Talk

Advanced search

Indesit Washing Machine- what is drawer 1 for!?!?!

(14 Posts)
akpounce Tue 25-Apr-17 16:39:33

Ok this is the lamest and possibly most embarrassing question but...

I got a new washing machine. When I am looking at the instructions it says the detergent dispenser drawer has 3 compartments. 1, 2, 3. Then...

! Do not pour detergent into compartment 1.
Detergent should only be poured into compartment 2.
Compartment 2: Detergent for the wash cycle (powder or liquid)
Compartment 3 : Additives

Ok well... what is compartment 1 FOR then? I have googled and can't see! It's pretty big, LOOKS like detergent should go in but no...

Ok disclaimer, I am not originally from the UK and this is a different set up than I am used to. Also in our previous washer here, it didn't have a manual and we may have used compartment 1 a lot and now I'm wondering how much I contributed to breaking it!

Please help!

DimpleDumpling Tue 25-Apr-17 16:42:28

Do you have a pic as some are different

Mu123 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:46:26

Nothing goes in it in my house, unless im putting bleach in with the wash. I thought it was just for the water?

Mu123 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:48:11

As in the machine fills up using just water through compartment one, then fills some more with soap powdery water from 2 etc

dementedpixie Tue 25-Apr-17 16:48:48

Some machines would use the other compartment for detergent for pre wash cycles. Maybe they just couldn't be bothered making a different drawer with fewer compartments

Marble2302 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:51:18

I put Vanish powder in mine if DD has stains on her clothes. I assumed that is what it is for confused

akpounce Tue 25-Apr-17 17:10:58

Thank you so much for responding! I hope I attached the picture properly. I guess the water just goes through compartment 1 but it just seems weird to me to even have a compartment then!

akpounce Tue 25-Apr-17 17:12:04

Marble2302 from googling it seems each machine is different. I just added my vanish to the powder detergent in compartment 2 this time around.

rabbit123 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:15:33

1 is prewash, 2 is main wash, 3 is conditioner

dementedpixie Tue 25-Apr-17 18:25:34

OPs machine says not to use compartment 1 though

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Tue 25-Apr-17 18:28:36

I have an indesit washing machine and I have been wondering this since I got it! Actually for the first month or so I had it I was putting the washing liquid in compartment 1, until I realised I wasn't meant to blush

starfishmummy Tue 25-Apr-17 18:37:07

I jsed to have an indeskt and the drawer looked just like that. Section one was to put the powder in if you are jsing the superwash setting - which is basically washing the clothes twice. Not all machines have superwash settings though. If you don't, I guess its just cheaper for them to use the same style drawer on every model.

starfishmummy Tue 25-Apr-17 18:38:23

Oops. Cant type tonight.blush

AwakeCantSleep Tue 25-Apr-17 18:40:34

Ex indesit owner here. Compartment 1 is for pre-wash. So only put detergent in there if using a pre-wash cycle, which I never have done in my entire life. My old indesit had an option for pre-wash; does yours, OP? Detergent for main wash cycle goes in department 2, as per instructions. My old indesit used to start the cold fill of the machine through compartment 1 but then quickly switch to compartment 2 (for a regular wash cycle). In any case, putting detergent in compartment 1 isn't going to break your machine. You simply may be left with detergent residue in the drawer which needs cleaning out.

As of yesterday I have a Bosch washing machine (old indesit was giving me grief with random error codes and refusal to open the door). I'm already missing the humble indesit, and it's only been a day... sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now