Talk

Advanced search

has anyone come off income support to go back to work, but then gone back onto IS at a later date?

(11 Posts)
juicychops Sun 06-Sep-09 11:10:25

what were your reasons?

im only asking as this is what i am intending on doing (see other thread about council ruining my life)

did it make you feel horrible? did it work out ok in the end and did it work out the best thing for you?

twigsblankets Sun 06-Sep-09 12:15:55

I came off income support to go back to work part time. My DD was 1yr old.

I was told that tax credits would cover my childcare up to so much percentage cant remember exactly what the percentage was sorry and that I wouldn't lose out because HB would increase if I had childcare, therefore I would effectively not be paying for childcare hmm

Not sure the way I have written that makes sense.

Anyhow, the jobcentre never take travelling arrangements to and from work into their calculations, and I was driving 10 miles in one direction from my house to drop off my DD, then 30 miles in the other direction to get to work, driving practically right past my house on way back.

So I ended up doing 80 miles a day, 5 days a week. I only have a small engined car, but this was costing me at least £60 a week in fuel alone. I was told by jobcentre I'd be £52 quid a week better off, but after paying for fuel, I was worse off than benefits.

I just rang up and reclaimed. It was simple as. I've never felt horrible about it, I'm just going to look for another job closer to my CM.

Worked out fine for me. I would love a job, but tbh, I found I couldn't afford to work at the job I had.

I've read your other thread, and I don't think I would risk not being able to afford my rent just so I could go to work. (I might be reading it wrong, sorry blush.) What about a job during term time (I know they are as rare as rocking horse doo doo, but just a thought)

bigchris Sun 06-Sep-09 12:19:35

can you claim is if you just quit your job though?
and do you have to keep looking?

twigsblankets Sun 06-Sep-09 12:19:42

I was in the position where I was better off on IS, which is a staggering concept to me. shock

Would you actually be better off like me, when you lose your WTC/wages but get full HB/CTB/IS or just slightly worse off?

How much do you love your job?

What do you think you might regret if you resign?

twigsblankets Sun 06-Sep-09 12:23:08

bigchris

If you quit your job, and you go on IS, you don't even need to give a reason as to why you have quit your job, and you can claim straightaway. You do not have to look for a job while you are claiming income support either.

It is only when you are on JSA that you need to explain why you have resigned and may suffer a delay in getting JSA if you have resigned, and have to look for work.

expatinscotland Sun 06-Sep-09 12:29:41

it also depends on how old your child is.

the rules have changed and if they're over a certain age they make you go on JSA.

juicychops Sun 06-Sep-09 14:07:59

my ds is 4 and starting school next week. is he young enough for me to be on income support?

i may have to give up my car if im strugglign for money on benefits but needs must. i do not enjoy my job at all so would not miss it, although would miss working in general.

my plan would be to study full time to cut it down from 3 more years to 1 1/2 -2 years so wouldn't be sitting around doin nothing.

i will really struggle for money i think but not that much more than i am now paying 2/3rds of my rent and all council tax so at least the stress will be off in that respect.

so all i have to do when i leave my job is ring them up and do a new application?? and il get money straight away and its as easy as that?

twigsblankets Sun 06-Sep-09 16:14:38

Yes juicychops. Your son is young enough for you to claim IS instead of JSA. grin

HTH

thesilverlining Fri 11-Sep-09 22:02:57

as others have said - I haqve done it - my reason? It was just too much tbh. As long as your child is under 7 you can go onto IS no worries as you are "exempt from work". I simply told the lone parent advisor that I was finding work too much and that I was exercising my right to be "exempt from work". The end.

They were fine with it - funnily enough I'm about to come off it again because now I am stronger and ready to wokr - but only pt and its my dream job and great career move so the fact I am only £36 better off after fuel and CC is fine with me just now as its the future I am looking forward to now.

Take the time if you need it - thats what its there for. If you don't then thats fine too - whatever works for you as if you are happy DCs will be happy too

thesilverlining Fri 11-Sep-09 22:07:45

oh btw - it took 4 weeks for me to get IS sorted and a further 2 weeks for money to hit my account....and they stop WTC immediately so if you can try and have a few quid in the bank to cover this drought

Tinkerbel6 Sat 12-Sep-09 15:48:41

WTC now pay a 4 week run on, but you cant claim IS until that finishes, although you can put a claim in during that time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now