Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Compliance interview

(18 Posts)
roch1988 Wed 14-Oct-15 09:18:35

Hi just wondering what usually happens at a compliance interview at the job centre?? I have to attend it next week and worrying about it!

wowfudge Wed 14-Oct-15 12:43:38

This could be simply a spot check or because of suspected fraud. Does the letter state the interview is 'under caution'?

Basically the compliance officer will be checking that you are entitled to the benefits you are receiving. Take any evidence with you and gen up on what you are entitled to before you attend in case you are asked to agree to alter the benefits you claim.

roch1988 Wed 14-Oct-15 13:50:18

Its not an interview under caution no x

wowfudge Wed 14-Oct-15 14:29:11

Take anything which is proof of entitlement to whatever benefits you are receiving with you - if they want copies they can take them then and there. Also any correspondence you've had regarding your claim, take them as well.

DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan Wed 14-Oct-15 14:36:08

I had one of these about 3 months ago and like you panicked in the run up to it, afraid of the Unknown!
Honestly it was absolutely fine, they asked me for ID, then he just wanted to double check my circumstances were up to date. He also checked my bank account to make sure I hadn't got any hidden savings so I'd take a recent statement with you. That was it and I was in and out within about 20 mins. Really friendly person who did it. Don't know what prompts them to do these checks but if their is nothing to hide and your details are correct it'll be fine!

roch1988 Thu 15-Oct-15 09:57:07

Agh ok are these normal then?? X

wowfudge Thu 15-Oct-15 12:25:28

Like I stated - they are either spot checks where every, say, 20th current claim of X weeks duration for a specific benefit is looked at (I don't know the figures) or in response to a fraud report or suspicion of a fraudulent claim. I imagine that spot checks are as much to make sure the staff are correctly processing claims as anything.

roch1988 Thu 15-Oct-15 15:21:36

Agh ok im just a bit wiery as i have a daughter who is 6 from previous relationship and met my new partner and we have been in a relationship for 2 years however he has lived at home with his parents...we found out may i was pregnant so decided to take the next step and He moved in 20th sept this year and i reported this myself first week of October as i know u get a month to do this... Only thing is which is strange is the compliance letter was dated on the 1st oct however i reported change of circumstances on the 4th and I actually received the letter on the 7th... So dont know what to make of that really...
I dont know whether the government notify benefits to let them know ur expecting?? Or whether its just a general check as i have been claiming for 4 years and never had a check atall...
also another thing could be that they have checked my bank acc and realised that iv had payments payed to my account from him since may which is due to the fact i lent him moneyi had won at bingo and from a few fruit machines just over £1400 was my lucky night!! I did not pay this into my bank i kept it as cash! I lent it to him as he was taking driving lessons seen a cheap van for sale so lent him the money to buy it... So basically since may he has been paying me bits every week or so into my bank... So whether it could be to do with that im not to sure?!?
I mean if i get called in the interview and its just a routine check they want to see doc such as bank statement etc so i will explain there and then of the situation so that they are aware of what those payments were?!?

YouMakeMyDreams Thu 15-Oct-15 15:31:22

If your Dp has moved in do you still get benefits? If not then you should be able to cancel this interview. I got called for one in a letter dated before I signed off and started work and they told me just to cancel it.

roch1988 Thu 15-Oct-15 15:34:29

Im not to sure as housing benefit are re assessing my claim atm apparently there is amassive back log... We will be entitled to tax credits but housing benefit we probably wont be entitled to it... But wont know yet?

YouMakeMyDreams Thu 15-Oct-15 18:30:26

But you aren't claiming income support anymore? That's what I mean. If you aren't call them and ask if you even need to attend the interview because it is likely only linked to your IS claim.

roch1988 Thu 15-Oct-15 18:43:39

Iv never claimed income support tho???

wowfudge Thu 15-Oct-15 19:14:53

As long as your winnings didn't take your savings to over £6000 then this won't have any bearing on your DWP benefits. Not sure about housing benefit. Sounds like a spot check tbh. It's possible that someone who knows about your pregnancy and winnings has reported you, but it's all what ifs - sounds as though everything is fine. Don't worry yourself about it.

roch1988 Thu 15-Oct-15 20:14:55

Yea no it was about £1,600 which he paid me back from may to sept...
Just think they may not believe my story but i guess thats up to them he doesnt have any post here what so ever hes just about to change the adress over

YouMakeMyDreams Fri 16-Oct-15 11:04:46

Were you working or on benefits before he moved in? Compliance interviews ate usually benefit related like IS and job seekers. They are a review to make sure your situation hasn't changed since the benefit wad awarded. I would phone them and check. If the letter is dated before you notified of a change in circumstances then it may not even be for a live claim anymore.

roch1988 Fri 16-Oct-15 11:42:19

Yea iv always worked part time... All iv ever claimed is tax credits and housing benefit...

roch1988 Tue 20-Oct-15 12:39:45

Hey Iv had the interview just got back! Wasnt too bad really... But yes someone made an allegation against me in april saying my partner was living with me! All the officer asked for was my driving licence as proof of i.d.... He wrote a statement that i claim housing benefit child tax credits etc and dated when my partner moved in which was the 20th sept... I signed it that was it... I didnt ask anything else i just couldn't wait to get out and be free so i dont know whether thats the end of it i hope so tho!

567obe Mon 01-Jan-18 09:14:40

Had compliance interview 3 months ago haven't had any reply back yet what does this mean

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now