Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can stretch marks appear after birth?

(8 Posts)
Newmummytobe79 Thu 25-Aug-11 17:08:11

I seem to have gained a lot of weight on my thighs - which were once lovely and slim and are now chunky and have stretch marks on them sad

I do however seem to have got away without any stretch marks on my tummy (I don't know how as bump is huge but I have slathered myself in baby oil since week 5! smile )

I'm now just over 39 weeks and hoping I will get away with it! But can they appear after you've given birth?

NatzCNL Thu 25-Aug-11 18:07:50

I found that my stretch marks became more noticable after the birth, and discovered I had some in places I hadn't noticed as I began to 'deflate'. You may have got away with it, or may be too stretched to be able to see them yet. Will keep my fingers crossed that you got away with it smile xx

SpannerPants Thu 25-Aug-11 20:58:33

I only had stretchmarks over the sides of my bump until a week after I gave birth, when I developed them on my thighs and the backs of my knees sad also got a few on my boobs when my milk came in.

theyoungvisiter Thu 25-Aug-11 21:01:06

yes! grrrr.

In my case anyway. I discovered loads on my lower abdomen when it deflated post-birth. Think it was too stretched and in too awkward a position before.

I think it's genetic - my mum was prone to them too.

RockChick1984 Thu 25-Aug-11 21:12:49

I had none when I went into labour, I had been checking under my bump with a mirror! They only appeared as I deflated, sorry!! If it's any consolation, ds is now 5.5 months and they are hardly visible already.

moomsy Fri 26-Aug-11 12:40:00

Oh my God this worries me lol - I have the biggest bump ever, so big I keep getting asked if I am carrying twins.

39 weeks + 5 and here is me thinking I have been spared.

Currently creaming oiling and lathering sometimes up to 3 times a day sad

fleurdemaquis Fri 26-Aug-11 12:45:36

I developed mine as I deflated - on the backs of my knees like another poster, and on my breasts, which bother me lots more than the ones on my tummy. BUT I've been on the beach in a bikini top and loving it - it's just a mark of the amazing thing your body has done and I don't know anyone - male or female - who doesn't have at least a few stretchmarks somewhere. Watching them appear is disconcerting but they'll be fading before you know it.

theyoungvisiter Fri 26-Aug-11 13:46:38

I don't know if this is reassuring or not - but there's no evidence that creams or oils help with prevention. Stretchmark damage is done at the deepest level of your skin where the creams couldn't possibly penetrate.

It's a nice thing to do, and it can help with other stuff like that itchy tight feeling. But I wouldn't worry too much about applying religiously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now