Talk

Advanced search

Well my blood pressure shot up at Brewers Fayre today

(23 Posts)
twoisplenty Tue 26-Jun-07 21:29:28

In the Brewers Fayre softplay area, I was told my 3yo dd could play, but my 8yo ds could not (he was sat in his wheelchair - cerebral palsy). I said he could get out of his wheelchair, and I would stay with him, he could move around quite well.

She told me that, seeing as it was quiet, he could play, but if it had been busy, he would not be allowed to stay. This would be for our safety.

I mentioned discrimination, and although I stayed calm, I felt so incredibly angry. In this day and age, my son should have equal rights to enjoy childrens facilities like anyone else. This is SOFT PLAY, I wasnt asking him to join in rock climbing!!

I spoke to the manager, who changed the rules in an instant: We only ADVISE that children with disabilities should not play, we cannot inforce anything, its for safety, he said.

Comments please.

SugaryBits Tue 26-Jun-07 21:32:53

Complain in writing. I complained to Brewers fayre and recieved vouchers in compensation. Its not about the money but it is important an issue like this is brought to the attention of the head office. I E-mailed through their website. The complaint was logged by H/O, then sent onto the restaurant for investigation.

mummytosteven Tue 26-Jun-07 21:34:31

dreadful. complain. and if no joy, write to Disability Rights Commission.

lou33 Tue 26-Jun-07 21:35:52

complain, i would be incensed too, if they stopped ds2 from entering (he has a wc and has cp too)

twoisplenty Tue 26-Jun-07 21:40:40

Feeling a little better already. I was actually ready for comments to be contradictory to mine, you know, children crawling around with a parent in tow could cause congestion and accidents.

It's amazing that the manager changed the ruling instantly from not being able to play when busy, to it being absolutely fine. Of course they cannot put anything in writing to discriminate against disability (in their set of rules you are supposed to read) but they tried quite hard to put my son off from joining in.

twoisplenty Tue 26-Jun-07 21:41:25

sugarybits - what was your complaint against brewers fayre? Sorry, just being nosey!

lou33 Tue 26-Jun-07 21:49:36

i get a bit of a red mist when i come across things like that, i think you sounded v clam

Rachmumoftwo Tue 26-Jun-07 21:50:05

My children do not have disabilities but I would be appalled if a play area we used was so discriminatory, and would complain myself if I witnessed anything like it. Really, complain. They need to learn that kind of attitude is bang out of order. I am feeling pretty incensed myself right now. This kind of thing makes me so cross. If you aren't satisfied with their response (if you get one), do the media thing.

twoisplenty Tue 26-Jun-07 21:57:59

I just felt so shocked at the time, because I was not expecting any problems, and I thought, if they don't let him play, what will I do, he will be in floods of tears. I felt instantly angry. I think its the first time I have ever mentioned the word discrimination, as it get over-used, but I just couldnt believe what problems there could be in soft play that is supposed to be super safe.

As it happens, the place is closing down in 8 weeks and becoming a beefeater restaurant, so complaining will be good for brewers fayre generally, but not this one!

madamez Tue 26-Jun-07 22:02:27

COmplain anyway and hopefully the twunt of an employee will get a slap or at least a 're-educating course' (which will serve as a fair punishment for being so pig-ignorant and thoughtless).

Dinosaur Tue 26-Jun-07 22:03:29

My comments are that that is horrible, discriminatory, completely unjustifiable and that you must complain. I'm so sorry, what a horrible experience for you.

moondog Tue 26-Jun-07 22:03:51

Fuicking outrageous.

Mind you,you are mad to be going to Brewers 'Fayre' at all.It's shit.,

fransmom Tue 26-Jun-07 22:05:58

good grief.

<<fm speechless>>>

twoisplenty Tue 26-Jun-07 22:07:40

Yes yes yes, brewers fayre...never again...food is vile.

Children loved it though!

madamez - lol! Wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of you!!

lou33 Tue 26-Jun-07 22:14:04

yes i hate those kind of places too but it isnt the point

twoisplenty Tue 26-Jun-07 22:14:06

I think we have been lucky so far in that in 8 years, my ds has been treated really kindly by almost everyone, and I haven't had to face any real battles over discrimination. Only a few occasions and again my blood began to boil so to speak.

I shall write to complain and let you know of the result. Hope its not vouchers for brewers fayre, don't ever try the risotto, its like eating savoury rice pudding.

lou33 Tue 26-Jun-07 22:14:34

meant to add, put a ps at the bottom saying "and your food is crap too"

NurseyJo Tue 26-Jun-07 22:17:37

Message withdrawn

NannyL Wed 27-Jun-07 00:15:44

yes you must complain and take this further

how dare they discriminate against your son

SugaryBits Wed 27-Jun-07 16:54:12

Twoisplenty- I complained because the childrens food was served on scorching hot plates. The food was lukewarm at best and was stonecold by the time the plates had cooled down. Then they served my DS a chocolate fondue and the sauce was boiling, he stuck his finger in it and got burned. (Yes I know I should have checked it but really didn't think they would serve a childrens desert so hot!)

This really pales in significance next to your complaint though. You were treated very badly.

NoodleStroodle Wed 27-Jun-07 16:57:11

You must complain to DRC. I seem to remember there being a case sometime ago about another company saying that someone in a wheelchair was a hazard and they got slammed for it and rightly so.

Copy your letter to Brewers Fayre MD & the manager of the branch you were in. Keep it strictly factual and as unemotional as possible. Typed rather than green ink IYSWIM!

NoodleStroodle Wed 27-Jun-07 16:57:47

I would also copy to my local council and even perhaps my local MP too

TwoIfBySea Wed 27-Jun-07 17:38:50

One of dts1's classmates has cerebral palsy (Primary 1) and when they go to the Brewster bears for parties she has never been refused. Maybe because it has been a party but I know her parents take her there also and have never said they had problems.

I would imagine there would be more of a safety issue with some of the hyper kids they have once the fruit shoots they sell have been consumed!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: