Talk

Advanced search

Recurrent miscarriage and conceiving very easily

(6 Posts)
SchnitzelVonCrummsTum Sun 17-Sep-17 21:58:42

I thought that other people might be interested in reading this article about couples who conceive easily but have high rates of pregnancy loss.

academic.oup.com/molehr/article/16/12/886/1019806/The-molecular-basis-of-recurrent-pregnancy-loss

I have had recurrent losses (and also healthy children) and conceive extremely easily. This hypothesis seems to fit us down to a tee.

I thought this graphic was particularly interesting (you may need to click on it to read it). It highlights that in some women with RPL, non-viable embryos may implant when they would usually be discarded as part of the next period in most women. The theory is that the 'window for implantation' is wider in some RPL women, meaning that the natural selection process that usually occurs around embryo quality is faulty.

Image copyright: The molecular basis of recurrent pregnancy loss: impaired natural embryo selection. Mol Hum Reprod. 2010;16(12):886-895. doi:10.1093/molehr/gaq079
© The Author 2010.

ferntwist Mon 18-Sep-17 20:50:11

Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm sure this applies to me too. All information is so useful for understanding this awful situation. Good luck to you and all of us!

BeanDotSprout Fri 22-Sep-17 00:27:29

Thanks for sharing this Schnitzel. I'm exploring this following four consecutive losses so it's good to see others sharing similar research.

SchnitzelVonCrummsTum Fri 22-Sep-17 01:16:06

Bean and Fern, so sorry that you find yourselves in a similar boat but it is good to know that others are thinking along the same lines as me. I'm an academic so when stuff goes wrong I look at the research literature for comfort/ insight. My DH really doesn't get why I do this!

An interesting thing re: super-fertility ... the last author of that paper is Prof Brosens, who works out of the clinic in Coventry with Prof Quenby. They're the people spearheading the uterine natural killer cell research that looks at endometrial receptivity. Anyone with a loss or infertility can get referred to them to have it investigated further ... or you can self-refer there for a smallish fee. I've asked my GP to refer me to them once the hospital finally confirm the loss I'm currently having (it's one of those drawn-out affairs that will not end well i.e. my hormone levels are dropping spectacularly)

I phoned them last week and asked whether they would be happy to see my privately for a biopsy (despite already having kids). They said yes because people's endometrium varies between cycles so sometimes it might behave optimally and other times, not. I thought that was really interesting.

From what I can tell, their protocol for RPL patients seems to be one or more of:
heparin
prednisolone
progesterone
... to optimise the endometrium.

What do you ladies think about this? Have you looked into the Coventry approach / other approaches to super-fertility?

ThePopAndCry Fri 29-Sep-17 01:00:59

I cannot recommend Coventry highly enough. They were extremely kind and encouraging after my four losses and, in part, their advice helped me go on to finally have ds2. Good luck!

SchnitzelVonCrummsTum Sun 01-Oct-17 13:01:43

Congratulations @ThePopAndCry, my current plan is to give it one more shot and then go to Coventry for uNKC testing in the new year if we can't conceive, or if we have another loss.

If you don't mind me asking, what protocol did they put you on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now