Talk

Advanced search

Essentials for a second baby?

(16 Posts)
katherine2008 Wed 06-Jul-11 16:12:10

this might be a bit vague, but is there anything you found essential for a second child. I'll have a three year old when dc2 arrives, and am thinking that I might need a buggy board and will definitely need a sling.. anything else obvious that you need second time round that you didn't need the first time? Thanks!

pookamoo Wed 06-Jul-11 16:14:30

Good question, I will lurk to see what people suggest!

My DM suggested getting an additional base for the baby car seat as we now have 2 cars, but as one car has isofix and one doesn't, we can just use the seatbelt in the second car. The only alternative I could come up with was a buggy board, to be honest, as we already used a sling with DD.

When are you due, katherine ?

sodthehousework Wed 06-Jul-11 16:20:33

I'm also interested to see what others recommend. We have got a sling which other friends have found indispensible with baby number 2. I'm not sure DS1 will use a buggy board so am undecided so far about that one.
Baby number 2 is due beginning of Oct so hopefully have a while to get sorted!

ksaunders Wed 06-Jul-11 16:29:00

ooh good question, only just pg myself but like to be ultra organised!
Word of warning, my sister found that the buggy board didn't fit her existing icandy when carrycot in place (my niece would have had to lean back a bit at an awkward angle and of course my sister didn't want to her dd to hurt her back). As it was an expensive investment for the pram, she opted to get a second cheapish double buggy for trips where there would be a lot of walking and she wouldn't be using a sling

katherine2008 Wed 06-Jul-11 16:37:09

I'm due in November, and am starting to think that I might need a double buggy..too! I'm also pondering about whether to get a cradle that'll take me to six months and then but the new baby into DD1's cotbed...

katherine2008 Wed 06-Jul-11 16:42:55

"put the new" not "but"... sorry

msbuggywinkle Wed 06-Jul-11 16:52:16

Sling definitely.
Box of toys/books for DC1 only brought out when you're feeding the baby.
Thermos mug for you!

ifIsaynodontjustaskdad Wed 06-Jul-11 17:03:24

You don't need much to be honest. It depends on your kids and you but possibly consider a double buggy or borrow one for a few months. We have two dd with 2.5 years between. I got a buggy board thinking eldest could be on it and I would use sling when baby slept and toddler did too ... It hasn't worked. Dd1 doesn't like the board and if i need to shop I can't push carry and restrain. In the end my mum treated us to a double buggy out n about it has been brilliant as sometimes they both need to sleep and to put it in perspective the buggy is 10 kg lighter than my mclaren with buggy board and sling dd is18 kg dd2 is 9 kg. With the nappy bag I am still pushing more than half my weight. We did a lot of research to pick it and we love it.

Aside from double buggy I did get and use baby reins for a bit when you are just out with a sling you find you can't run as fast as you used to and attention seeking sometimes manifests as running off.

My two are 3 months apart in terms of clothes seasons September and November babies so we have had to buy some new clothes even though they ate both girls.

Also essential line up arrangements for looking after dc 1 when you are in labour having dc 2 and have a plan to introduce the two to minimize jealousy. That helps when her old stuff is given to new child.

pookamoo Wed 06-Jul-11 18:27:30

That's very helpful, ksaunders because ours is an iCandy Apple and I had wondered about the buggy board. We'll take DD and the pram to the shop and try one out I think, before we buy one!

I don't think we'll need a double buggy because DD walks most places but I can see it would be indispensable if you have a smaller age gap. The other thing is I have an Ergo Carrier which I could pop DD into if needs be and she got really tired. Thankfully she's only little!

Poor second babies, they miss out on so much their big siblings had! They don't care, though, I suppose! smile

katherine2008 Wed 06-Jul-11 19:20:16

pook do you like your Ergo and can you use it from birth? I'm trying to work out which on earth sling to buy - I tried about four with DD1 and sent all of them back as I hated them and she hated them!

pookamoo Wed 06-Jul-11 22:18:39

I love my Ergo, although we used a Kari-Me for DD from about 3 months old, I wish we'd had the KM at birth, it changed our lives!

The Ergo can be used when they are tiny I think, but you have to buy an insert to support their heads.

We have found the Ergo great for DD but at 2 and a half, she only weighs 25 pounds or so, which I am thankful for!

titferbrains Wed 06-Jul-11 22:32:48

is anyone getting a new mattress for baby? Doubt I'll bother, will just air mattress and wash mattress cover.

I got away with borrowing a steriliser first time round and am hoping to make do with microwave steriliser bags this time. I really hate sterilising.

I have a close baby carrier but am going to borrow a baby bjorn as the close baby sling needs to be tightened very regularly and DD nearly tipped out when I bent over a couple of times.

Planning to get a babynest bedside cot as DD hated moses basket (and then I did as well). Have memories of one cold arm as I tried to soothe her from my bed.

Am still trying to decide whether to get the Stokke Xplory as an upgrade from my micralite toro which I love. not sure whether to get a 2nd hand bassinet bit for the Toro and then upgrade to Stokke when DC2 is out of it or to get the stokke bit from birth, which looks quite bulky. Am still a frequent bus user and very rarely see Xplory on a bus.

Have got a mirror toy for next baby as DD didn't much like being on her front and we didn't encourage tummy time enough - needed some cranial osteo to help her to turn her head more. babies are more likely to raise their heads if there's a face to look at in front of them!

allthefires Thu 07-Jul-11 10:26:50

I have got new mattress. Borrowed a crib. Will be getting a good sling.

Want to get a base this time for car seat.

A few new babygros.

Have indulged in a travel grobag too

katherine2008 Thu 07-Jul-11 11:35:40

DD1 took her cotbed mattress into her toddler bed, so our big investment will be a new mattress. Anyone else got any thoughts on trying to push a pram plus a buggy (ie me and dh!) or whether to invest in a double buggy. I am looking at a Baby Jogger City Mini, which seems really reasonable... and I'll look at a Kari me too.

Bumpsadaisie Thu 07-Jul-11 11:51:02

Good question - DD will be 2.4 when DC2 arrives. I can only think of buggy board, new changing mat and if it is a boy maybe some boy clothes.

Oh, and more cardi type things/pramsuits as this will be an Oct baby whereas DD was tiny in the summer and it was boiling.

Bumpsadaisie Thu 07-Jul-11 11:51:40

We didn't bother with a "changing bag" with DD but might invest in one large enough for stuff for 2 DCs this time round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now