Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby bath?

(25 Posts)
brookeberry Tue 19-Jan-16 12:03:48

Hi all, I'm just looking at the ever growing list for my baby. To all the people who have done this before, is it worthwhile getting a baby bath, or is a support for the sink recommended, or nothing? What do you think?

Thanks smile

DangerMouth Tue 19-Jan-16 12:08:03

We had a baby bath for dd1 as we didn't have an actual bath at the time. She used it until she was about 3 - she was teeny! But it was nice when she was a baby to bath her in the lounge near the heater. We use it now for dd2 and while we now do have a bath l wouldn't want to bath dd2 in it at the moment as it's very cold.

But l find the thought of bathing a baby in a sink a bit weird!

chandelierswinging Tue 19-Jan-16 12:08:16

I bought a fancy bath gadget and was given another as a gift. Neither worked for us as you needed so much water, or help with bathing, it would've been easier getting in a normal bath with baby!

Opted instead for a 49p Value Washing Up bowl. Job done grin

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Tue 19-Jan-16 12:08:34

I used a baby bath for babies no.1 & 2. In fact blush I actually took the baby bath with me when visiting grandparents with no.1.

Bath was then used in garden as a water toy.

Babies no.3 & 4 managed fine without anything. They normally ended up getting dunked in the dirty water that their older siblings were splashing about in.

To sum up:
1) You'll probably use the bath
2) Bath can also be used as an outdoor toy in summer
3) Bath is completely unnecessary

There is one more point - baths are pretty cheap, so you won't waste much money if you do get one.

PennyHasNoSurname Tue 19-Jan-16 12:12:11

We didnt have one. Both ours went into the big bath on a terry towelling ramp from Mothercare. Once they could sit reliably they then just sat in the bath on a standard bath mat.

I never understood the baby bath - surely they are too heavy to cart around when they have water in them?

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Tue 19-Jan-16 12:14:10

Oh, we just used to put the baby bath in the big bath. Which sounds a bit silly, but actually makes sense, as you only have to put a small amount of water in it. And it was easy to empty when you'd finished.

Only1scoop Tue 19-Jan-16 12:16:15

Had a lovely Mammas and papas bath with a slope and but a big teddy sponge on it.

When went in big bath eventually had a brilliant bath seat with suckers that stuck to base of bath.

HandbagFan Tue 19-Jan-16 12:17:22

We're looking to get this one...

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SNM4KS0?colid=2BWGV9ESW4MS5&coliid=I3CRJIZWM8C8WD&redirect=true&ref_=br_it_dp_o_nS_ttl&vs=1

Our bath is huge and we're impatient, plus this is portable.

brookeberry Tue 19-Jan-16 12:20:02

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I love the idea of using it as an outdoor toy in the summer!

danger you wouldn't believe how many people have said to me to just plop him in the sink!

Okay it sounds like a worthwhile purchase. Which should I get (I'm so clueless right now). A kind of a bucket shape:

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+mini-bath-tub-in-bathtime-and-healthcare+B9169

Or a supporty shape:

www.amazon.co.uk/Shnuggle-Cosy-Bath-Support-Backrest/dp/B0107WO15A/ref=sr_1_12?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1452788180&sr=1-12&keywords=babys+bath

Thank you again smile

brookeberry Tue 19-Jan-16 12:21:05

Oh cross messages handbag and snap! grin

Eminado Tue 19-Jan-16 12:24:03

We did the same as Matilda and will do again

sherbertlemon17 Tue 19-Jan-16 15:42:16

We've got an angelcare bath support. Our LO is 5 weeks old and loves having a bath on it. We can bath her with both hands rather than wrestling a slippery eel with 1 hand as it supports her so well.

evilgiraffe Tue 19-Jan-16 15:52:00

We didn't have a baby bath as they are MASSIVE and we had nowhere to keep it. Instead we got a cheap knockoff of a tummytub - basically a bucket. It meant baby could have really deep water and be quite upright, and she was fairly easy to handle when all wet and slippery.

Luckygirlcharlie Tue 19-Jan-16 16:11:03

Never used ours. Just took up space in cupboard. Angel care bath seat til they can sit up and then a fisher price bath mat that sticks to the bath and gives them good grip to sit on.

Junosmum Tue 19-Jan-16 17:46:17

We have a baby bath and we use it. Our sink is porcelain and so I think its a bit hard and cold! He also gets in the bath with me, which he loves.

The big bath just uses too much water.

Dixiechick17 Tue 19-Jan-16 20:58:17

We got the tommee tippee mini bath, was really pleased with it and used it until out DD was five months old. Not too expensive either.

Etak15 Tue 19-Jan-16 21:05:52

Had a baby bath in normal bath with pfb - or used to fill it and put it in bedroom where I thought it was warmer? (No wonder my back used to hurt!) with the rest it was the sink - bathroom sink not kitchen! And then in with older one as they got too big for the sink, sink is better for your back and joints too - none of that bending, lifting, kneeling, leaning over at awkward angles.

Artandco Tue 19-Jan-16 21:08:30

Ours used to just be bathed in the sink. What's wrong with that? It's just a small bath

Or we had a bath in big bath and brought them in with us.

Artandco Tue 19-Jan-16 21:09:14

And yes sink is great height, no bending over as at the right height.

NeedsAMousekatool Tue 19-Jan-16 21:10:40

I had a folding Stokke baby bath that I put on the draining board and filled with the kitchen tap. It has a little rubber stopper so it emptied into the kitchen sink. The enamel sink seemed a bit cold and hard for my pfb grin The Stokke baths aren't cheap but DH got ours off eBay for pennies and I love it.

Tfoot75 Tue 19-Jan-16 21:17:47

We didn't have one first time around, just ended up getting in bath with baby. Sink not practical as too shallow and has a great big tap in the way!

Getting one second time around as it'll mean DD can help to bath the baby, as bath isn't accessible enough due to shower screen. They are inexpensive but do take up space, and like pp said handy for filling with water or sand in the garden once you've finished with it!

NickyEds Tue 19-Jan-16 21:42:33

I'd get a baby bath. I did as pp suggest and put it into the bag bath so as to save water. Basin was too small and the taps got in the way. Something like this

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4125840.htm

Don't bother with any support type things as you'll want to hold your baby yourself anyway. This one is cheap, easy to clean and easiest to turn into paddling pool/sand pit when you're done!

brookeberry Wed 20-Jan-16 12:26:25

Thanks all for the bath recommendations, it's much appreciated! smile

Looserella Wed 20-Jan-16 12:30:17

Sink for first few weeks then baby bath in big bath for ages. I had a cheap value one from Boots.

Picklesauage Wed 20-Jan-16 16:31:22

We have used a baby bath support seat for both of ours. It's one of e best buys we ever had!

It means they can be in the big bath and supported without us holding her. Both of ours loved the bath, I think because they could kick easily and feel the water, but feel secure. We have had friends use it when they come with their children and love it too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now