Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a fertility MOT at the London Women's Clinic?

(5 Posts)
Tapada Fri 27-Dec-19 18:16:01

Just wondering whether it was helpful / worth the money? I've yet to ovulate after 7 months (although appreciate it's early days) and want some peace of mind that everything is as it should be, or otherwise that I know early on and can consider options...any thoughts would be very welcome!

LauraMipsum Fri 27-Dec-19 18:45:10

Yes, and my personal experience was that I didn't like them. They were very clinical about it (I know that sounds odd, it's a clinical procedure!) but they made my partner stand at the other end of the room and huffed at me when I said I'd rather my partner was next to me. Everything seemed very pushy, they wanted me to agree there and then to procedures it turned out I didn't need.

I ended up having fertility treatment (IUI) in Denmark which also turned out to be marginally cheaper than staying at LWC, even taking into account the flights. We went to Vitanova in Copenhagen.

I can't tell you what's right for you though or whether I saw them on an off day. Good luck!

physicskate Fri 27-Dec-19 20:14:22

Fertility MOTs seem a bit of a con to me.

I suppose it depends on what you want to find out and what you would do with the results.

For example, you already know you aren't ovulating. What other piece of info do you want to know? When you will ovulate? Well, the tests are unlikely to tell you that. Information about your ovarian reserve? Well, the fsh test that helps build that picture should be taken on cycle day 2. If you aren't having periods, they can't do that test. And actually knowing your ovarian reserve only tells you how your body might get respond to ivf drugs. If the tests come back as 'low reserve' it just means you shouldn't wait 5 years to think about kids, which you aren't doing anyway... you're presumably already ttc (or will be as soon as cycles return). Low ovarian reserve doesn't mean you wouldn't get pregnant, but does mean you're likely to respond poorly to ivf drugs.

I'd think very carefully about what the tests actually tell you, if you see what I mean.

Tapada Fri 27-Dec-19 23:19:34

Thanks @LauraMipsum for sharing your experience (and sorry that it was a bit crap) and @physicskate for the points you raise. I suppose I'm worried that the clinic is a bit of a con and that they'll try to on-sell options and treatments that I don't particularly want or need.

In answer to your question, physics, I guess I don't necessarily want to know when I will ovulate, I just want to know if that's a possibility. I'm having periods (albeit very irregular cycles between 28-47 days) but I don't seem to be ovulating. That's based on: (1) cheapie OPKs - done twice a day, every day throughout cycles and not a sniff of medium (let alone a dark) line against the test line; and (2) CB digital tests which give me a rise of oestrogen for about 10 days but never any LH peak.

So we could carry on waiting and ttc naturally until the summer and then go to my GP, but I don't know whether it's worth trying to investigate it further now given I have a fairly good indication I don't ovulate? Or perhaps I should try being a little more and not second guessing my body 😬

physicskate Sat 28-Dec-19 08:10:40

Have you tried tracking bbt? Some women just don't get on with opks. Have you ever been diagnosed with an issue that is known to affect fertility (pcos, thyroid issues etc...)?

You don't ever need to justify your choices to anyone but yourself. Just go into fertility testing with your eyes open.

If anovulation is an issue, you might need treatment, so a clinic, any clinic, would be pushing you in 'the right direction' if it is found over a series of cycles that you don't ovulate...

Generally the fertility mot is so so basic that it doesn't really give you enough info to see what the issue is, but just enough info to be 'dangerous' ifyswi.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »