tiny tiny pot of sudocrem, a child benefit application form and about a kilo of junky leaflets. Nothing to get excited over.

GinnyBaker Tue 18-Apr-17 12:25:33

sorry should read she was in a private room on the ward, ie side room, not a private ward!

Instasista Tue 18-Apr-17 12:31:47

I won't have anything to do with bounty for the same reasons Ginny. The woman was gobsmacked i didn't want my pack when she turned up to the c-section recovery ward and started pressing them on everyone shock

arbrighton Tue 18-Apr-17 12:52:36

Reminds me, must brief OH that a) such crazyness exists and b) to try and head them off at the pass as I will probably be rude post birth, regardless of how 'well' that goes

iamreginaphalange Tue 18-Apr-17 13:26:24

@arbrighton agree! I shall be briefing OH too.
Like others said - it's too intrusive and no matter how well labour might have gone it's the last thing I will want to do.

oliversmummy26 Tue 18-Apr-17 14:55:10

Just got my Emma's Diary pack today which is far more worthwhile getting, Bounty this time round are definitely skimping on the freebies, I had loads when I was pregnant with DS 5 years ago, but this time it's 1 nappy, and some bum cream, other than that just flyers and money off vouchers!

SquedgieBeckenheim Tue 18-Apr-17 15:01:13

I never saw them on the wards, but strongly believe they should be banned from there.
DD1 was premature and in NICU, they must have come when I was with her.
DD2 I was only on the ward 9 hours so missed them.

FeelingForSnow Tue 18-Apr-17 16:55:06

I got one from my MF at my booking in app. I've never heard of them before ( not British ) and took it. As soon as I opened it was clear what a marketing s**t it is.
Full of adverts I have no interest it and a sheet of Pregnacare.
As some suggested above I'm trying not to over clutter my house.

Just because something is for free doesn't mean I need it.

When Boots does 3 for 2 and if I clearly do not need extra eye shadow I refuse to take something.

I have done in the past and it always ends up in the bin after a few months or couple of years.

I agree that Bounty is all about selling your details to somebody else and that it's the for free anymore.

And we will be using washable nappies so so am not interested in 2 samples of pampers anyways.

Say NO. grin

bigchris Tue 18-Apr-17 16:56:06

What is in the Emma's diary pack these days ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now