Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Caffeine in high street chains

(11 Posts)
CakeLady456 Wed 08-Jun-16 20:20:51

I live my coffee and midwife said I need to restrict to 200mg of caffeine a day, cue a lot of research of coffee shops on the caffeine levels! Some of them not easy to find so copied below for info for anyone wondering the same.... Cafe Nero rocks for pregnant people!!!

Starbucks 75mg per shot.
Short cappuccino - 75
Tall - 150
Grande - 150
Venti - 225

Cafe Nero 40mg per shot +\-10mg
Both sizes cappuccino 60 - 100mg

Costa
Primo
Cappuccino
Medio
Cappuccino
Massimo
Cappuccino

DesignedForLife Wed 08-Jun-16 20:58:13

Just ask for decaf if you're worried.

CakeLady456 Wed 08-Jun-16 21:03:49

Urgh it's not the same!!

HippyPottyMouth Wed 08-Jun-16 21:11:10

Don't overthink it. Have one and enjoy it, just don't have loads if it worries you.

PseudoBadger Wed 08-Jun-16 21:12:32

Bear in mind a standard coffee at Nero is 2 shots

CakeLady456 Wed 08-Jun-16 21:32:14

Good to know the facts if you're a coffee-holic like me!!!
Yes the cafe Nero have two sizes and both have 2 shots of espresso.

f1ddlesticks Wed 08-Jun-16 22:05:27

Thank you for sharing this! I'm trying to stick to max 2 coffees a day but it's interesting seeing the figures. I make one myself so it's pretty weak, and have one coffee shop one.

limeandsoda93 Wed 08-Jun-16 22:26:46

I work in Costa and the caffeine content shocked me. 195mg in 2 shots. Most people don't know that a large (Massimo) cappuccino/americano/mocha has 4 shots in it. A large latte has 3.

thatorchidmoment Thu 09-Jun-16 20:54:54

Useful! I got into fruit teas when I was pregnant last: teapigs are expensive but actually taste of something other than pond water. I like their apple and cinnamon; super fruit, ginger and lemongrass and one with mint and liquorice. It's nice to have something hot to sip even if it doesn't give you much of a boost. smile

CakeLady456 Thu 09-Jun-16 22:22:01

Yes I've been drinking more fruit tea too! Haven't tried the tea pigs one yet tho I'll give it a go!

smellsofelderberries Thu 09-Jun-16 23:38:21

If you go to a proper coffee shop they will have good decaf. Places that serve Monmouth coffee or Union coffee will absolutely serve decaf that won't taste any different to regular. Otherwise just ask for a single shot. You'll never be able to step foot in a Costa once you've had a coffee made with Union or Monmouth beans.

Alternately, Taylor's of Harrogate does a decent decaf so if you take that and an Areopress to work you could make your own there?

And just to let you know, things like chai lattes can have upwards of 60mg of caffeine too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now