harman Sat 23-Aug-08 22:52:01

Message withdrawn

gok Sat 23-Aug-08 22:53:06

Wear a jumper

Beauregard Sat 23-Aug-08 22:55:02

Sleeping bags
Fleecy throws

AvenaLife Sat 23-Aug-08 22:55:07

I was going to get an electric heater that looked like a lod burner if you know what I mean. Electricity is cheaper than gas so I'd be saving money by not using the central heating.

Have you insulated your loft, made draft excluders (sp?)?

nancy75 Sat 23-Aug-08 22:56:19

i dont know anything about heating oil, but i know that electric heaters are very expensive to run and may end up costing you much more than the oil?

ranting Sat 23-Aug-08 22:56:20

Well I've spent the last few months crocheting throws for the sofa in non itchy wool. Am going to do one for the bed and then hog it.

KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 23:00:25

Buy old blanket and line your curtains, make sure you close your curtains just before dusk & don't open them in rooms you don't use.

Make curtains for the inside of each external door & make sure you use them

Sit in front of the telly with your quilt around you - saving heating the room

DD has a camp blanket which she loves and wears round herself while watching telly

Frizbe Sat 23-Aug-08 23:03:13

Look into getting a central wood burner to heat your house and your hot water, my friend was telling me about the efficency of these the other day (just done his ma in environmental management!) and reckons they're great, apparently you can get summat to go on the chimney to offset the carbon output as well (wanders off to google to check his claims out)

Frizbe Sat 23-Aug-08 23:05:50

www.woodburnerwarehouse.co.uk/installing_a_stove.phtml dunno what the prices are like but the twinwall pipes sound like a good idea, am also looking for another thing he was on about to post on here!

AvenaLife Sat 23-Aug-08 23:06:07

I'm doing a MSc in environmental management smile. They are efficient but the initial cost can be hard to find. It's best to look at where your house is loosing energy first which should keep the cost down.

harman Sat 23-Aug-08 23:06:29

Message withdrawn

Waswondering Sat 23-Aug-08 23:06:50

We have a very warm duvet and I've also got a long sleeve thermal vest thing that's great. Actually, I sleep better in a cold bedroom as long as I'm warm in bed, iyswim!

Our CH wasn't working last winter!

Would love a woodburner but our house isn't geared up for one - friend has one and it is so lovely, and works very efficiently!

Uriel Sat 23-Aug-08 23:07:00

Buy one of those fleecy underblankets for the kids beds (under the sheet they lie on).

Duvet or throw for warmth round you while you watch TV. Kids love it.

MrsTittleMouse Sat 23-Aug-08 23:08:39

I'm a big fan of thermal underwear. It's something that I always thought was a bit "granny"ish, but now I'm a convert. blush
It's also a good idea to have something underneath you in bed - we always think of the warmth that is lost upwards, but not downwards towards the mattress. A sleeping bag makes a good mattress topper under the sheet and is really comfy too.

harman Sat 23-Aug-08 23:08:48

Message withdrawn

MrsTittleMouse Sat 23-Aug-08 23:10:25

Great minds, Uriel.
I would find a way to heat the bathroom as a priority. I can remember as a child being freezing getting out of the bath and taking ages to warm up again in front of the gas fire. It was miserable.

AvenaLife Sat 23-Aug-08 23:11:10

www.warmfront.co.uk Have you looked into things like this?

KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 23:11:25

You will be surprised how much closing the curtains will save you (IF you do it early enough & IF they are thick enough)

My attic is very well insulated, I have a wood burner which heats my water & runs my central heating too - I reckon it costs me about £240 to run over the winter

I pay a fortune for electric because I work from home in my (very large) conservatory which I wish I had never built because I can't insulate it & it needs to be warm angry

catinthehat Sat 23-Aug-08 23:16:05

Wear a dressing gown over your clothes in the evenings, particularly if you are not moving about (eg on computer). And possibly a scarf as well, it is very comforting in winter.

janeite Sat 23-Aug-08 23:16:31

We do have Central heating but our house is Victorian with high ceilings and never seems to get properly warm. The girls like to take hot water bottles to bed with them.

I also second (or third) the suggestion to have a blanket on the bottom of the bed, under the sheet (although dd2 insists on having hers OVER the sheet!).

harman Sat 23-Aug-08 23:17:11

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Sat 23-Aug-08 23:17:50

I'm watching this thread with interest.

My tip is wool.

And lots of it.

And fleece.

AvenaLife Sat 23-Aug-08 23:18:13

I used to live in a house with no heating when I was a child. I'd wear a jumper over my jimjams, bed socks and gloves. Thick curtains help to keep any warmth in.

ranting Sat 23-Aug-08 23:19:50

Oh yes and bed socks, they are the best thing (next to a hot water bottle) for keeping you warm ime.

AvenaLife Sat 23-Aug-08 23:20:40

I have an electric underblanket. It's lovely! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now