Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

spd best support belt?

(10 Posts)
spandau1980 Wed 10-Oct-12 18:44:52

I have lower back probs newly diagnose with peer poor pelvic floor muscles (twin and singleton pregnancies to thank for that ) and now possible spd
im nearly 23 weeks and thoroughly miserable never had this with other but that was 10 yrs ago now...im 32 this time not 20 and 23 sigh

Runningblue Wed 10-Oct-12 18:47:39

Have you asked doc or midwife for nhs referral ? They'll give you one for free!
The Velcro strap one I had for 1st preg was very restrictive and not good when sitting down. The tubi grip one I've been given this time is v supportive easier to sit down and generally function...

spandau1980 Wed 10-Oct-12 19:35:58

Got referal for physio will they provide one?

CharleeWarlee Wed 10-Oct-12 19:41:30

http://www.physiomedhomecare.com/Maternity/

Have a look on here. I have SPD and this is where my physio pointed me...althought i've decided to grin and bear the pain for the next 6 weeks...

Runningblue Wed 10-Oct-12 19:57:20

Yes, the nhs physio gave me a support with 1st preg - the Velcro support belt- and this time a massive tubi grip.
I've got to say, the self help stuff is the most effective tho- i have managed to keep it from getting so bad this time around by following the physio advice from the 1st preg.
This is a PDF of the guide I was given the other day by my physio - it's very good www.colchesterhospital.nhs.uk/patient_information/physiotherapy/women_men/1047n%20Symphysis%20Pubis%20Dysfunction.pdf

take3 Wed 10-Oct-12 20:45:21

If you have a spare £35 then buy a Serola belt from Amazon. I got one at the start of this pregnancy and it really has made a big difference. At our hospital they do give them out if you have been referred to physio but that can take ages and every day means pain.... also you can buy blue ones from amazon so you can hardly see it if wearing blue jeans (the hospital ones I have seen are white).
Look on you tube too - that tells you how to wear it correctly. I have found it really reduces the pain a lot and also makes my pelvis and back more stable. The only downside is it is a big uncomfortable wearing it when sitting.

Secondsop Wed 10-Oct-12 20:50:37

I got a belt for free from the hospital's antenatal day assessment centre - didn't have to wait until my physio appointment to get it. They keep a supply and just measured me and fitted it that day.

I havent really got on with it to be honest but that's because my pain was mainly around my back/hips rather than my pelvis.

CharleeWarlee Wed 10-Oct-12 21:10:21

sad wish mine gave me one for free - they refused point blank

<huffs quite a bit at the stinginess of NHS in my County>

PragmaticWench Thu 11-Oct-12 14:26:06

Be really careful about letting a physio put a belt on you, they aren't always qualified enough to get your pelvis in the correct alignment first; you're better off seeing an osteopath. If support belts are put on incorrectly, you can really damage your pelvic floor long-term.

spandau1980 Thu 11-Oct-12 17:30:13

My pelvic floor is really weak its making walking miserable like its all falling out
i had to see a private consultant to wk out my issues...
Don't wanna make things worse sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now