Talk

Advanced search

toys r us or Argos scooter for 2 yr old?

(26 Posts)
inconceivableme Sun 09-Nov-14 09:19:26

Want to buy a scooter for DS who's 2. Both are two wheels at front and one at rear type.

Looking at either the tilt and turn scooter at Argos which folds but has no brake (on offer at £17) or the Toys R Us Avigo twist which has a brake but doesn't fold (half price currently at £29.99).

Both steer by tilting and have lots of good reviews.

I think having a folding option could be handy - for the inevitable carrying - but also wondering how much a little one would use a brake? Also I've seen the carry straps you can buy for any scooter.

Does anyone have either of these scooters please?

We've ruled out a mini micro for now as we want to see how he gets on with a cheaper scooter initially.

MissWimpyDimple Sun 09-Nov-14 09:27:11

Definitely brake. Might not use it straight away but it's vital!

A mini micro would be the best investment though. It will be your child's constant companion for the next 3-4 years

inconceivableme Sun 09-Nov-14 09:39:43

MissWimpy - thanks for the brake info. With mini micro, another thing I'd read was that a mini only lasts a couple of years and then they need a maxi anyway. Is that wrong then?

bearwithspecs Sun 09-Nov-14 09:59:51

Get a mini micro at 2 and it will defo last 2 years, prob 3 maybe 4. My DC reception class are on a mixture of mini micros and the bigger ones. My 4.5 year old is on the 2 wheel one now, but only a few are

inconceivableme Sun 09-Nov-14 10:05:29

Aaaaagh!! My natural tendency to shun brands is struggling with this. Everyone says ' get a mini micro ' but without using and comparing them with a cheaper one I can't judge what's so different about them and that justifies the extra cost. Anyone?! Is it just a brand or are they lighter, easier to use, more durable or something else?

loudarts Sun 09-Nov-14 10:07:26

My dcs have had scooters for years and have never used the brake. They just put their foot on the floor to stop themselves.

QTPie Sun 09-Nov-14 10:37:16

Micro scooter - fantastic.

Encourage use of break - otherwise is expensive on shoes (DS went through a few pairs).

DS is almost 5 and still using his micro scooter. Will get him a maxi scooter, but not yet (just bought him a peddle bike and will concentrate on that for a while).

BertieBotts Sun 09-Nov-14 10:38:21

Folding. The brakes don't work anyway.

Having said that I bought DS a £10 argos one when he was nearly 4, two wheel, it's been going strong 2 years+ with no issues.

tassisssss Sun 09-Nov-14 10:39:50

Ours used mini micros from age 2 (dd2) and 3 (dd1) until about 6. They are WAY better than the cheaper equivalents and worth every penny IMO.

They are light, they are fast, they are quiet. The brake is key (but then I live at the top of a hill!)

tywysogesgymraeg Sun 09-Nov-14 10:43:03

I am on a one woman boycott of Argos. Three times in the last few years I have bought things there which have turned out to have been used and returned and resold.
One was a kitchen bin. Bought as a Christmas present for me by DH (wanted/expected - don't panic!), and which was filthy when opened. We took it back on Boxing Day (several mile journey).
Store manager said "how do I know you haven't used it?"

GreenSpaghetti Sun 09-Nov-14 10:48:19

I bought a cheaper scooter for the my 3yo. 2 wheels at front, 1 at back, a brake that kind of works. Decided to try her out on this before investing in a mini micro. I think the mini micros just feel more sturdy, a bit heavier perhaps. I think we'll just stick with the cheaper one till it dies and then see where we are. We too are at the top of a hill, I use a dog lead for my DD so I can pull her up and steady her on the way down

GreenSpaghetti Sun 09-Nov-14 10:55:55

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CEWUVPG/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1415530315&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

this is the one we have, really pleased with it, goes just as fast as micro ones! Handle bar comes off easily for transporting

CalamitouslyWrong Sun 09-Nov-14 10:58:38

I'd buy a micro mini too. DS2 still uses his in Y1 and that's what most of the other scooter riders in his class have. He doesn't need a bigger scooter yet. He's got a bike, so I'll probably encourage him to ride that when he's too big for his scooter (could be another year of use).

The quietness is a really big advantage. The cheaper scooters are really, really noisy and that will drive you mad. The design of the from wheels has some give which means they deal with bumps a bit better than the cheap one.

There's a reason why must of the small people you see on scooters are riding micro minis, despite the cost.

bearwithspecs Sun 09-Nov-14 12:09:29

Forgot about the noise - hugely better with the micro

MiaowTheCat Sun 09-Nov-14 18:23:13

DD1 isn't getting on at all with the tilt to steer scooters... tried her older cousin's bog standard two wheeler one the other day and is flying on that instead!

We have a toys r us one for DD2 - one with the removable seat (Y rider I think it is) and it's been fab.

hiccupgirl Sun 09-Nov-14 21:42:21

Def worth the money for the micro scooters.

We were lucky and DS inherited his cousin's mini micro scooter just before he turned 3. He uses it to scoot to school and back 5 days a week. It probably would do another yr size wise but it's 5 yrs old now and the suspension is starting to bow a bit. So he's getting the maxi one for his 5th birthday in December.

Allegrogirl Mon 10-Nov-14 09:22:46

I'm not a brand person but Mini Micro worth every penny. My very tall DD2 had hers until the age of 5 and her sister has had it for two years. I needed to replace a wheel and brake but it still looks really good.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Mon 10-Nov-14 09:25:10

My tall nearly 5yo is still using a mini micro comfortably. I think we might replace it for her birthday.

dannydyerismydad Mon 10-Nov-14 09:28:42

Several of DS's friends had cheaper alternatives. They have all moved onto mini micros as the cheaper ones just aren't as good. I'd save the bother and go straight for the mini micro.

CalamitouslyWrong Mon 10-Nov-14 16:25:18

Also, Argos and toysrus as both huge brands. buying one from then rather than a micro mini scooter is hardly an anti-capitalist statement.

minipie Mon 10-Nov-14 17:14:49

What about a second hand mini micro scooter? Not sure where you are based but near me there are loads for sale for �20 ish. Some barely used. Much better build quality than the cheaper ones and likely to last longer even second hand.

We looked at reviews and so many say "I bought a cheaper one first and wish I'd gone straight for the mini micro" or words to that effect.

ireallydontlikemonday Tue 11-Nov-14 13:25:50

Mini micro, it really is the beast. We bought cheaoer ones from Argos and then DTs had a go on their cousin's mini micro and were flying around on it wihtin a coupple of minutes so we ended buying them too.

Nothing to do with the brand, they are just brilliant.

Iggly Tue 11-Nov-14 20:51:31

I got ds a mini micro scooter when he was 20 mins. Still going strong now he's 5.

I got dd a cheap one. £20 job. It was shit and we caved as dd complained about it being slower than ds's and got a second hand mini micro. I wish I'd not wasted money on the first cheap one!!

Iggly Tue 11-Nov-14 20:51:59

*20 months not mins blush

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Tue 11-Nov-14 21:26:14

Another mini micro vote. I did a lot of research and asking people and it was a resounding get the mini micro. My dc2 got one at 20 months and took to it straight away

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now