Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for a cheap, but effective cordless vacuum?

(17 Posts)
JemIsMyNameNooneElseIsTheSame Tue 15-Aug-17 21:21:45

Or do I need to pay big bucks to get something worth having? I'd really like to start only having to let Henry out of the cupboard of doom once a week. Thanks!

rabbit123 Wed 16-Aug-17 10:04:46

If it's not going to be your main vacuum and you still want to use Henry, you don't need anything amazing - just something to pick the bits up off the floor between proper vacuuming.

Something like this should be fine
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00TQSOI6O/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1502874210&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=cordless+vacuum+cleaner&dpPl=1&dpID=31b2MNm0C%2BL&ref=plSrch&tag=mumsnetforum-21

Purplemac Wed 16-Aug-17 15:50:31

Whatever you do, don't get a morphy richards. Ours is awful, it picks it up but just drops it once it's turned off!

rabbit123 Wed 16-Aug-17 16:01:32

Purplemac are you sure it's not just blocked?

Purplemac Thu 17-Aug-17 19:56:39

rabbit I wish, it has been awful since we first got it and I check it regularly for blockages.

rabbit123 Thu 17-Aug-17 20:28:48

That's disappointing. A friend has one as their upstairs vac and thinks it's pretty good. I've never used it though

penny14 Thu 17-Aug-17 21:55:56

I didn't want to spend big bucks on a cordless for the flooring in open plan kitchen/dining/living area so bought a Vax for £120. At first I thought it was good but within 3m it totally lost suction and like pp said it would spit out all of the crumbs when switched off! Grrr

I took it back and bought a Dyson v8 absolute and it's amazing! I can now get rid of the heavy Henry as the v8 is great on carpets as well.

I would thoroughly recommend spending the extra money on the Dyson if you can afford it. I got it from a website for £385...2year warranty lies with Dyson.

e1y1 Fri 18-Aug-17 03:04:14

I have only had a vax cordless (£250) and I wasn't that enthused, in fact I gave it to charity. So price is definitely not an indicator of quality.

I haven't used one, but the cleaners at work use the GTech Air Rams sometimes, and they do look good.

I don't have a cordless vac now, I just think we're nowhere near them being able to replace a corded cleaner.

Also, you hoover once a week? How? I want to know, I'm jealous.

e1y1 Fri 18-Aug-17 03:05:58

Ah stupid me, just seen you want to reduce Henry to once a week.

I was hoping to extract secrets from you on keeping a carpet clean enough for a once a week vacuum.

Mum2OneTeen Fri 18-Aug-17 03:14:35

I've got an Electrolux Ergorapido 18v Pet cordless. It's great, has a furniture brush attachment which is for Ddog fur. Much lighter & easier than my Dyson ball for a quick whizz around. Also have used a Bosch cordless in a BnB, it was good too but rather exact.

Mum2OneTeen Fri 18-Aug-17 03:17:42

Oh, and I like poked at cordless Dyson but returned it 'cos charge doesn't last long ( less than half the time of the Electrolux). It was also poorly balanced (weight at top) and I didn't like that you hand to hold it on rather than just switch it on... Hard for my arthritic hands. Very exact too!

Mum2OneTeen Fri 18-Aug-17 03:20:30

# looked (not poked...in a waiting room without my glasses)

Mum2OneTeen Fri 18-Aug-17 03:21:28

# very expensive (gah!)

Rafflesway Sat 19-Aug-17 17:18:56

I feel your pain Purple 🤕.

I have the same problem with my Morphy Richards cordless!

I find it is reasonably ok on carpets but absolutely useless on the slate tiles I have in the kitchen and Utility plus ceramic tiles I have on both bathroom floors.👿 I empty mine at least twice a week too so definitely not blocked.

I will manage with it until the guarantee runs out in 2 years - have a cheap Argos Simply corded/bagless which I use once per week for deep cleaning and this has astounding suction - and then will definitely buy something else.

JemIsMyNameNooneElseIsTheSame Sun 20-Aug-17 20:05:04

Thanks for the recommendations. I fear that a Dyson is the only way to go. I've never before looked for a certain product with so many conflicting reviews. Basically every vacuum I look at under £100 has reviews that alternate between "This is the best thing I've ever bought" to "Don't bother. Can't even inhale a crumb", as shown with the Morphy Richards rec upthread grin

JT05 Sun 20-Aug-17 22:51:11

Dyson v6 was an Curry's sale at under £200.

HappenstanceMarmite Sun 20-Aug-17 22:54:45

I've recently heard rave reviews about the Shark. From people who own Ragdoll cats = loads of fur! Apparently currently on sale at QVC for £149. I'd be considering it if I hadn't recently bought a Dyson V6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now