Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anxiety in pregnancy

(8 Posts)
Flowerface Thu 01-Sep-11 17:58:02

I am very early into my secon pregnancy and have started suffering with anxiety. This manifests itself as struggling to draw breath - I had this once before, when I was 18 and my granddad was dying - but not since, and I haven't got any comparable stresses in my life at present.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am mainlining chamomile tea and off the caffeine, but I am finding it quite hard to wind down, and to sleep. I am not conscious of stressing over the pregnancy particularly - I know it's v early and so the best thing is just to relax and see what happens.

PiggyMad Thu 01-Sep-11 18:11:07

Hi,
I've suffered with anxiety a couple of time in my life. I'm nearly 8 weeks pregnant now and so far it hasn't reared its ugly head but I don't doubt that it will at some point!

Walking and getting out in the fresh air really helped me, also there's a little sniffy thing from Origins (in Debenhams/House of Fraser etc) that is a peppermint inhaler thing and when I used to feel panicky I would sniff it and breathe deeply. Doesn't look like they do it anymore but there's a temple balm thing: www.origins.co.uk/products/3822/Bath-Body/Category/Stress-Relief/index.tmpl?cm_sp=Gnav-_-Bath&Body-_-StressRelief

Also I was worse when tired so make sure you're getting enough sleep and looking after yourself - hard when you're so knackered all the time in early pregnancy!

Also make sure you're getting enough B-vitamins and vitamin d and generally eating well and having relaxing baths etc.

Hope some of that helps in some way!

Thumbelina79 Thu 01-Sep-11 18:32:25

I really feel for you becuase panicing is just awful.

When not pregnant I have Bachs rescue remedy - its herbal, but it may have a little dot of Brandy in it - I'm not sure - Boots and Health food shops sell it. I'm sure they could tell you about it - or google!

I had a friend who carries lavender and uses oodles in her baths.

Another friend found a particular incense worked for him and he would carry it around and have a sniff when needed.

Other than that exercise. If I dont exercise I start to get panicy. Thing is I do not have a body which likes moving around it would rather be watching Emmerdale and scoffing sweets, so its an effort. I like a bit of zumba or aqua aerobics - the stuff that can give me a giggle.

Hope this helps,

ps - are things in your life moving too fast? Can you slow it down a bit so that you feel more space and relaxed?

KatyN Thu 01-Sep-11 20:02:31

I suffer with anxiety too.
If it's breathing you are struggling with you could try breathing into a paper bag or a balloon (yes you might look crackers so you might want to hide somewhere at first). This regulates your breath but also gives you something else to concentrate on.

i've also found that a smelly thing really works.. I have an origin minty gel and some lavender oil with me at all times.

the most important thing to remember is that NOTHING IS ACTAULLY HAPPENING and you are going to be fine.. in 10 minutes you will be back to normal it's just that until then you feel a bit dodgy,

kt

pregnantmimi Thu 01-Sep-11 23:33:16

Hi I suffer with depression and have found during pregnancy I have had trouble breathing too and its also down to being pregnant as when meantioned to my friends they had the same while pregnant.

I also get a thumping heartbeat when it gets to bad I try to lie down and breathe slowly though my nose till it calms down.

Baths have helped and having facials. Just slow down and take it easy I tryed to carry on as before but realised I cant but yeah you will prob feel like that all the way thou and worry about everything but its normal.x

Flowerface Fri 02-Sep-11 08:58:36

Thanks everyone. I'll get hold of some smellies!

BedHog Fri 02-Sep-11 10:27:24

See if there is a pregnancy yoga course available in your area - ask at the childrens centre, as some are free. It will really help with breathing and calming yourself down.

There is also a good book called Overcoming Anxiety, by Helen Kennerley, which will explain your feelings and give you coping techniques.

If you find the anxiety is affecting your pregnancy or everyday life too much, ask your midwife for a referral to an additional support midwife.

ClarityMa Fri 02-Sep-11 22:44:37

Pregnancy yoga & acupuncture al have research showing they reduce anxiety

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now