Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

has anyone worn braces through pregnancy??

(13 Posts)
ladypanda Tue 13-Jul-10 21:22:56

Weird one I know, but I need braces to correct my wonky teeth, and the problem is getting severe as the wonkiness is causing things to crack and break. Trouble is we're trying v hard for our second child, about to enter into the land of enhanced help, and I'm wondering whether to get the braces fixed or whether if I did and then got pregnant they'd be unbearable. Obviously the (very pro-orthnadontics!) dentist says its not a problem but I wondered if anyone had been through it....

Thanks!

Winetimeisfinetime Tue 13-Jul-10 21:29:21

I had them shortly after my ds was born and have to admit I found them very hard to bear. I don't know if I am just a wuss or it was because of also having a new baby to deal with but I ended up having to get them taken out after a few months.

My ds, now 16, on the other hand, has them now himself and has hardly had any problems with them at all.

desertgirl Tue 13-Jul-10 21:45:08

Had them before and all the way through (and after!) my first pregnancy, only minor snag was that I couldn't lie on my back too easily after the first few months - must have been the way DS was lying but I would start feeling faint/sick - so the appointments to tighten, etc, were a bit of a challenge! otherwise, didn't particularly notice any difference being pregnant with them or not being pregnant with them.

Good luck with both

NinjaChipmunk Tue 13-Jul-10 22:14:23

yep i had them before during and after with no problems and now have lovely straight teeth which are in much better condition as i can brush them more easily. i am so glad i did it. we even took before and after photos and so glad i did as you don't realize quite how much they move. good luck!

PenguinNZ Wed 14-Jul-10 09:56:04

Opps, I thought this was a trouser braces thread. Can I just recommend them if you having the "maternity trousers keep falling down" problem.

I had braces as a teenager and I don't recall ever needing anaesthetic etc. But I did have lots of x-rays, which is not good in pregnancy. Also I had to have two teeth removed before I had the braces fitted to make more room in my mouth, if that's the case for you, get it done now! I had a wisdom tooth removed whilst pregnant, which as you can only have paracetemol as pain relief was agony.

nunnie Wed 14-Jul-10 10:08:01

I used to work in an orthodontic centre. There was a couple of pregnant patients, they just avoided the x-rays.

There are times when teeth are required to be removed but that will be done with you general dentist and best to get going before you are pregnant if posible then xrays will be okay.

As for orthodontic treatment you will need impressions which make some people gag but not an issue.
If you have a heart murmur then it becomes slightly complicated due to certain procedures requiring antibiotics before.
Apart from that, there is no sedation or anaestetic is required in the surgery I worked at there was no equipment for these.

You will need regular appointments with the dentist for cleaning as fixed braces cause quite alot of build up.

I had upper fitted when I worked there and they were okay, a week bit odd at first and got some ulcers where they rubbed, but after a few weeks everything settled down.

Good luck with getting pregnant, and if you decide to go for it, good luck with the braces.

nunnie Wed 14-Jul-10 10:10:52

Excuse spelling trying to type this and read something at the same time, multi tasking isn't for me.

Should read no sedation or anaestetic required to have braces fitted or removed.

and should read a wee bit off at first.

TwoCupcakes Wed 14-Jul-10 14:56:45

I had my braces on during my second pregnancy and it was tough – simply because i suffered from what is apparently a common problem among pregnant women where you constantly have a bad, slightly metallic taste in your mouth and my gums were quite weak. I also had borderline hyperemesis which contributed to the neverending yucky taste in the mouth! I had private dental care so was lucky enough to be able to see a hygienist regularly for regular cleans. It did feel painful and i did remember wondering if baby was also feeling it!

If you could, do get the braces fitted and settled in before the pregnancy so that you have time to adjust. It took me a while to adjust to my braces and there were times that i really did hate it. If there’s no rush and you’ve waited this long, maybe think about having your second baby and then do the braces later?

The post-braces smile will be all worth it in the end though! x

EldonAve Wed 14-Jul-10 15:01:25

I had fixed braces when I got pg with dc1 - they came off before the birth. No issues for me

ladypanda Thu 15-Jul-10 21:23:59

What I find hilarious is the thought of starting a thread about trouser braces, thanks for making me smile Penguin!
I think I'll go for it. We're struggling a bit to conceive, so this'll distract me and the law of sod will make it that we fall pregnant the minute they're on!

Thanks everyone xx

MumNWLondon Thu 15-Jul-10 21:34:21

Personally I would wait until afterwards.

Firstly I had a gag reflex during pregnancy so any sort of braces would have caused a problem, secondly the metallic taste someone else mentioned.

Also teeth more vulnerable during pregnancy and harder to clean with fixed braces.

PixieCake Mon 19-Jul-10 18:26:20

I had them. The removable kind. No probs at all but would slip them out before throwing up as they made me gag a bit. I would think fixed braces would be less of a problem. Just avoid the x-rays.

Tabitha78 Wed 17-Feb-16 16:15:56

I just wanted to bump this back up as we're about to start ttc and my orthodontist doesn't want to fit me with braces due to the risk of pregnancy gingivitis. Would be good to know if anyone has had experience of pregnancy and braces recently. I'm 37 so ttc may take a while so I don't know whether to crack on with the braces!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now