Talk

Advanced search

one rabbit left, one died.. are rabbits ok living on their own?

(22 Posts)
SlartyBartFast Mon 07-Jun-10 10:57:05

otherwise it could go on and on...
i feel sad for the one left behind, and i know people do have single rabbits in cages, and anyway, i am not sure about introducing a new rabbit to an older one.
what should i do

mummytosquidgies Mon 07-Jun-10 11:15:49

We're going to have this same problem when one of ours go, but we've said we don't want any more rabbits after these 2, so that's the way it's going to have to be unfortunately.

What we do plan on doing however, is having the remaining rabbit loose in the house, would that be an option for you? I'm also home with children all day so it would have constant companionship, which is what rabbits need, no matter how many times you can get it out of the cage in a day, nothing will replace the other rabbit.

Introducing a baby rabbit to an adult should go smoothly, as the adult will generally take dominance, but of course then the cycle continues.

More info about having the rabbit in the house from www.myhouserabbit.com/ and www.rabbit.org/

Hope you work something out.

SlartyBartFast Mon 07-Jun-10 11:40:05

oh thank you.
she is loose in the garden when i am home, but am not home much. i was thinking of toys for the hutch.
will look at your link

belgo Mon 07-Jun-10 11:42:18

We have one rabbit in the garden, in a closed off section of the lawn. I do go out and talk to her every day, and the children play in the garden. She seems happy enough, but I suppose she has always been an 'only' rabbit so she is used to it.

spacedog Mon 07-Jun-10 20:40:23

Another option would be to take your rabbit to a rescue and ask them to try bonding it to a rabbit of similar age. Particularly worth thinking about if your rabbit isn't elderly and likely to live for a good while longer. Rabbits do need companionship. Or bring your rabbit into the house to live-your company at evenings and weekends is better than no company, plus you can leave tv on, etc when you're not in?

mummytosquidgies Mon 07-Jun-10 21:55:06

That's a really good idea Spacedog. I think if rabbits aren't going to get on it's fairly instant and spectacular, so taking your rabbit with you to the rescue place is a really good plan- if you plan to get another.

I do think rabbits get used to being on their own- our male was on his own for 3 years (all the time we had him) until we acquired our female from a friend (she was unwanted and had been passed from person to person, we're her 4th, and permanent, home). The difference in him after we got her was astounding. So although he was happy enough on his own, you could easily see he was far happier with his own kind. We've had her 2 years now.

Let us know what you decide Slarty

Meglet Mon 07-Jun-10 21:56:36

mine seemed to be ok, but she was a spoilt house & free range garden rabbit. Mum used to feed her fresh fruit at breakfast in the dining room hmm.

SlartyBartFast Mon 07-Jun-10 22:13:23

i can't actually handle her, never been able to.
still undecided.
so is the general concensus she needs company?
although i realise it is very common for people to have just the one.

SlartyBartFast Mon 07-Jun-10 22:14:39

in the hosue where do they do their business?
a little tray?
my remaining rabbit does go in a specific place in the garden, so i spose that is not an unreasonable idea

Meglet Mon 07-Jun-10 22:29:39

yes, cat litter tray. There was the odd dropping around the house but as they are dry they were easily binned.

SlartyBartFast Mon 07-Jun-10 22:38:02

ufnrotunately i have a visiting dog, my mother, who comes twice a week to look after my dc, and so brings her dog, a whippet, not a good match.

star1976 Tue 08-Jun-10 10:48:45

I had two bunnies and one died a year ago. Was advised not to get another as it was likely that mine would not take to it.

She seems to be happy though, has a cage with a ramp down to the run with toys in and a tunnel and we get her out for lots of cuddles.

RunforFun Tue 08-Jun-10 13:54:44

We had 2 rabbits together, they were about 7 years old and had been together since birth. However ond died suddenly. I thought the other would pine away but 8 months later she is still going strong.

I didnt want to replace the lost one in case she died soon after, or if they didnt get on. Luckily she is OK on her own I hope you find yours is too.

diddl Tue 08-Jun-10 14:04:42

We´ve got a lone one now that one has died.

As you say, where does it stop if you keep replacing?

He has always been more "sedate" than the other & I think he quite likes being able to snooze most of the day uninterrupted!

We have a couple of guinea pigs that we put close by & the cat often sits close up to the run watching him.

He also comes in everyday for cuddles & attention.

borderslass Tue 08-Jun-10 17:46:09

we had our rabbits for years at one point 2 of them where having kittens every couple of months.we lost our last 2 18 months ago within 6 weeks of each other but the last one we had was nearly 10 and we knew as soon as the other went she would go as she'd never been on her own.

SlartyBartFast Tue 08-Jun-10 22:09:40

thanks for further thoughts. i did wonder whetehr she might not like the replacement.

we'll see and hope that she is happy on her own. i think i am sadder than she is. she is still doing bunny hops in the garden.

scout1984 Tue 04-Jun-19 14:12:02

hello, am aware this thread is years old but I am in the same predicament and so wondered what you decided to do in the end, and how it worked out?
Thank you

bunnygeek Tue 04-Jun-19 14:22:52

Better to start your own thread Scout.

Short answer, they're definitely best in bonded pairs and can mourn once widowed. My 13 year old bun was widowed at 12, we bonded her with a 2 year old bun and she was like a new girl and had a good few months with him before she took herself off to the fields in the sky. He now has a same-aged wifebun as he was clearly a bit stressed finding himself on his own again.

Rescues help here! All should take back widowed buns if you don't want to get into the neverending cycle. They will also be able to bond yours with similar-aged rabbits.

scout1984 Tue 04-Jun-19 14:37:19

thank you for your help. it's such a tricky situation. i don't want to start the never ending cycle as would eventually like a dog but can't even bring myself to suggest giving the widowed one away to my boyfriend.

AnnieMay100 Wed 05-Jun-19 14:18:02

It’s a myth rabbits need to be paired, obviously company for them is nice but it’s not a strict rule. If you spend time with it and not leave it locked in a cage without any attention it’ll be absolutely fine. The majority of rabbits do better on their own. it’s hard to bond them with a new rabbit later on, no guarantees, then you have to keep two rabbits separate which isn’t ideal. Ive bred and raised rabbits for 25 years and never had a rabbit with issues being alone whether temporary or long term.

bunnygeek Wed 05-Jun-19 14:44:13

My 12 year old bun spent 12 years with her brother, twelve, when she was widowed she was bereft, sat in the doorway of their bedroom (free range house buns), thoroughly confused. Didn't know what to do with herself. When she met Ted, 10 years her junior, she was like a whole new bun, stuck to him like velcro. Fortunately he's a gentle and easy going lad!

When he lost her, he was terribly befuddled. He was like Goldilocks when he went back to the rescue and chose girl number three (the two previous weren't a match for him). They are smitten and he's far more confident with her.

Age is no limit for bonding. I've known buns who have 7-8 years alone, find love as a bonded pair. Always neutered of course.

oldtiredlonely Wed 05-Jun-19 17:54:07

One of my bunnies died a couple of months ago. I was really worried about the one on her own but she seems fine. We put the towel in that we'd held her 'friend' in while giving medicine in the last two days and my son donated a soft toy which she moves around the cage.

She was a bit quiet for a few days but she has gone back to normal now.

She's over 6 years and I don't want to get another and end up with that one on its own and as it go on and on and on......

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »