Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Newborn awake for 3 hours

(10 Posts)
sparkle17 Fri 23-Feb-18 20:57:04

Everything I have been reading about baby sleep is that a newborn should be awake for around 45-1hr 30 max. My twins have really alert and long awake times. I try to put them down for a sleep but they just lie there awake. This evening one of them has been awake for 3 hours. He is now needing fed again and has not been asleep yet. He is not necessarily unhappy. What is going on here. My older daughter had very short/more normal awake times. For info my twins are 6 weeks old.

zebrapig Fri 23-Feb-18 21:08:41

My lb is 9 weeks (2.5 adjusted as he was prem). In reality he sits somewhere between the two so not dissimilar to your twins. Since Friday I've noticed he's started to 'wake up'. He can have much longer awake periods now, maybe 1-2 hours. One evening he was awake from 5-11pm with a couple of 20min cat naps. What's right for one baby isn't necessarily right for another so if they're happy I wouldn't worry too much.

RefuseTheLies Fri 23-Feb-18 21:13:26

I took my daughter for a newborn photo shoot when she was 10 days old.

Photographer told me to feed her and then we’d wait for her to fall asleep so that she could start the session and get some posed photographs.

My daughter stayed awake for 4 hours straight.

Clearly she thought her parents had shit taste in photography and was determined to have no part in it all grin

arbrighton Fri 23-Feb-18 21:30:20

At 6 weeks, many babies don't sleep unless held
I'd guess this would especially be the case for twins who really aren't used to being alone

Baubletrouble43 Fri 23-Feb-18 21:32:07

Yep. I have twins. One of them has an absolute gift for staying awake for unbelievably long stretches. At least 5 hours as a tiny baby. Unreal.

Marcine Fri 23-Feb-18 21:33:53

How do you get them to sleep? Most babies can't fall asleep without help - I would use a dummy/swing/pram etc to sleep after 45 minutes.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sat 24-Feb-18 02:52:21

My DD was awake for 8hours one day within her first week, told my HV thinking this wasn’t what I was sold, she just laughed and said “yes some are like that”. Soon grasped babies are people and each individual....still think I would have preferred one that sleeps.

Pennywhistle Sat 24-Feb-18 03:12:46

Babies unfortunately haven’t read the books. grin They all follow their own schedules.

My DD was mostly awake all night and my DS awake all day. I was like a zombie for the first 6 months.

It does get better though, and twins are awesome.

Baubletrouble43 Sat 24-Feb-18 21:34:25

Yes sparkle you have so much fun to come. Mine are 15 months now and quite the comedy double act. It is awesome x

rubyroot Sun 25-Feb-18 20:45:18

My baby was awake longer than this at 10 days old. I think each baby is different

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: