Talk

Advanced search

recommendation for SPD/PGP belt support band??

(4 Posts)
buttershy Tue 14-Jun-16 17:29:49

Hi all I'm 33 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with SPD about 5 weeks ago. Still waiting to see physio (haven't even had letter through yet), saw GP today as pain has gone from mild pelvis discomfort to excruciating back and hip pain that is rendering me practically immobile. I basically broke down with my GP and told her I couldn't continue in this pain. She is ringing my hospital to ask them to refer me more urgently, unfortunately no private physios locally who work with pelvis problems and pregnancy. She said it was worth getting a support band, if you've used one what do you recommend? Also, I have only taken paracetamol so far on the occasion I've had to move about as I'm totally paranoid about becoming reliant on pain relief because of it making me less pain tolerant in labour, she suggested codeine or co-codamol, anyone find this effected their labour and delivery? Any other advice very welcome!

boscros1 Tue 14-Jun-16 18:28:25

I have the serola one and think it's great, got it on amazon. sorry to hear you're in so much pain. It's cruel on tip of everything else.

rachc21 Tue 14-Jun-16 18:51:22

I got mine in mothercare, the support belt.

www.mothercare.com/Nexcare-Maternity-Support-Size-8-18/495806,default,pd.html#q=support

Its helped me massively, ive had SPD in both pregnancies. Also sleeping with a pillow/cushion between my knees xx

IrisPurple1 Wed 15-Jun-16 20:28:03

Hi;

I recommend the Nexcare support belt too, also got it from Mothercare. I'm only 22 weeks so it may be different when you're bigger but I found it very comfortable.

I've been lucky enough to get an excellent physio but before I even got to see her I found the following reduced my pain from shooting pains every time I put my foot down to just stiffness, soreness and having to walk more slowly:
- the support belt
- a heat patch stuck to my back all day
- hot showers
- keeping my legs together when getting in/out of car/bed
- pelvic floor exercises
- posture - sitting up straight
- not sitting / standing/ walking for prolonged periods.
- slowing down! Physio said in her experience ladies who get SPD early are those who are always on the go. As soon as I stopped forcing myself to keep walking at my normal pace it started to get better.

I hope the belt helps and you start to feel better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now