Talk

Advanced search

Family friendly pub/restaurant in or around Oxford?

(18 Posts)
Jossa Thu 16-Aug-07 11:47:04

Hi Everyone, Just wanted a bit of advice if you don't mind. I am meeting up with some friends who live down south, and Oxford seems to be half way, so we have decided to meet there.
Can anyone recommend a pub/restaurant that has an indoor play area in or around Oxford (outskirts may be better) hopefully one that is quite nice, so that we can have lunch, and sit and chat for a couple of hours.

Thanks! Julie x
(mum to a 2yr old & a 4yr old)

janinlondon Thu 16-Aug-07 14:43:23

No indoor play area but a fab garden, deck and outdoor playground and v good food at The Fishes in North Hinksey.

Pruners Thu 16-Aug-07 14:57:13

Message withdrawn

UnquietDad Thu 16-Aug-07 14:58:31

Really? We've been to the Trout with children. When ours were about 4 and 1. Sat on the terrace though. In January. Had heaters so it wasn't too bad!

Pruners Thu 16-Aug-07 15:00:06

Message withdrawn

Notquitegrownup Thu 16-Aug-07 15:05:29

Update, update!

The Trout has just changed hands and gone very up market - menu prices have doubled. Not sure what their attitude to kids is now.

And the Perch burned down a couple of months ago

UnquietDad Thu 16-Aug-07 15:07:10

I can't remember if we chose or were made to!
I take it that it's not still underwater then?

Pruners Thu 16-Aug-07 15:20:35

Message withdrawn

Pruners Thu 16-Aug-07 15:21:50

Message withdrawn

PigeonPie Thu 16-Aug-07 19:53:20

DH has just reminded me about the Eagle and Child on St Giles. Great food and now that it's non-smoking much nicer!

However you won't get in there with a double buggy as the doorway's rather narrow.

Otherwise, if you don't want to go into centre of Oxford, the Trigger Pond in Bucknell, just north of Bicester was good when we went there with DS the other day.

BettySpaghetti Thu 16-Aug-07 20:07:50

Have you considered meeting somewhere other than a pub?

Theres a garden centre place on the Oxford to Wantage road, just outside Abingdon (name escapes me but someoe will come on and know where I mean) -it has a restaurant/cafe, out door play area and some animals.

100% more child friendly than most pubs!

twinklylottie Thu 16-Aug-07 20:08:57

that would be Millets Farm Centre I think

BettySpaghetti Thu 16-Aug-07 20:09:21

Ah, I remembered ...its Millets Farm. They've got a Maize Maze too

BettySpaghetti Thu 16-Aug-07 20:10:21

Thanks twinklylottie -I knew that someone would know it

twinklylottie Thu 16-Aug-07 20:12:19

PigeonPie Thu 16-Aug-07 20:16:09

If you go to Millets, it's worth checking before you go. The cafe is adequate, but is rather 'caff-like'; the restaurant was good, but when we went (we'd booked, but it was a year ago) they'd got a wedding in the next day and the restaurant was all laid up for it, but don't know how often they do weddings.

PigeonPie Thu 16-Aug-07 20:17:14

BTW, the Maize Maze was quite good fun - my Sis and I took our DCs there on Monday!

Jossa Thu 16-Aug-07 21:16:37

Thank you all for your messages & advice - much appreciated,

Just looked at the Millets Farm Centre web site - and it looks fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now