Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

compliance interview possible fraud

(38 Posts)
snailz Sat 27-Jul-13 14:52:41

hi ladies just wondering if any of you have recently had a compliance interview? me and my boyfriend live at different addresses, my daughter (not his) is disabled and i am on esa due to my own condition. he is paid to be her carer (carers allowance), he comes to my house to care for her as his place is unsuitable and up a flight of steps. i have been reported for fraud that he lives at my address. im a bit concerned by this interview i must have. its not under caution however i guess im being suspected of the crime sad. he comes over several times a week and sometimes stay over in her bedroom as she requires nightly care, she has dla high rate due to her high care needs during the night.

lesleyberry Sat 27-Jul-13 15:45:38

Oh dear sounds like someone may have reported you for something though try not to worry. My sister also received a recent letter and has to go to jobcentre plus on Tuesday to see a customer compliance officer as there is a query that has arisen concerning her claim for income support and if she does not attend it may affect her benefit. She has to take in my passport, driving licence, utility bills,rent agreement and a bank statement.

lesleyberry Sat 27-Jul-13 15:47:29

her passport even sorry

snailz Sat 27-Jul-13 16:38:26

yes thats the same here sad

RandomMess Sat 27-Jul-13 16:42:16

Just tell the truth, explain that you can understand how it may look like you live together but you don't. All your finances are seperate and he only stays over when he is on duty to look after your dd. Do you have his work rota that you can't take as evidence?

lesleyberry Sat 27-Jul-13 16:43:01

The way I see it if you havent done anything wrong you will be fine. She is very worried something bad is going to happen to her though her friends tell her it could be a routine thing maybe

maja00 Sat 27-Jul-13 16:45:24

Get together as much evidence as possible that you live separately - council tax bills at different addresses, utility bills, tenancy agreements. I take it he isn't named on any bills at your address or you at his?

Also, anything to do with his employment - contract, rota, payslips.

Any evidence relating to your daughter's condition too and her need for overnight care.

snailz Sat 27-Jul-13 18:25:30

hi thanks all, he doesnt work as he claims carers allowance he worked for 12 years prior to this and gave it up to be a carer, the criteria for this is at least 35 hours a week. i have proof of his address etc. he is not on any bills at my address.

Leverette Sat 27-Jul-13 18:40:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nerfmother Sat 27-Jul-13 18:42:23

Are you claiming carers allowance as well? Could that be it? Or he claims other benefits? Not sure; how would anyone know he claims carers allowance? It's not much to live off.

Leverette Sat 27-Jul-13 18:44:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nerfmother Sat 27-Jul-13 18:46:23

If its about this, why is he not being interviewed? Are you sure it's not about ypur claim for ESA?

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 27-Jul-13 18:53:37

I've read this post on another forum. On that one, you mention you are on off partners with a child of your own together too.

Given you both claim full benefits as neither work, have said you are partners and have a child together i think you are unlikely to convince them you arent a couple. Him having a separate address is not enough.

LIZS Sat 27-Jul-13 19:08:48

as your bf/p had a letter too ?

betterthanever Sat 27-Jul-13 23:04:40

I was going to ask if your bf has had a letter too and if he can live off the £60 a week? how does he pay for his house on that? I would really have thought that they would be interviewing him not you. Do you live far apart? have you not worked for a long time? and is that why you don't get the allowance to care for your daughter because you have a condition preventing you from doing this?

snailz Sun 28-Jul-13 11:55:02

hi heres out situation, my daughter is disabled, she is not his daughter. he claims carers allowance to care for her, he has a top up with income support, i think its about £100 in total pw, he gave up his job to be her carer as i have my own illness- M.E. most nights i look after her as she doesnt sleep much, only for 2 hours. he comes over in the day to care for her, thats why he claims carers, this is his job to be a carer for her. he has lived in his flat for at least 12 years maybe longer. sometimes he stays over but not often. the reason why he doesnt live at mine is because we have split several times over the past 3 or 4 years we have been together, in this time i had another relationship. its a pretty messed up situation but we argue so much, having a child which is so demanding with her needs causes a lot of pressure, we can never do things as a couple. we have a support worker and had a social worker who was aware that we lived apart, it was upon their advice that i took on a carer for my daughter as i was getting no sleep and had my own illness, i chose him because she knows him well. regarding the flat he has, he paid rent for 12 years before moving onto housing benefit when he became her carer. i also work part time which is all declared so he needs to look after her while i work too.

snailz Sun 28-Jul-13 11:56:03

no he hasnt had a letter

snailz Sun 28-Jul-13 12:01:41

it would have been easy for me to say he is just her carer and not my boyfriend, they wouldnt know as he would be here caring for her regardless of if we are in a relationship but i dont want to be dishonest and just tell them the facts. what would happen if we were just in a relationship with my baby, would he not be able to come over anyway to see his daughter? how can anyone maintain a relationship without having their boyfriend over? given the fact that we have split up several times i just dont think it would work him living here, when hes here im sleeping after being up all night, most times when he comes here he actually goes out with my disabled child so its not like hes permantly in the house anyway. sorry im trying to be honest with you i know it looks odd but its the best we can do regarding my illness and my daughters care.

lottieandmia Sun 28-Jul-13 12:05:11

These interviews are quite routine - they will want to check he is not living with you most likely. If he lives in a different place where he pays rent and is not financially linked to you then you should be fine I think. It probably looks complicated because he's your dd's carer but these situations must arise. Have you thought of speaking to citizen's advice?

maja00 Sun 28-Jul-13 12:10:03

I think you need to seek advice from CAB or similar.

The fact that he is claiming carer's allowance for a child he doesn't live with and isn't related to might be raising suspicions? Technically it isn't a job is it - he's not employed by you and I guess isn't getting minimum wage. Sounds like it could be complex.

snailz Sun 28-Jul-13 12:10:19

thank you no i havent but im going to go the advice center at my library next week. the problem is, he's her carer, if i didnt have him round to care for her he would be committing benefit fraud claiming an allowance and doing not the care, if he does do the care and comes round to look after her then im committing benefit fraud by having him here its so stupid and makes no sense, what the hell i am i meant to do? how can she possibly have a carer and him not be here to do that?? sad

snailz Sun 28-Jul-13 12:11:54

many people have carers who they aren't related to, its very common, some people hire strangers because they simply dont have anyone available to do that job

maja00 Sun 28-Jul-13 12:13:30

Yes, but if he was hired to do the job he would be employed, you'd be paying him - getting a carers allowance from the state is different.

snailz Sun 28-Jul-13 12:13:45

here is the details on the dwp website:

Carer’s Allowance is £59.75 a week to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs.

You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You need to be aged 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them.

lottieandmia Sun 28-Jul-13 12:16:55

No it's not different Maj because the person who cares for the child is the one who has to claim carer's. You get CA when you can't work because you have a disabled person to look after. It sounds as if the OP cannot fulfill this role because she herself has a disability.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: