Talk

Advanced search

Maybe going London for half term - what's on?

(22 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

EdithWeston Thu 19-Jan-17 20:24:02

Ex-Londoner here.

I'm toying with the idea bringing DD to London for a while during half term. We've seen a lot of the permanent museums/galleries, so I was just wondering what special events might be on.

Happy to ping around on public transport. I was vaguely thinking of zones 1-2, but would go further. Especially for lesser known gems.

NuffSaidSam Fri 20-Jan-17 13:42:37

The Southbank has their Imagine Children's festival on over half term. Loads and loads of stuff on, some free, some you need tickets for. Have a look on their website.

EdithWeston Fri 20-Jan-17 14:35:27

Thanks!

For anyone else who might be interested, this is the website

It says 'up to 12', do you if that includes 12 yos? I'm guessing it doesn't

EdithWeston Sun 22-Jan-17 09:45:07

A little Sunday morning bump, for the weekend MNers

Smallinthesmoke Sun 22-Jan-17 20:18:31

Y y to Imagine Festival. It has things for all ages.

Wildlife Photographer of the year award is on at NHM. Do buy tickets in advance- I think you can then use them to jump the queue into the museum. (Not totally sure, best to check).

Lucycat Sun 22-Jan-17 20:26:59

That's not our half term week 😔

Smallinthesmoke Sun 22-Jan-17 20:37:25

I'm hearing good things about this Magical Lantern Festival
www.magicallantern.uk/

EdithWeston Tue 24-Jan-17 18:13:54

They look brilliant!

Chiswick House Gardens is where they hold the camellia festival, isn't it?

AmyGMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 25-Jan-17 11:57:14

Morning!

Our Local sites do list half term events and activities if you wanted to have a browse - here's the list of sites if you wanted to take a look! local.mumsnet.com/find-a-local-site.

Hope you have a fantastic time flowers

EdithWeston Wed 25-Jan-17 12:00:19

I can go anywhere in (reasonably central), which is why I posted here rather than fossick around in a dozen or so separate boards!

EdithWeston Wed 25-Jan-17 12:03:11

And it's (rather belatedly) occurred to me to check Time Out Kids (which I did as a link in case anyone else is looking for ideas in more than one borough)

dinkystinky Wed 25-Jan-17 12:03:36

Globe theatre holding Shakespeares telling tales - various work shops and shows for kids between 5 and 14 - worth checking out.

Imagine festival at Southbank v close too.

If you haven't been yet, Wonderlab in the Science Museum is fab - buy an annual membership and go early or late in the day.

Team lab at the Pace Gallery is on during the day (Between 11 and 4) - light installation and other art, all v interactive and free to view but must book - Magic Lantern festival only on at nights (from 5 onwards, buy tickets, most early slots sold out)

Timeout website and app will have loads of great suggestions

EdithWeston Wed 01-Feb-17 10:38:08

Thanks!

I'd never even heard of the Pace Gallery

hillbilly Wed 01-Feb-17 10:43:07

Romeo and Juliet for 8-12 yr olds at national theatre Southbank.

Westfacing Fri 10-Feb-17 16:46:08

Something I learned from MN a while back - kids are free at The Shard during half-term. Adults pay and you have to book - my grandchildren loved it.

tissuesosoft Fri 10-Feb-17 16:49:57

This is in Chiswick and I really recommend it! 20% off discount code in the pic

Davros Mon 13-Feb-17 11:22:52

Might be a bit late but we are planning on going to the Star Wars Identities show at the O2
http://m.starwarsidentities.com/
Sorry, don't know how to do links on my phone.
This would include a trip to the southbank, get boat to the O2 and eat somewhere along the way. A great outing imo

GlacindaTheTroll Tue 14-Feb-17 15:40:57

The link worked, and the event looks great!

(assumes everyone is indeed that in to Star Wars)

Davros Tue 14-Feb-17 16:27:23

The phone did the link for me blush
We are going on Thursday. DD is a big Star Wars fan and the whole outing will work for me and DH too

SquirmOfEels Tue 14-Feb-17 16:35:53

I chanced on this article today

londonist.com/london/art-and-photography/the-top-exhibitions-to-see-in-london-right-now

and some of the things look pretty good for older DC - the Perspex walk through installation, the sofa, the textiles and the punks all look like good things to see. And the plasticine Kiss Looks like an intriguing hands-on

Anyone been to any of them?

EdithWeston Fri 17-Feb-17 20:24:05

A belated thank you to everyone.

We didn't get to London after all. But some of these suggestions will keep for next time. And perhaps will have been useful to other readers.

Davros Sat 18-Feb-17 19:34:24

We went to the Star Wars Identities exhibition at the O2 and it was excellent. DD is a big fan, and quite critical, and she loved it. I can take or leave SW and I loved it! We had a lovely boat trip there and lunch at Byron. We went to Embankment to get the boat, only to find the pier is shut for refurbishment so had to walk to Westminster. It was a lovely walk and we saw the Battle of Britain monument which is amazing and we wouldn't have otherwise seen. Great day out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now