Talk

Advanced search

Pillows-Summer vs Dream Genii

(23 Posts)
AmIGoingMad Sat 30-Oct-10 18:43:46

Hello!
Just wondering if you can recommend a sleep pillow- I've looked at the Dream Genii and the the Summer Infant Body Pillow. As both are pretty pricey I thought I'd ask if you'd recommend or not?

MrsTeddy Sat 30-Oct-10 20:46:57

I had a dream genie and loved it, couldn't have done without it towards the end and because it's so long and bendy I also used it after birth when I had baby in bed to feed to wrap round her to make sure she didn't fall out of bed/get squashed! Can't comment on the other type as never tried any others but I was happy with the dream genie.

AlbaDeTamble Sun 31-Oct-10 10:45:11

I got a dream genie at about 20 weeks as I was sleeping incredibly badly, last pregnancy I managed with lots of extra pillows and I thought it was probably an expensive gimmick, but I was feeling 'try anything' desperate as the extra pillows just weren't cutting it. Happy to report it's fantastic, really pleased with it and I'm still sleeping soundly at 30 weeks.

nicm Sun 31-Oct-10 12:16:43

hi, i have the dream genii too. got it about half way with ds and have had it out since about 3 months this time! are really good support for your back and legs as it is so long.

AmIGoingMad Sun 31-Oct-10 20:25:05

well that sounds encouraging! I've had a look at the reveiws on amazon and loads of people are positive but as soon as I see a few negative opinions I end up focusing on those and talking myself out of buying- silly really! Thanks!

Loooopy Sun 31-Oct-10 20:46:45

i got a dream geni, found it great for the first 7 months, but then it didn't give enough support for the last 2 months and had to get another type...

Poppy1969 Sun 31-Oct-10 21:32:45

Hi, I also have a dream genii and would definitely recommend it. It took me a week or two to get used to it but now can't do without it, am 37 weeks. I find my hips really hurt in the morning if I don't use it. It helps me to sleep on my side for hours, not something I do naturally. The only annoying thing is when I try to turn over it can end in a bit of a fight between me and the pillow ;-)

Poppy1969 Sun 31-Oct-10 21:34:10

Oh and the pillow case is really hard to get on and off......

fragola Mon 01-Nov-10 09:42:28

I bought one of these www.bumpto3.com/maternity/pregnancy_essentials/cud dle_me_pregnancy_pillow and I'm currently using it on my 2nd pregnancy. It's fab!

scubamummy Mon 01-Nov-10 10:26:39

Yup, dreamgenii fan here too. I use a thin pillow between my legs in addition to it though, which allows me to pull my top leg up closer to my bump, I feel more comfortable this way.

AmIGoingMad Mon 01-Nov-10 17:32:20

Sounds like I should invest in one! smile

muslimah28 Mon 01-Nov-10 18:10:05

i liked the dream genii but in the last 3 months i used normal pillows as i felt it wasn't firm enough for me. but before then it was great.

vmcd28 Tue 02-Nov-10 11:59:31

I bought a DreamGenii but was really disappointed with it. I found the long bit that goes between the legs flattened out, so didnt give much support. A fluffy pillow works better for me.
Also, the part thats meant to stop you rolling over doesnt seem to do that at all. I seem to fit between them too easily (size 14, so I'm not "slim"), so they do nothing either.
tbh, I was a bit confused with it all - it didnt seem to do anything it says, yet many people rave about them.

OP, you can buy mine if you like - literally attempted to be used twice.

Laska Tue 02-Nov-10 13:15:37

Am 20w and I bought a Theraline Big V maternity pillow (£39 from John Lewis) a few weeks ago and it has been a godsend! My back pain is much reduced, and it's v comfortable.

I had previously bought a Lulla Luna organic pillow from Buy Organics but the pillow was so crap and their service pretty poor, so I sent that back on receipt. The dream genie looked pretty good, but I wanted something a bit more substantial to support my pelvis / back.

BeanInMyBelly Tue 02-Nov-10 13:34:58

I agree with vmcd28 in that I was really disappointed in my DreamGenii. I bought it at about 3 months as I was having trouble sleeping, and thought it would be easier than the ever-increasing arrangement of pillows that I was using. I found the bit that goes between the legs wasn't nearly as comfy as using a normal pillow, not wide enough and again, flattened out. I persevered for about 3 weeks but since then have reverted back to the pillows - the DreamGenii has been relegated to under the bed!

SaraL77 Tue 02-Nov-10 13:54:34

I bought the dreamgenii pillow for my first pregancy and found it really good, but for this pregancy I'm not having as much success, I still wake up with a sore hip. Maybe it's flattened out due to being used quite a bit. I also find I've rolled onto my back sometimes and it's supposed to stop you doing that. Perhaps I need to try a combination with other pillows...

AmIGoingMad Tue 02-Nov-10 20:41:43

Hmmm... maybe I need to continue the research before buying!x

Bumperlicious Tue 02-Nov-10 20:49:21

I have a dream genii that I no longer need if you want to buy one second hand.

AmIGoingMad Fri 05-Nov-10 16:29:38

Thanks bumperlicious but I think I'm going to keep researching for a little bit- also seen a mothercare one now that I'm also considering!

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Fri 05-Nov-10 21:33:57

I found my dream genii super comfortable up until about 31 weeks, but now I find it digs into my bump and makes it too hard to turn over in bed, and I am comfier with just a pillow between my knees.

I also found that the pillow case (which is poly-cotton) went bobbly after about a week and now doesn't feel nice.

Nesbymum Fri 12-Nov-10 14:39:14

I love By Dreamgenii. I am one the people who just couldn't manage without it. Infact I went away for the weekend 2 weeks ago and had to drive 2 hours back home because I forgot to pack the pillow!

chester21 Fri 12-Nov-10 21:59:23

i have the dream genni and it is amazing althoug i am only 15 weeks pregnant always slept on my tummy and it got really uncomfortble about 10 weeks so tried the carefully placed pillows and i was not getting any sleep so dp bought me the dream geni pillow as a i love u gift (as he called it) i thinkit was i will try anything to get you to stop tossing and turning pressie and i have to admit i worked a treat i so would advice you to spend that little bit extra just for a good night sleep.

lucy101 Sat 13-Nov-10 09:04:58

The Dream Genii didn't work for me at all - every time I rolled over it was a real faff. I have ended up with lying on a doubled up spare duvet (makes hips much less painful and supports bump) and have a couple of normal pillows in different thicknesses (between my legs etc.) so can change the support depending on the position I am in/how I am feeling - you are a bit stuck with the Dream Genii as it is so limited in what positions it works in IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now