Here is my shower head - how do I best get the mould off it?

(10 Posts)
Cloudybutwarm Thu 21-Jul-16 11:42:01

Ugh, this has virtually appears over night.

Gave it a scrub with bathroom cleaner but it's not shifting. Can anyone recommend the best thing to do to get rid of it?

cherrytree63 Thu 21-Jul-16 11:48:58

Viakal (or the Lidls cheaper version is really good) and a toothbrush works for me!

ginghamstarfish Thu 21-Jul-16 11:51:38

Spray with Dettol Mould and Mildew remover - it's a kind of bleach spray and works wonders, much better than actual bleach. I have to use it very sparingly as we have a septic tank, but it's still very good. Failing that, soak the head in a bleach solution for as long as you can.

LagartijaNick Thu 21-Jul-16 11:52:40

Bleach? Or leave it in a bucket with bleachy water for a while? I'm just replying because your thread title is so beautifully phrased - to the point, no typos, even a photo!

nannybeach Thu 21-Jul-16 12:20:01

white wine venegar cheap as chips, stuff the shower head in a sarni bag, add the venegar leave to soak for an hour

PetraStrorm Thu 21-Jul-16 12:26:14

HG mould spray is terrifyingly effective. The mould vanishes before your eyes. I have a mould-prone bathroom and it's the best thing I've found.

mariemason Fri 22-Jul-16 07:41:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

headffirst Fri 22-Jul-16 10:01:04

I'd try HG mould cleaner. A friend recommended it to me on Teepee, my fav new recommendations app, and it works a treat. Just make sure to take the right precautions when using it and keep the little ones away if you're using it in a confined space.

Rafflesway Fri 22-Jul-16 16:58:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PigletJohn Fri 22-Jul-16 23:01:45

The black specks are probably mildew, and bleach or mould cleaner will kill it.

However if is probably living on the rough and absorbent coating of limescale, whitch bathroom cleaner, or limescale remover, will break down.

It is easier to clean shower heads if you unscrew the stalk from the threaded collar on the hose. There is a rubber washer to prevent drips and leaks. If you lose it buy a pack of new ones from the plumbing shelf. If the shower head is very bad you can screw on a new head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now