Talk

Advanced search

Transition from Bugaboo pram to the buggy - what age?

(14 Posts)
Snarfle Sun 10-Jul-11 22:20:59

I have a Bugaboo Chameleon and my ds is 20 weeks. He is currently in the bugaboo pram but I think it frustrates him as he can't see around. I am thinking about making the transition to the Bugaboo buggy but the Bugaboo guidelines are a bit vague.

They say that once child can sit unaided and can climb that you should no longer use the pram and that the buggy should not be used until your child is 6 months old. Does this mean that at 6 months they can go in the buggie regardless of whether they can sit unaided?

Thanks for your help smile

Primafacie Sun 10-Jul-11 22:59:51

I sat my DD in the buggy from about 4 months as she was screaming blue murder in the pram. I wouldn't worry about the guidelines, if your son is bored because he can't look around then I would switch to the seat.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 10-Jul-11 23:43:10

I too switched to a buggy when my daughter was 4 months, although I did not have a Bugaboo. Most of my friends have them though and their babies were out of carrycots around the same time.

rocksox Mon 11-Jul-11 11:11:41

Another one here that switched to the buggy at about 6 months. DD hated being in the pram at that stage - she hated lying flat on her back and also wanted to see what was going on. I kept the buggy facing me and reclined for quite a few months after that.

Roo83 Mon 11-Jul-11 20:49:08

Ds was big for his age, and he hated the pram, I put him in the buggy at about 4months, it was 6 months for dd though. Tbh it reclines right back anyway if needed, as long as they're strapped in I don't think it's a problem to do it before 6 months

wearymum200 Mon 11-Jul-11 22:13:41

Both my DC were little , esp DS1. Moved him at just under 5m as he was screaming to be able to see (but didn't sit the buggy right up until >6mo), DD2 might have lasted a bit longer as she had DS1 on the buggy board to gaze at, but pretty sure we moved her before 6mo too. No obvious ill effects!

DialsMavis Mon 11-Jul-11 22:30:08

DD moved around 4 months, they can jay with their backs totally flat anyway.

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Mon 11-Jul-11 22:34:07

I moved ds2 at about 4 months he was the same no longer happy lying back in the carrycot not being able to see.
The only thing I have found is that I did need to use the bottom of the cosytoes as a liner for the pram iterwise the straps at the shoulder were far too high up and came from above his head, he is a chunky 1 year old now and that still annoys me.
I never sat it right up for ages he was happy with it in the semi recline position he could see around him fine and much happier.

LoonyRationalist Mon 11-Jul-11 22:41:07

I hate the fact that you can't easily move backwards & forwards between the 2 on the bugaboo. DD1 I moved at 5 1/2 months. I really felt it was too early but like most other babies she wanted to see what was going on.

DD2 I propped up in the pram ( towel under mattress & used a harness. She stayed in the pram until 7 months. At the end she would sit up (balancing herself) quite happily surveying the world around her. (there are harness rings attached to the board under the mattress btw)

yetama Mon 11-Jul-11 22:57:43

I think you have to do it when the child is ready and asking to be in a different position. DD went into the buggy at 4 months old, she wouldn't fit in the pram and anyway she was always to aware of everything that was going on that it was even better for her.

Your child will let you know when things need to change. Just trust him/her and listen/observe

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Mon 11-Jul-11 23:12:12

I agree Loony, the pram I had for DS1 had seperate carrycot and seat unit and I did occasionally switch between the 2 when he was still small.

swash Mon 11-Jul-11 23:18:47

I kept dd1 in the pram until she was 6 months - she was hauling herself up by the sides poor thing. I would do it when she is clearly fed up of lying down. Likewise moving the buggy from facing-you to facing-forwards - I waiting until dd was peering around. Was much more relaxed with dd2!

fiorentina Wed 13-Jul-11 10:21:16

I've just moved my son at just over 15 weeks, as he is just too long for the pram and was getting very frustrated by that and not being able to see much. He is fairly laid back in the pushchair bit. I'd have probably liked him to be in the pram for longer, but he really was uncomfortable and unhappy.

beanlet Wed 13-Jul-11 10:24:05

About 4 months here too because DS really wanted to look out at the world. It was fine with the lowest tilt. We've recently switched to face outwards too now that he's 1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now