Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Hedge

(164 Posts)
Lowdown Wed 16-May-18 20:50:58

Our neighbour cut down our hedge while we were out. The hedge is fully on our land. They lifted out their fence panels put a chain saw through the bottom of the hedge leaving stumps and put their fence back up. The hedge was mature and 2 metres in height.

What is the best course of action? I believe in law that they only have the right to trim up to their boundary.

TheClitterati Wed 16-May-18 20:57:17

I've no idea re legalities but WOW that is some cheek. They must have really hated your hedge.

Hope you get some good advice soon.

Lowdown Wed 16-May-18 20:59:41

It has been there over 20 years. Old neighbours were fine. New neighbours moved in last year. They didn't raise any concerns or knock on the door.

RNBrie Wed 16-May-18 21:01:05

I'd probably call 101 and ask for some advice. Surely its criminal damage?!

IWannaSeeHowItEnds Wed 16-May-18 21:02:54

Can you prove it was them? I'd definitely talk to the police.

Lowdown Wed 16-May-18 21:05:29

We came back and saw them both cutting it! They are the only people with the ability to access the hedge.

I did ring the local station but they say it is a civil matter. Does that mean we have to get a solicitor?

Scrowy Wed 16-May-18 21:05:32

I would assume police and criminal damage. Have you any proof it was them though other than just knowing it's them because it's obvious?

If there were any birds nesting in it it could also be an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act.

wormery Wed 16-May-18 21:06:23

I'm no expert but isn't it criminal damage and trespass, I'd call 101 police for advice. Where are the remains of the hedge now and do you know it was definitely them.

Scrowy Wed 16-May-18 21:07:29

X post!

Would the police also say it was a civil matter if they had broken your windows?!

Ridiculous.

Try the RSPB and the nesting birds angle instead then grin

Lowdown Wed 16-May-18 21:08:20

Definitely them. They said they were doing us a favour taking it to the dump! There are only stumps left.

Scrowy Wed 16-May-18 21:10:25

Trespass is a civil matter but criminal damage is err... criminal surely?

wormery Wed 16-May-18 21:12:51

Call citizens advice tomorrow, I would log it with the police again.

Lowdown Wed 16-May-18 21:13:22

They did give it a police log number so I guess that would help with a civil case. Other than that we have not done anything. Too shocked that anyone would do it.

Murane Wed 16-May-18 21:17:40

Do you know why they did it? Seems odd to cut down a hedge which was behind a fence so presumably they couldn't see it anyway?

wormery Wed 16-May-18 21:17:52

So they say they took it to the dump, is that theft . I can't believe anyone would do something so nasty.

Lowdown Wed 16-May-18 21:19:38

Any solicitors on here? How much would it cost to take them to a civil court?

The stories I have read in newspapers seem to escalate and end up costing everyone lots of money. However I do want the hedge reinstated.

Lowdown Wed 16-May-18 21:21:53

Yes. The leaves were loaded in their van.

I wonder if they are property developers and want to make everything look bigger. They also have a very large vehicle which they parked adjacent to the hedge so maybe they wanted it gone. I really don't know.

Aridane Wed 16-May-18 21:25:10

How very odd

SpaSushi Wed 16-May-18 21:37:10

That is outrageous.
I know you said you saw them doing it, but do you have proof? Did you take photos/ videos?

What did you say to them when you came home to this?

Aprilmightbemynewname Wed 16-May-18 21:40:57

Would any insurance policy you have cover any legal costs?

Lowdown Wed 16-May-18 21:45:19

No. I should have taken a photo. Damn. Stupid stupid me.

I told them that they only had a right to cut up to the boundary.

I will have a look at the insurance policy.

TheHobbitMum Wed 16-May-18 21:45:29

Wow! That is some impressively CF neighbours you have shock I'd certainly see a solicitor, maybe your home insurance has legal cover?

Lowdown Wed 16-May-18 21:46:25

I do have a photo of the hedge as it was before being hacked off.

Lowdown Wed 16-May-18 21:54:14

My home insurance says -

Legal Expenses. There is no excess applicable to this section. Cover Limit £50,000.

However there is no detail so it may not cover malicious damage by a neighbour! I'll call the insurer tomorrow.

RandomMess Wed 16-May-18 22:03:48

Just appalled that they did it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: