Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnacare/Pregnacare plus- Good? Bad? Indifferent?

(20 Posts)
MSCONFUSED Fri 12-Aug-11 19:52:33

As a newbie 1st time MTB I've been looking into supplements to make DC as healthy and nutritionally satisfied as possible. Been told Pregnacare and Pregnacare + are really good- what do you think? Do you know where to get best value 'must have' products?

Crosshair Fri 12-Aug-11 20:25:04

I just have the asda pregnancy multivitamin when I remember, as long as you're eating well I dont think its a necessity.

Iggly Fri 12-Aug-11 20:25:52

They made me sick - most supplements did. Just try and eat a balanced diet and you should be fine.

lolajane2009 Fri 12-Aug-11 20:27:10

You should take folic acid till 12 weeks and they are good as they have it in. I have to admit I have loads in my house but forget to take them.

melliebobs Fri 12-Aug-11 20:51:26

a few friends of mine had pregnacare and both of them it made their morning sickness beyond ridiculous. It got to the point where they were bedridden. The moment they stopped taking it, ok they still had sickness but at least theycould fully function

Personally i was taking Superdrugs pregnancy multivitamin and itrealy disagreed with me. I think it was because it had 100% Iron and it made me so sicky and had really bad upset stomach. In the end just stuck to trying to eat as much fruit as poss and stuck to the folic acid

Oeisha Fri 12-Aug-11 20:57:06

I'm using pregnacare+ simply because I probably don't eat enough fatty acids (fish etc). Took pregnacare alll through TTC too. Took fish oils prepg as, well, probably all placebo, they seemed to help with migraines, so have kept it going through pg. I wanted as safe as I could find in in pg and pregnacare offered it. My SILs use pregnacare and many others have recommended it to me.
Anyway, I get mine of This site as it's as cheap as I've found - though I've not looked about for a while.
But, like others have said, your folic acid is the one to watch. If you eat otherwise healthily you'll be fine. I just take mine for 'backup'.

duffybeatmetoit Fri 12-Aug-11 21:15:10

I took pregnacare throughout my pregnancy and I didn't get any cravings whatsoever which I believe was due to taking it. I was sick throughout but I don't think that was connected to the pregnacare, more down to DD having a full head of hair at birth if what everyone kept telling me was right grin

Crosshair Fri 12-Aug-11 21:17:51

I thought with normal pregnacare you are pretty much paying for the brand and a fancy box, didnt think they where any different to other multivits? I may be wrong.

titan Fri 12-Aug-11 21:20:05

I used pregnacare plus throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding. I found Amazon to be the cheapest place to get them. I think it's worth taking omega 3 and I found it reassuring that the pregnacare one is meant to be very pure and designed for pregnancy.

Oeisha Fri 12-Aug-11 21:40:22

Usual multivits have vit A and the likes, I think there are fewer of these in the pregnancy ones, as well as having decent levels of iron and zinc. But, again, if you have a healthy, varied diet, you'll be fine.
Babycentre has good information about multivits...

MrsChemist Fri 12-Aug-11 21:46:43

I took them for about a week, but they were massive and swallowing them whole with morning sickness just meant that I was retching every time I took them.

I stuck to just little folic acid tablets after then.

Cattleprod Fri 12-Aug-11 21:48:35

They gave me stomach cramps and diarrhoea, I think because of the iron. I changed to folic acid and Spatone and was fine.

Crosshair Fri 12-Aug-11 22:40:52

Sorry I ment other pregnancy multivitamins.

roisinanna Sat 13-Aug-11 11:47:54

They made me so constipated I could barely walk.... Trying to eat a balanced diet...I take the omega oil every now and then as I hate fish.. The iron is heavy going!

emsies Sat 13-Aug-11 12:52:19

I asked my MW after I had been using pregnacare and apparently she had compared vital statistics with the asda pregnancy multivitamin and thought it was just as good - and at a fraction of the price!

Sandra2011 Sat 13-Aug-11 13:53:23

I've used Pregnacare Plus in my both pregnancies.

People say just eat healthy..... doesn't work with me.

Due to 24/7 nausea during first pregnancy (first 12 wks) and now the same my eating habits have been pretty bad so far.

Pregnacare pills are meant to be taken after your main meal.
Not in the morning.

I've always had problems taking big pills but I know this for a good cause and with plenty of water it goes down well.

I wouldn't change them even if I had a cheaper option available.

NorthernChinchilla Sat 13-Aug-11 15:04:38

I took them to begin with (ran into shop and just bought first thing I saw, in major hurry at that point!) and then post 12 weeks just started taking the Superdrug version. I compared the 'ingredients' list in the shop and they were similar enough, and more to the point about a quarter of the price.

Usually use ZipVit on line, and ordered some...which when they arrived were the size and shape of flying saucers, and disintegrated the moment they saw water, which did not make mornings fun. But use them for everything else.

Post 12 weeks and folic acid needs, they're not a necessity if you've got a decent diet, but helpful to just make sure you're getting everything.

Mum2be79 Sat 13-Aug-11 15:35:52

I take pregnacare plus. I'm 20 weeks tomorrow and I've been taking them since I found out I was pregnant at 6 weeks. Before that, I was taking Well Women Conception for about two months.
I've never had any adverse reactions and as for sickness (none) nausea (some) in first trimester, I can't with hand on heart say nausea was down to 'pregnancy' or whether nausea was down to pregnacare plus. It only lasted or about 6 weeks and apart from an aversion to eat, my appetite is back!
There are lots of different vitabiotics on the market. It's down to personal choice. What I will say is that pregnacare is supported by the Royal College of Midwives but is expensive. About £13.00 for a month's supply of pregnacare plus.

Oeisha Sat 13-Aug-11 17:14:44

The site I mentioned before has pregnacare+ them for between £7 and £10 depending on the offer.
Mum2be I like you optimism re: morning sickness! Hate to think how bad I'd be if your theory's right! wink (17wks and still puking, though less frequently now)

Sandra2011 Sun 14-Aug-11 13:46:17

I took Pregnacare plus all through my pregnancy last time and I'm planning to do the same this time.

Although I had a bad nausea for the first 12 weeks I felt really amazing for the rest of the pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now