Talk

Advanced search

So how do you get limescale off a granite worktop then? Because I haven't got a clue and it's all getting a bit icky.

(16 Posts)
neolara Mon 21-Jul-08 19:36:21

Any ideas? It's black granite but around the sink and draining board it's turned grey with all the build up.

neolara Mon 21-Jul-08 20:17:06

flowerybeanbag Mon 21-Jul-08 20:17:53

I wiped half a lemon round mine, came up very well.

brimfull Mon 21-Jul-08 20:38:40

fine steel wool and scrub

was told this by the guys installing it.

any scourer will do

brimfull Mon 21-Jul-08 20:39:28

lemon will erode the granite

you just need to scrub the limescale off,it won't affect the shine

flowerybeanbag Mon 21-Jul-08 20:40:28

oh will it ggirl? Oops. I've only done it once.. <<panics>>

brimfull Mon 21-Jul-08 20:42:09

yes anything with acid in it will damage the surface.

flowerybeanbag Mon 21-Jul-08 20:44:13

thanks for that, won't do it again!

whatdayisit Mon 21-Jul-08 20:55:04

ggirl, I've been cleaning my granite with vinegar for 4 years, hasn't eroded anything yet. Are you sure you're not thinking of marble, which will be damaged by anything acidic?

neolara I keep a plant spray bottle filled with half vinegar half water. Spray lightly, leave for 2-3 mins and wipe off comes up lovely and no damage here.

MrsThierryHenry Mon 21-Jul-08 23:28:01

Cover it in kitchen roll.

Sprinkle white vinegar all over it.

Leave it to soak for a few hours/ overnight is better.

In the morning, wipe it off!

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 21-Jul-08 23:30:40

Wipe half a lemon. Leave for a while. Rinse off. Et voila. Marble will erode. Granite will not.

brimfull Tue 22-Jul-08 08:40:13

well bugger me!

on the bumph I was given when it was installed it says to avoid all acidshmm

I'm liking the idea of a vinegar spray to avoid the build up...like those shower sprays.

flowerybeanbag Tue 22-Jul-08 09:25:29

<<gets out lemon again>>

Twinkie1 Tue 22-Jul-08 09:32:32

Oooohhhh am just about to go and attack draining board with a lemon then!

To keep surfaces looking great in between the Method Granite spray is ace.

neolara Tue 22-Jul-08 12:58:11

Thanks for all your replies. Am going to try them out later.

arfur Wed 23-Jul-08 17:34:49

I have granite and was told nothing could damage it apart from lemon juice! So we treat lemons like kryptonite here! This is quite interesting altho doesnt mention granite:-

Vinegar Cleaning uses
White vinegar is often used as a natural household cleaning agent. With most such purposes dilution with water is recommended for safety, reduced risk of damaging certain surfaces, and budgetary reasons. It is especially useful for cleaning mineral deposits on glass, inside a coffee maker, or other smooth surfaces. Vinegar is an excellent solvent for cleaning epoxy resin and epoxy hardener. It will even clean epoxy that is starting to harden. Care should be taken not to allow contact with the eyes (if such contact occurs, the eyes should be flushed immediately and persistently with warm water) or skin (the affected skin area should be washed thoroughly after use). See household chemicals.

Vinegar is also very good to clean off chewing gum stains from clothes; usually normal cleaning products are not capable to clean off chewing gum, so rubbing with vinegar before the machine wash should do the trick.

Diluted apple cider vinegar can be used to deep clean dreadlocks, removing residue and even beeswax. One method involves spraying a mixture of one part vinegar to four parts water onto the hair, letting it soak in, rinsing with water, and repeating this process as many times as necessary.

A few tablespoons of white vinegar mixed with a few teaspoons of common table salt makes an excellent cleanser for cleaning badly-stained stainless cookware. This vinegar and salt mixture can also remove oxidation from copper-clad cookware and make it shine with practically no rubbing required.

One cup of white vinegar to four cups of water (for a stronger solution, one cup of white vinegar to one cup of water works) makes a fine window-washing fluid, substituting for Windex. If windows appear streaky after washing with vinegar, add a half-teaspoon of liquid soap to the mix. This removes the waxy, streak-causing residue left over by commercial window cleaners.

Drains can be cleaned by using a combination of vinegar and baking soda. Pour one-half cup baking soda down the drain, followed by half a cup of white vinegar. Let sit for a while. Cover the drain while it works, then pour a tea kettle full of boiling water down the drain. This is a good way to prevent build-up in the drain.

Vinegar also works well as a fabric softener; just add half a cup to the rinse cycle.

Add a cup of vinegar to an empty dishwasher and run through the washing cycle to remove mineral deposits and odors. You can also put it in the rinse dispenser instead of Jet Blue.

Removing odors using commercial cleaners often causes damage to surfaces. Vinegar can act as a very effective odor-remover especially in situations involving sensitive surfaces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now