Talk

Advanced search

Anyone Nottinghamshire? QMC or City for delivery?

(11 Posts)
Snowberry86 Fri 15-Apr-16 08:27:22

Expecting a low risk delivery and not sure between City and QMC. Both are a 30 minute drive from our house. We have had fertility testing done at QMC before so are fairly familiar with the hospital but find parking a problem and the size of the places stresses me out a little.

Does anyone have any experience of either?

Twoseventhsaweasley Fri 15-Apr-16 17:53:47

I had both of my babies at City. The care we received both times was brilliant. We never had a problem with parking. I have no experience of giving birth at the QMC but I was advised that City is the better option.

cudbywestrangers Fri 15-Apr-16 17:56:17

Two at city one emcs and one ventouse, second only a couple of months ago. No complaints!

primarynoodle Fri 15-Apr-16 17:57:38

Im under consultant care at city and theyve been dantastic. Been advised its much better in terms of care if there is a problem and a much better 'experience' than qmc in general.

Having said that ive had friends who went to qmc and had no complaints

FATEdestiny Fri 15-Apr-16 18:04:09

Parking is s nightmare at both. I've had all mine at City but have had lots and lots of problems finding a parking space for anti natal appointments near the maternity wing.

Apart from parking, no other complaints about City. I've had a stressful assisted delivery, an tranquil calm birth, a no pain relief birth and an induction followed by EMCS - all at City.

Some births nicer than others, but genuinely don't think that had anything to do with which hospital.

My sil had a negative birth experience with her first at City so changed to QMC for her second and had a VBAC but poor post natal care.

I think it's swings and roundabouts. We are lucky that Nottm NHS Trust is very good so shouldn't really matter which you go to.

In your position if you know QMC better than City and your only worry is parking I would go with QMC.

Heavenscent86 Fri 15-Apr-16 18:10:45

I had a regular vaginal birth at QMC and an elective c section more recently. I had no problems with the care I received and in fact this time round they were fantastic as I was quite poorly and had a few complications. Postnatal care was very good after my recent section. I just wish they were better at providing gluten free food options.

Snowberry86 Fri 15-Apr-16 19:14:39

Thanks everyone.

I am quite anxious about hospitals so feel like I want somewhere I will feel is right.

I am having my scans done in Newark so I won't need to go to the hospital before the birth much will I?

primarynoodle Sat 16-Apr-16 14:47:23

In that case snow, i would choose the hospital that is closest/easiest to get to as they are much of a much really judging by everyone elses experiences!

Elephantslovetofly Sat 16-Apr-16 19:19:09

Do you live anywhere near King's mill? I am having mine there and it's lovely. Just wondered as you say you are having scans at Newark. If I had to choose between city and qmc I would go for city. Have been to both for reasons other than maternity, and I have doctor friends who have all chosen city over qmc for having babies - there must be a reason, although I don't really know what it is!

Snowberry86 Sun 17-Apr-16 08:33:34

I'm in Newark so same distance between Lincoln, Kingsmill, City and QMC.

I don't want Kingsmill because I had a bad experience there with something else. I'm sure labour suite is fine but the place makes me stressy.

Huckleberryfriend Mon 18-Apr-16 17:29:03

Haven't been on here for ages, but just spotted this. I've been at QMC, City, Kingsmill, Lincoln and Peterborough. QMC and City have their new Sanctuary Birth Centre's (dimmed lights, pools etc). Both are good, at a push I'd choose City as it's a bit quieter. Kingsmill is a new build, the birth rooms are modern and have sound proofing and it's a good unit with a low caesarean rate, but surprisingly for a newer unit only 1 pool.

I would choose all of those over Lincoln if it were me. Have you considered Bassetlaw/Worksop? I spoke to a midwife recently who says it's a very good unit, smaller, loads of parking and very easy to reach from Newark - Straight up the A1 - She also said she's happy to show people around - which is not something you can do in the larger hospitals.

You can always change your mind later on in your pregnancy. Once you've made a choice it isn't fixed! I've known women switch at 38 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now