Talk

Advanced search

Possibly good idea about rabbit hutch floor!

(14 Posts)
Flightattendant Thu 05-Nov-09 06:53:51

I thought this might be worth sharing and also wanted feedback in case it isn't such a good idea as I think! smile

I bought a huge hutch for our rabbits the other week but despite asking around, couldn't find a suitable coating to make the floor water resistant - and if you keep buns you'll know just how much they wee!!

I didn't want the eternal problem of a damp floor that never gets to dry out especially in winter.

So. After a few days going mad thinking about this, I suddenly had an idea. I went to our discount flooring place and found a small offcut that was pretty much the same size as the floor of the hutch, but actually twice as wide - which means I have a spare piece as well. I laid the hutch floor on top of the vinyl and cut it with stanley knife, then glued it down (ok I used spray glue as it is very strong, but waited till smell had evaporated before adding rabbits!)

Then put the hutch together, I did have to make a few small cuts at the edges to accommodate the corner joints etc, but it wasn't hard - and it's amazing, we have a totally waterproof floor that is wipe clean in a few seconds. It's also acoustic vinyl (not bad for a fiver!) and therefore very thick and cushiony for them to hop about on.

I'm really chuffed about it. I also got a tray for them which I use cat pellets in - wooden ones - and this absorbs a lot of the wee, meaning it only needs emptying every couple of days (if they are in hutch, not out in run - less if out and about of course)

I don't know if it would work on every hutch but definitely does on ours.

smile

Flightattendant Thu 05-Nov-09 06:54:49

Btw I know some commercial hutches have that black coating, but the one I wanted didn't - so had to get creative!!

CybCybCybCybCybil Thu 05-Nov-09 07:20:31

we have cat litter tray for our rabbit too. She doesn't seem to make the rest of the hutch wet though. Doesn't your rabbit pee in the same corner each time?

Flightattendant Thu 05-Nov-09 07:25:18

Well we have three Cybil! So, yes they did used to pee in the same corner all the time but it was such a generous quantity that it would drip down underneath and soak the floor in that area.
I was cleaning it out every day and still it just stayed saturated (yuk)

I didn't want to wreck the hutch and also didn't want it to be smelly as the wood just absorbed the wee...also made it a bit chilly I think and in late winter would probably freeze!

With one rabbit you are probably within manageable territory but three...they are only a small breed but blimey, the stuff they consume, I am glad of my healthy eating vouchers grin and they do have a great output as well.

Flightattendant Thu 05-Nov-09 07:27:21

Ah if you have tray as well...I see what you mean. But ours had the tray before and still managed to wee up the side of the hutch and over the edges.

I guess I was being a bit OCD about it. But it's so easy to clean anyway, now, it doesn't matter if it gets rain on it through the front or something...

CybCybCybCybCybil Thu 05-Nov-09 07:33:12

we are also mean and bung ours out in the run (under a cover) in most weathers so less poop to clear up in the hutch. it's def worse in the winter when they are in the hutch more.

Flightattendant Thu 05-Nov-09 07:42:25

Lol. I hate our current run, can't get them out once in, so am just waiting for the grass to grow in the enclosure so they can start running loose. I have some more wire to sink as well, oh the joy grin but they will hopefully be out most weathers after it's finished!

CybCybCybCybCybil Thu 05-Nov-09 08:00:55

We've just let ours run around indoors again (I know you couldn't do that with 3). She loves it and settles down on the armchair for a stretch out. Such a poncey rabbit

southeastastra Thu 05-Nov-09 08:22:38

i put perspex then vinyl offcut down, the wee can get under the vinyl though so check it weekly.

my rabbit is outside in her run she only goes inside in heavy rain. i wish someone would design a great affordable large rabbit hutch out of something other than wood though. that was a bit more durable.

Flightattendant Thu 05-Nov-09 09:46:59

Oh Cyb I grew up with rabbits in the house, garden, everywhere...you name it. It was like Wallace and Gromit grin

i am envy of you and your rabbit. Not so much our quantity of buns as children that prevents it here. And general mess...we would lose them!

had a hamster killed once when book fell on him, nuff said...

SEA I know what you mean. We just got a forsham hutch and even though it is meant to be super strong, it's still wood. They can't gnaw it due to the design which is a bonus, have you considered a rabbit eglu?

BeehiveBaby Thu 05-Nov-09 16:33:45

I did find a website that made them out of a dark green plastic / composite material but they were tiny. Perhaps, if there was demand though? I am always designing hutchs in my head blush

BeehiveBaby Thu 05-Nov-09 16:34:15

Sorry! Brill idea OP smile

BeehiveBaby Thu 05-Nov-09 16:36:14

Just found this:

www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/products/shelters-rabbit-hutch.asp

and this:

www.petspantry.tv/acatalog/plastic-rabbit-hutch.html

Flightattendant Fri 06-Nov-09 08:00:02

That Solway one is fab!!! If I hadn't spent what I did on the Forsham one I'd be seriously tempted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now