Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Extra Long Period

(6 Posts)
HPFA Wed 11-Jan-17 12:06:45

Period has now lasted about 2 and a 1/2 weeks, although only really spotting for the last 1 and a half. Anyone else. had this? Don't know whether I need a GP appointment, as will probably just be told it's my age (50).

Any advice welcome

CL43 Fri 27-Jan-17 10:43:23

I had this too (over Christmas, what a joy). Finally went to the GP who gave me a course of tablets (Norethisterine) to stop it. It worked within a couple of days. I suspect it is age related (I'm 48) but I have been referred for ultrasound to be sure.

PollyPerky Fri 27-Jan-17 13:23:40

If the bleeding bothers you, then yes see GP and they can prescribe Norethisterone (it's the same drug as in the mini pill) but if not, carry on.
It IS your age; is due to low progesterone caused by no ovulation even when we still have periods.

BG2015 Fri 27-Jan-17 17:26:38

I've got a very long history of long and erratic bleeding. I've had 2 coils over the past 6/7 years that have kept things stable but my coil stopped working last May when I started bleeding heavily.

I had a scan and they found fibroids. The bleeding continued, sometimes heavy, clots, sometimes nothing for a day and then bam it was back. Northisterone was the only thing that gave me any relief.

I had an endometrial ablation in September which hasn't worked. I've been bleeding for 16 days now during January. I'm seeing my GP on Wednesday as I'm just sick of it - it's relentless.

I'm 48 next month and have no other symptoms of menopause.

Hidingtonothing Fri 27-Jan-17 17:39:58

I'm 42 and had exactly the same happen on my last period. I posted on here about it and posters suggested peri menopause symptoms, fibroids and polyps as possible explanations. I have no other symptoms of fibroids or polyps and, having spoken to my DM she experienced the same thing at a similar age so I'm putting it down to the beginnings of menopausal changes. It's only happened once so far so I've decided I'll wait and see what happens with my next couple of periods and see the GP if it continues. HTH flowers

HPFA Fri 27-Jan-17 17:47:02

Thanks everyone for these replies - glad to know I'm not alone. Has finally stopped now so I guess I'll wait to see what happens on the next one. The one good thing was it was only very light spotting after the first week so didn't have any concerns about anaemia etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now