Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Recommended recurrent miscarriage clinics?

(19 Posts)
Bluebell1403 Mon 02-May-16 22:31:01

Hi all,

Just what's in the title, really. Currently having fourth miscarriage in a year. It's very early, 5 weeks, but others have been later, though still first trimester. I'm going to ask for a referral to a Recurrent Miscarriage clinic but am a bit stuck as to where to go. I've obviously heard good things about Lesley Regan and Raj Rai, but is it true that they don't invest too much in the immunology side of things? (I have an autoimmune condition so suspect that might be playing a role, though I had some basic tests after my second m/c and they were fine.) I'm based in Lancashire but am willing to travel any distance within the UK, and though I would rather do it on the NHS, if anyone has any private recommendations I'd really appreciate those too!

Lovemylittlebears Mon 02-May-16 22:33:54

Sorry to hear that bluebell . Crgw in Cardiff were excellent for me. We had 3 in a year and now have our little baby boy. Was prescribed various meds but no one knew why I was having the miscarriages. Seemed to work though and he is here. When I was looking around a few spoke highly of Coventry professor quenby and also a couple of the London hospitals. Fingers crossed for you

Duckdeamon Mon 02-May-16 22:35:37

V sorry you're going through this. I attended the mc clinic at st mary's (some years ago now) and found it very good. They look for certain blood conditions, for example. They didn't agree with the "natural killer cells" theory and were happy to discuss why.

Bluebell1403 Mon 02-May-16 23:00:16

Thank you both for responding so quickly, I'm hoping to go to the GP tomorrow and want to feel prepared. Lovemylittlebears, congratulations on your little one, it's lovely to hear of a happy ending! Do you mind me asking what you took? Cardiff is where my parents live so going there could work well in terms of accommodation! Thank you, Duckdeamon, they do seem to be very highly thought of but it's nice to hear a personal testimonial!

Bluebell1403 Mon 02-May-16 23:03:12

Sorry, also Lovemylittlebears, was your referral to CRGW on the NHS? Thank you!

Miloarmadillo1 Mon 02-May-16 23:13:01

I would go in tandem to St Mary's and Coventry. St Mary's AFAIK only accept tertiary referrals ( from a relevant consultant) out of their 'catchment' so you might need to start at a local clinic and then ask to be referred on. I had a baby first time on the Coventry protocol for high NK cells following 4 MC and there are many Coventry babies from the RMC threads, even though most of them did not have high NK cells and just had the early progesterone and heparin - can't recommend them highly enough.

Bluebell1403 Mon 02-May-16 23:37:09

Hi Miloarmadillo, thanks so much for your reply! Would we be able to go to both in tandem on the NHS, or are you suggesting getting a referral to one and going private for the other? I'm under a gynae consultant at our local hospital, would they be able to make a tertiary referral or does it have to be from a recurrent miscarriage clinic? Sorry for the ignorant questions!

Bluebell1403 Tue 03-May-16 23:43:09

I saw a consultant at my local EPU today and she tried to push me into going to the RMC at Liverpool Women's Hospital- does anyone have any experience there?

Duckdeamon Wed 04-May-16 07:45:47

You might be more likely to find women with experience of specific hospitals on a fertility forum?

Suggest seeking clear info, perhaps from your GP practice manager or the local clinical commissioning group, on the out of area referral rules for things like this, and what your NHS options actually are. You can then decide which to go for and what (if anything) to pay privately for.

The clinics you're looking at should all be able to provide private price details for info - make sure they include all the fees for healthcare professionals (eg to take blood).

FYI if you do decide to go private, by far the costliest tests are the ones on both you and your DP for any genetic anomalies ("kareotyping?"), and pretty much all mc clinics will do those OK, so best get those done on the NHS to save money!

after a bad experience at the mc clinic at my local large London teaching hospital I personally wanted the most well known one, and there was a massive difference, but I was v lucky to be in London and able to pay.

Miloarmadillo1 Wed 04-May-16 13:12:20

The recurrent miscarriage clinic at Coventry is self-funded NHS treatment ( so costs, but non-profit making) and it's a single visit clinic in which they do an ultrasound scan, uterine scratch ( which improves womb lining for several cycles) and uterine biopsy, to look for how the lining decidualises ( prepares for pregnancy) and at uterine NK cell levels. You have to be at least 2 cycles post miscarriage and def not pregnant, and you go 7-10 days post ov. They follow up with a phone conversation about a month later and advise you on treatment. It costs about £300.
I had blood tests, a scan, karyotyping of me and DH and genetic testing of my 4th loss done at my local RMC clinic. There's a pretty standard NHS protocol. St Mary's do some additional blood tests and more treatment of the type of womb abnormalities that might be found on hysteroscopy, but none of the autoimmune stuff. There are several doctors in London doing blood NK levels and all sorts of immune modulating treatments but they are £££. If you want to know more there are long running 'pred threads' on the fertility boards where there are patients of the London doctors. We decided Coventry was as far as we were prepared to go (financially and in terms of treatments) and luckily it worked for us.

Miloarmadillo1 Wed 04-May-16 13:15:03

recurrent miscarriage/implantation clinic info
It's now £360.

Miloarmadillo1 Wed 04-May-16 13:18:49

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/2533463-Immune-natural-killer-cell-treatment-when-ttc-or-pregnant-aka-the-18th-pred-thread

Bluebell1403 Thu 05-May-16 01:12:02

Duckdeamon, thanks so much for all the advice, it really is much appreciated!!

Milo, thank you, I was getting a bit confused about Coventry. Can I just ask, do you have to pay for any treatment they recommend, too, or is it just the tests and consultation that cost? I'm off to explore that thread now, thank you!

Miloarmadillo1 Thu 05-May-16 22:46:31

My GP prescribed the treatment based on consultant's letter from Coventry. I don't think it would be mega expensive if you had to get a private prescription.

Bluebell1403 Fri 06-May-16 01:44:13

Oh that's good, thanks so much!

Dixxie Mon 09-May-16 08:57:24

Hello, please may I ask a question about recurrent miscarriage? I'm a very healthy 43, just having my second miscarriage and I want to have tests etc.. The doctor says you need 3 to be referred. Does the Coventry clinic do all the relevant tests for recurrent miscarriage? Can you pay to see them or could I try to persuade my doctor to refer me even though I only had 2 mc's?

Dixxie Tue 17-May-16 09:47:09

Ladies, I've just started a new thread, TTC Self Help book club, to discuss the two books that many Mumsnetters have recommended, that offer advice on how to prevent miscarriage and have a successful pregnancy (It Starts with the Egg and Is your Body Baby-Friendly). Hey some of us may still have to throw money at private clinics at some stage, but there's lots we can do to help ourselves... Do join and share, let's support each other!

Giraffemama1 Tue 05-Jul-16 08:13:46

I am currently having my 3rd miscarriage, all were lost before 7 weeks.
We have a 3yr old daughter.
I have doctor appointment this morning to insist I am now investigated.
What tests should I be asking for etc
I know referral takes a while and I want to try straight away as I'm 42.
I hav orders 75mg of aspirin but can't buy prostegerone supplements without a prescription.
Any advice would be appreciated

Shiva83 Sun 27-Aug-17 08:03:11

Sorry I know this is an old thread but can you tell me where you ended up going? I'm also Lancashire based and going through m/c 4 big thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now