Talk

Advanced search

How to clean tea-stained mugs? And mildew off rubber seal of washing machine?

(18 Posts)
thereistheball Wed 02-Sep-09 14:16:13

I'm in a rented flat that is very lovely but has a couple of things I'd like to sort out before I can feel properly comfortable in it.

The first is the mugs - they have those horrid tea stains all over the inside, so they never look clean. It is OK to bleach them? I don't have a dishwasher to rinse them in afterwards, so would be worried about my tea tasting of bleach afterwards. I think Lakeland do a kind of rubber for these stains but I'm not going to get there for a while, or do an order.

Also, the washing machine is a French-style top-loading one with a very mildewed rubber seal all round the drum. I had a quick go at bleaching this and was mildly successful, but don't want to damage the rubber. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Habbibu Wed 02-Sep-09 14:17:02

Tea stains - try rubbing ordinary table salt into the stains with a damp cloth.

southeastastra Wed 02-Sep-09 14:17:56

i use wire wool for tea stained mugs

GrimmaTheNome Wed 02-Sep-09 14:18:29

Before I had a dishwasher I used to use bleach in tea mugs and teapot. It should rinse off fine. (just normal bleach, not the thick domestos type).

Itsjustafleshwound Wed 02-Sep-09 14:23:34

I think my mum told me to use cream of tartar or bicarb to remove the tea stains if you understandably don't want to use bleach ...

I know Lakeland usually has a range of relatively eco friendly thins to remove mildew ... perhaps they could recommend a cleaner for your washing machine

PrettyCandles Wed 02-Sep-09 14:23:58

Miltons is very good for cleaning tea-stained mugs, but if you've got a metallic glaze on the rim, don't fill to the top.

The mildew stains are trickier. There are all sorts of washing machine cleaners around, but TBH I don't find them terribly good. You could try running the hottest cycle your machine will allow, with no laundry, but with white vinegar (distilled malt, not white wine) in all the soap/conditioner dispensers. Immediately after the cycle wipe everything down that you can reach while the machine is still wet and warm. An old toothbrush will be useful!

Miltons shouldn't damage the rubber seal, especially as you'll rinse it off immediately, but I don't think it will remove the mildew, just bleach it. Toothpaste and salt are both quite good cleaners - use a toothbrush for both.

CMOTdibbler Wed 02-Sep-09 14:25:05

Mugs - I use sterilising tablet, but denture cleaning tablets work really well too.

Washing machine - Dettol mould and mildew remover spray is the tops for that sort of thing

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 14:25:20

agree on milton or cif brings marks straight off cups

thereistheball Wed 02-Sep-09 14:26:54

Wow, fantastic. Thanks! Now I just have to get on and do it, which is a whole other problem

mathanxiety Wed 02-Sep-09 17:37:25

If they're not your mugs I wouldn't even think of drinking from them until they were bleached, especially if you can't use a dishwasher. Salt will work for the stains, but bleach will kill off anything lurking in the little cracks you can't see. Why not get new mugs???

purplepeony Wed 02-Sep-09 17:40:25

TBH I'd pay a £1 for a new mug- using other people's mugs seems a bit gross.

I bleach using diluted Domestos, or bicarb of soda.

kiwibella Wed 02-Sep-09 18:10:52

soaking with some salt has always worked for me. Are you able to buy some pretty cups to help make it seem more homely?

MrsMagnolia Thu 03-Sep-09 10:59:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EyeballsintheSky Thu 03-Sep-09 11:01:32

I get rid of tea stains with a good scrub. Bleach only bleaches them, it doesn't get rid.

civilfawlty Thu 03-Sep-09 12:03:33

sterilising fluid does the trick

thereistheball Fri 04-Sep-09 09:33:41

I did bleach the mugs and it worked brilliantly. Am much happier about them now.

I would have bought new ones and stored these for the owners but we have moved from a 3 bed house in the UK to a 1 bed flat abroad, so storage is an issue. Already have our stuff stashed in the UK, don't want to have to have a parallel storage unit here, and yet more stuff of our own to move next time!

Now I just need to tackle the mildew again. No Dettol here, will have to use diluted Domestos. And will follow with a hot wash, though the mildew is outside the tub so not sure how much that will help.

Thanks!

mathanxiety Fri 04-Sep-09 16:19:18

Put some bleach on an old toothbrush, or make a paste with ajax (or other scouring powder that has added bleach) and water and coat the mildew for a while, then scrub.

twigsblankets Sun 06-Sep-09 17:00:07

Bar Keepers Friend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now